• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Collector or Hoarder

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I’m noticing a very troubling trend were people who claim to be gamers and collectors are crossing the line and becoming flat-out hoarders. Maybe you've seen their videos? They’re easy to identify as you usually have a guy with shelves chock full or old games, peripherals, figures and plushes telling you about the games he recently purchased. Often times these types are also subtly trying to convince you to start collecting and to ignore the fact that retro game collecting has gotten outrageously expensive.

There are many possible explanations for the video game hoarding phenomenon. One is that several game genres themselves tend to promote excessive collecting. This can quickly become the catalyst for the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) of purchasing hundreds if not thousands of games that will never actually fulfill their intended purpose of being played.

Another possible reason for this disease that is even recognized by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) is the fact that many gamers are getting older. Nostalgia can also spark the desire to hunt down an old favorite game and suddenly the susceptible gamer decides to purchase every game for that console or from that particular era. Perhaps the gamer realizes that their skill has diminished and rather than give up on the hobby entirely they hoard to still be involved in the gaming scene.

That leads to the final reason. Many gamers have their identity tied to the inherent excesses surrounding video gaming as a hobby. Often times, to become a skilled gamer one must posses an almost unnatural competitive spirit which can even spill over in to bragging rights as to who has the most games in their collection.

Whatever the reason, I’m getting the sense that these hoarders are driving up retro video game prices beyond the natural law of supply and demand. As we all know, when that happens a bursting bubble is sure to follow and I fear that the time for such a correction is near given the harsh realities of present day global economics. So my advice to you is this; before you order that old game you've always wanted from Ebay, stop for a moment and weigh out its true potential cost not only to your wallet but also to your psyche.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
I agree some are hoarders.

I try and collect specific series or franchises. I think some people call themselves collectors and are flat out hoarders. If you're trying to collect every SNES cart that's one thing. If you go to a flea market and buy a sega genesis game you will never play, a turbo graffix controller and don't own the console, and maybe your third virtual boy; there's a good chance you're a hoarder.

I never really understood collecting for the activity of simply collecting. I just want to collect stuff I know I would like to play multiple times or years later.

dirt

Smash Rookie
While i think that there are some that do tend to obsessively collect games they have no intention of playing (which is a shame) or to complete a specific console's library i think these collectors are few and far between. From my experience collecting has been a wonderful experience of learning people's histories with their old consoles, discovering some of my now favorite series and games, and learning quite a lot about game art and design. I would definitely call myself a collector but my library is only 150 some games.
Whatever the reason, I’m getting the sense that these hoarders are driving up retro video game prices beyond the natural law of supply and demand. As we all know, when that happens a bursting bubble is sure to follow and I fear that the time for such a correction is near given the harsh realities of present day global economics. So my advice to you is this; before you order that old game you've always wanted from Ebay, stop for a moment and weigh out its true potential cost not only to your wallet but also to your psyche.
I think this statement is pretty unfair- wherever a demand for something comes from it is still a demand. I don't think there any sort of unnatural demand for anything (aside from speculative markets but hey let's not get into economics here). It's a shame that many of us will never play some very special games on console but sometimes (i can vouch for once myself) it's been worth it to spend quite a bit of money on something you'll really treasure.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I think this statement is pretty unfair- wherever a demand for something comes from it is still a demand. I don't think there any sort of unnatural demand for anything (aside from speculative markets but hey let's not get into economics here).
There are a lot of factors that can stimulate demand and one is the false representation that a game will be worth more in the future. That's true for a select few games but not for most. Simply stated; many collectors aren't truly aware of the factors that make things genuinely collectable and thus they tend to hoard everything.

dirt

Smash Rookie
There are a lot of factors that can stimulate demand and one is the false representation that a game will be worth more in the future. That's true for a select few games but not for most. Simply stated; many collectors aren't truly aware of the factors that make things genuinely collectable and thus they tend to hoard everything.
Ah now i see what you're saying; there very much is a speculative market with many games (i've seen such especially with older entries in long running series). As far as actual hoarding goes, i think it stems from some much deeper psychological problems than simply making an investment

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't collect games, but I collect imported figures, alcohol, and stuffed turtles

Though I only collect the ones I like. I don't go getting a figure just because it happens to be in a line

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Most of the research I've done seems to point to hoarding as being a form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). What's really troubling is that hoarding tends to be a progressive disease which means that it only gets worse over time.

