• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Collectible Farming in Smash Wii U

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
With the roulette wheel trick gone, we've lost a great deal of control over how we farm collectibles such as trophies and custom moves. However, the Wii U version has even more methods than the 3DS version where you can farm collectibles. I'll be updating this with some of my own results with each method, and I'd like to have a lot of people also submitting their data for these modes.

Without further ado, here are the methods:

CRAZY ORDERS
By far the best way to unlock anything (it's the best way to unlock CDs bar none, and it cannot be beaten at all in terms of quantity when you get good at it). The 10 minute limit is way more than you think, and you're able to consistently get at least 10 rounds in about 5 minutes. Within those 10 rounds, you can expect to get, on average, 20 collectibles. Losing is minimal, though I haven't calculated how much of your loot you lose when you die. By far the best attribute of this mode for collectible farming is the hints the game gives you when selecting the ticket, so you can determine if the ticket is worth going for (this is especially valuable if you're going for CDs)

Trophy Rush
I'd only bother with this one if you're going for trophies (you can get about 25 without much work in two and a half minutes), but in terms of collecting custom moves, it's not worth it unless you're really good at it. I've heard reports of people getting 6 customs per run, which would make this worthwhile, but most of the time I've seen people get around 3 parts.

Master Orders
For being fundamentally similar to Crazy Orders, you'd think that it'd be worthwhile for farming. However, the biggest difference between them is the increasing difficulty from Crazy Orders, which isn't present with Master Orders. The increasing difficulty is what results in Crazy Orders giving so many collectibles over time. In addition, you consistently have to deal with the modifications that aren't present in Crazy Orders (such as you being tiny, or your opponents being metal etc. I do need to see if there is a correlation between the difficulty of the ticket and the reward.

Classic Mode
While it performs much different from the 3DS version, it's the same in practice. However, while the roulette rigging is gone, you now are able to challenge fighters that guarantee a custom part or trophy (evident by the red wrench or green trophy on the fighter's trophy). In addition, intruders can enter and they will also possess a wrench or trophy icon (and from what I've seen, they don't replace another fighter with a custom part or trophy). Master Core appears on 5.5 or higher and cannot be skipped. Master Fortress appears on 8.0 or higher and is a genuine pain in the rear. Due to both of these, I'm not sure how useful Classic Mode is at 5.5 intensity or higher as the Master Core/Fortress are very time consuming fights. It's also worth noting that the quantity of your loot increases with intensity.

Beyond these four modes, I think that's it. You're able to get some trophies, CDs and moves through Challenges but those are all pre-determined. VS Mode drops them too but they are rather rare. Events will also unlock trophies. I'm not sure if Smash Tour farms customs and I don't want to experiment with it as the mode is honestly one of my least favorite things in video games from my recent memory.

tl;dr version: Crazy Orders is by far the most optimum way to farm collectibles, with the exception of Trophy Rush for trophies. Use Master Orders and Classic Mode to buff your coin count and to collect Crazy Order Passes to keep playing in the mode.

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
Not sure if you have done All-Star much, but on hard I was leaving with about 5 custom moves or gear by the last round. Finishing it usually about 6.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Amiibos are literally your personal farmers. They bring back collectibles if you let them fight.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Regarding Master Fortress, that phase gets skipped completely in co-op mode. Therefore, you only have to worry about Master Fortress when playing solo.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I'd add in the Amiibos, ilke sonicbrawler said, and also Smash Tour. It might not be the most time efficient for getting custom special moves, but you get a decent amount of collectibles overall.

Starbound

I don't have any amiibos so I can't test them myself. But if you guys want to collect data on them, I can throw them in the OP.

Sounds like I should be testing All-Star mode out. I've only done the mode once (and that was to blaze through to get Dark Pit) so I'm not very familiar with it.

Exatron

Smash Rookie
How do you actually collect the items the Amiibos bring back? I only briefly got to play with mine once last night. I noticed after I exited, they each had a gift icon when I was going through the process of saving their data. But I never got any notifications about what the gifts were or if I had received them. Is there some other step to actually receive the gifts, or is there just no notification about what you actually receive?

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
I was thinking I I think it might be possible to make a cd grinder in this game. Instead of using conveyor belts, you use slopes greater than 45 degrees in order to guide sandbags to a singular location. I'm yet to work on it, but I'll post about it if I get it done.

Hyruleslink

Smash Journeyman
Sandbags don't yield any prizes, unfortunately. Do the amiibos ever get CDs from fighting each other?

Starbound

Did some work with All Star mode and I can sort of see what makes it viable for farming.

I got 7 custom parts (one after each round and two before the last round) on All Star Mode hard. This doesn't come close to touching Crazy Orders, and I'm not sure what intensity of Classic Mode it's equivalent too, but it's quick and free. I'll have to run some tests comparing it to various intensities of Classic Mode but I do think it's a possible option.

Crazy Orders still remains the undisputed king right now. After 9 minutes of Crazy Orders I was rolling in items (24 items from my 15 tickets and Crazy Hand dropped over 11 chests [the more tickets you complete, the more chests he drops] resulting in 35 items). I honestly don't see numbers like this getting surpassed any time soon.

SilverhandX

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverhandX
I haven't messed around too much with Crazy Orders yet, but I've found that Smash Tour gives a ton of items. Shortest game settings take about 15 minutes and you get a good amount of stuff regardless of if you win or not. Too bad it's an awful gamemode.

MrRoboto

Smash Rookie
NNID
pikminthrow
3DS FC
2294-3983-5754
what im trying to find out is how you make the sandbag farm in ssb4 wii u cus i already have places to go when i need items
(smash tour which has the WORST LUCK FOR ME EVER, classic, and both orders) but i still need a way to get all teh music discs :/ and i may have an idea, using slopes and lava :)

Last edited:

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
With the roulette wheel trick gone, we've lost a great deal of control over how we farm collectibles such as trophies and custom moves. However, the Wii U version has even more methods than the 3DS version where you can farm collectibles. I'll be updating this with some of my own results with each method, and I'd like to have a lot of people also submitting their data for these modes.

Without further ado, here are the methods:

CRAZY ORDERS
By far the best way to unlock anything (it's the best way to unlock CDs bar none, and it cannot be beaten at all in terms of quantity when you get good at it). The 10 minute limit is way more than you think, and you're able to consistently get at least 10 rounds in about 5 minutes. Within those 10 rounds, you can expect to get, on average, 20 collectibles. Losing is minimal, though I haven't calculated how much of your loot you lose when you die. By far the best attribute of this mode for collectible farming is the hints the game gives you when selecting the ticket, so you can determine if the ticket is worth going for (this is especially valuable if you're going for CDs)

Trophy Rush
I'd only bother with this one if you're going for trophies (you can get about 25 without much work in two and a half minutes), but in terms of collecting custom moves, it's not worth it unless you're really good at it. I've heard reports of people getting 6 customs per run, which would make this worthwhile, but most of the time I've seen people get around 3 parts.

Master Orders
For being fundamentally similar to Crazy Orders, you'd think that it'd be worthwhile for farming. However, the biggest difference between them is the increasing difficulty from Crazy Orders, which isn't present with Master Orders. The increasing difficulty is what results in Crazy Orders giving so many collectibles over time. In addition, you consistently have to deal with the modifications that aren't present in Crazy Orders (such as you being tiny, or your opponents being metal etc. I do need to see if there is a correlation between the difficulty of the ticket and the reward.

Classic Mode
While it performs much different from the 3DS version, it's the same in practice. However, while the roulette rigging is gone, you now are able to challenge fighters that guarantee a custom part or trophy (evident by the red wrench or green trophy on the fighter's trophy). In addition, intruders can enter and they will also possess a wrench or trophy icon (and from what I've seen, they don't replace another fighter with a custom part or trophy). Master Core appears on 5.5 or higher and cannot be skipped. Master Fortress appears on 8.0 or higher and is a genuine pain in the rear. Due to both of these, I'm not sure how useful Classic Mode is at 5.5 intensity or higher as the Master Core/Fortress are very time consuming fights. It's also worth noting that the quantity of your loot increases with intensity.

Beyond these four modes, I think that's it. You're able to get some trophies, CDs and moves through Challenges but those are all pre-determined. VS Mode drops them too but they are rather rare. Events will also unlock trophies. I'm not sure if Smash Tour farms customs and I don't want to experiment with it as the mode is honestly one of my least favorite things in video games from my recent memory.

tl;dr version: Crazy Orders is by far the most optimum way to farm collectibles, with the exception of Trophy Rush for trophies. Use Master Orders and Classic Mode to buff your coin count and to collect Crazy Order Passes to keep playing in the mode.
I would add that for Trophy rush, you only end up with 4-5 equipments, but usually at least 2 of those are custom moves. (Much more likely than usual with equipment drops). Plus it's almost always for the character you choose. It's very useful for getting custom moves for specific characters. If you have any character that's lacking many custom moves, each run (set to 2 minutes) will get you at least 1 new custom move. I set it to 2 minutes because i rarely get any more equipment after the 2 minute mark. But 1-2 custom moves per 2 minutes seems pretty good to me.

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
I'll add that I've noticed in Classic, it's not the character you are or the character you fight against as much as the STAGE that gives you the BEST chance of a custom special. For instance, Mario Galaxy gives the most Mario character specials, and Skyworld gives Kid Icarus character specials the most. I don't know if this has been confirmed yet, but getting 3-4 (I'm very good at stopping the roulette where I want) custom specials related to the stage many, many times feels like more than a coincidence.

Maybe it's like Orders tickets, you'll get one for the stage and can get others after, I'm not sure. To get character specific customs, I find trophy rush gives the best chance of giving out for the character you're playing. You don't get many per round, but the ones you do get are most often the ones you want.

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
what im trying to find out is how you make the sandbag farm in ssb4 wii u cus i already have places to go when i need items
(smash tour which has the WORST LUCK FOR ME EVER, classic, and both orders) but i still need a way to get all teh music discs :/ and i may have an idea, using slopes and lava :)
Orders are the best place for these. Unlike other collectibles, you can't get a CD you already have, so every ticket that has one will give a new one.

Raijinken

Smash Master
PSA: The roulette wheel in classic is repetitive. It takes only a very average amount of memorization and counting in your head to stop the wheel consistently on what you're after. Especially if there's a "cluster" of 2-4 customs in a row.

Aside from that, Master Orders are also fine for CDs. Trophy Rush was my preferred method in the 3DS, and I still lean toward it since it weights the drops toward the character you're using. Most of these other methods don't, as the Orders give series-based rewards, Smash Tour doesn't let you really pick your character, etc.

But yea, good runs of Crazy Orders are definitely solid.

Top Bottom