This is an interesting video that delves deeper in to the video game hoarding phenomenon.

A lot of those guys doing those video game collecting videos on YouTube are a kind of hoarder and they're not even aware of it. You'll often hear them say that they're so busy "collecting" and making videos that they don't even have time to game anymore. Sad. :' (

finalark

SNORLAX
There are many possible explanations for the video game hoarding phenomenon. One is that several game genres themselves tend to promote excessive collecting. This can quickly become the catalyst for the Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) of purchasing hundreds if not thousands of games that will never actually fulfill their intended purpose of being played.
I think you just described Steam Sale Syndrome right here.

I used to be somewhat into game collecting, specifically SEGA stuff, but then I noticed that I ended up having a number of games that I played once or twice but never actually touched beyond that. I think that collecting in general brings out the obsessive side in people and its very easy to get wrapped up in it without realizing exactly how much money you're throwing out the window. It took me just taking a gander at the prices of Saturn games after buying the console to decide that my collecting days were over.

I don't think that there's anything inherently wrong with being into game collecting (everyone enjoys games differently, after all). I just think if you're going to dive into the ocean be ready to throw a lot of your disposable income out the window.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I like to think myself as an amateur collector. I have some games and some editions of games that not many have. The only thing is that I'm not going to pick out any game on the shelf in a video game store. A game I pick up, I plan on playing.
I have a Super Famicom and a Super NES. I play games on the Super Famicom that I couldn't otherwise play on the Super NES. Example: I'm a huge Godzilla fan. There's this great Godzilla fighting game that was only released on the Famicom. So I bought that for around 40 bucks. But I'm not going to pick up some random Japanese game that I've never heard of before.

I also own a Virtual Boy I bought for around 70 bucks that came with half the collection of games.
It's my Wario Land machine, because the game is actually great.
Too bad one of the eye sockets is broken...

Last edited:

Gbay99

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gbay99
3DS FC
2638-1251-9805
I can kind of understand where a collector may come from.

If you play through a game for the first time, and you think it's the greatest game ever, by far your favorite, you want to "own" everything that has to do with that game. A copy of it on every console, merchandise, statues, skinned consoles, etc. I can sympathize with that and understand where those people are coming from. If you have all these amazing experiences with video games in your life, collecting can be a way of making sure you keep them around forever.

But yeah, those few who do only collect for the sake of "having" do come off as hoarders (especially if they never play some/most of their games)

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Many of the top thinkers who I follow contend that video game hoarding is simply part of the "induced childishness" that's sweeping some western countries. Basically, the theory goes that as many people (primarily but not exclusively men) find themselves unable to cope with the harsh reality of climate change and economic collapse they retreat ever further in to a delusion of fantasy where hoarding seems completely natural.

finalark

SNORLAX
Many of the top thinkers who I follow contend that video game hoarding is simply part of the "induced childishness" that's sweeping some western countries. Basically, the theory goes that as many people (primarily but not exclusively men) find themselves unable to cope with the harsh reality of climate change and economic collapse they retreat ever further in to a delusion of fantasy where hoarding seems completely natural.
That seems a bit extreme.

And honestly, I haven't heard anyone ***** about climate change since, like, 2007. I can understand economic issues, but IMO pointing to climate change is stretching it.

I think the real reason why people hoard (just speaking in general) is that some people just have a hard time letting go of things. It's like when you get a super-powerful item in a game but you don't want to use it because you're afraid that you might need it later but in real life.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
That seems a bit extreme.

And honestly, I haven't heard anyone ***** about climate change since, like, 2007. I can understand economic issues, but IMO pointing to climate change is stretching it.
Don't underestimate the impact of environmental issues on people's psyche. For example, it's well known that areas that don't get much sunlight often have inhabitants who suffer from deep depression. Ironically, the same is true now of Australian summers which are often so hot that the people of that continent are mind-numbingly miserable. I suspect that's why we've seen a huge uptick in Australian retro video game collectors even though the prices of classic games there are usually outrageous.

Top Bottom