• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Coins: let's find decent uses for them!

nessokman

Smash Lord
The coin cannon game in brawl was crappy.nobody used it much that I know. Let's brainstorm coins!

How to get-

Beating levels in story gets you a set amount (per level)
Fighting CPU gives coins at the end of a match.( depend on how many K.O you get And the CPU Strength)

Think up moar!

How to use them.

A coin canon gAme.
In game store to buy different costumes, items ETC.
DLC online store to buy new characters VIA download by paying coins you've collected.

Thoughts? Opinions?

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
I really liked the coin launcher game, but it got repetitive. And gambling in Melee only lead to future addictions.

But I like the idea of a store to purchase things.
Perhaps some things such as costumes, items, trophies, cds, taunts, etc. can be unlocked for purchase in the store through achieving something within the game.

Although many people would be pissed and say you have to do twice the work (do the achievement to unlock it, then purchase in the store) but it could put an emphasis on getting coins.

Some in-game challenges to get coins or unlock new purchases would be cool. Say something pops up that says "KO an opponent without taking damage" or "KO and opponent using a Star Rod" and you would unlock the item/costume/taunt/etc. (kind of like Super Mario Sluggers where challenges would pop up the odd time within a game and a completion of the task gets you one step closer to getting a new player on your team)

Kind of like challenges in Brawl but it would be more in-game oriented, so not something like "beat all-star with every character" it could be "KO an enemy with any B move" but you would only be able to complete it when it pops up on screen mid battle. And of course all the challenges would cycle around again, but it would make for an intense situation to try and complete it mid-battle.

But with Nintendo Land they made a game where you can use your hard earned coins to unlock prizes. So I think Nintendo will try another coin orientated game instead of just a general store.

But I really like the store idea

nessokman

Smash Lord
Well I doubt you'd have to unlock, and the. Buy it. That would be a d**k move by sakurai. The. Again he made tripping.....I could just see there being unlockables and a store to use coins to buy additional content.id like to be able to also have an online store to download new characters.then you could unlock your rooster and buy new ones on the shop as they are released

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Well I doubt you'd have to unlock, and the. Buy it. That would be a d**k move by sakurai. The. Again he made tripping.....I could just see there being unlockables and a store to use coins to buy additional content.id like to be able to also have an online store to download new characters.then you could unlock your rooster and buy new ones on the shop as they are released
I was just thinking how Call of Duty does it with new guns/attachments/etc.

You can only purchase a few things at the start, but as you play through more and complete achievements other things become available to purchase.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
yeah i could see a Smash Store. selling things like concept arts, trophies, music tracks, a couple stages, stage building pieces, maybe some game demos (like let's say you can play the first level of the original Mario or 10 min of the original LOZ), and of course alt costumes. it could def work. if Toads not playable he should def b the store clerk. or Barbara The Bat since in her game thats kinda her whole deal.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I think a Coin Launch minigame more developed could work. You know they can make different set of "levels" and "enemies" based on different franchises. Or make possible to change the music once in a while.

I can't really think of anything better.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't want Coin Launcher to return. Just have the lottery, that worked fine.

As for more uses for coins, I could see an in-game store where you use the coins you get to buy things like stage builder parts. I could also see it being an alternative way to unlock characters and stages. You would still have the traditional "perform X task, unlock character/stage Y", but as an alternative you could use coins to unlock them.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I certainly don't see coins being used for DLC, unless it requires a very grueling process and a lot of grinding for a single coin. Unlocking in-game material would be a great idea, whether character costumes, maybe character moves, parts for stage builder, etc.. There's a ton of opportunities with a revamped coin system.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
The only addiction the lottery gave me was for that MUSIC
Hoo boy.

My most major concern is not what the coins are used for, for of course they should be used for something awesome, yet the balance of how to attain coins, it should strike that pure level of 'you get coins for everything, you don't have to do repetitive things, and you don't get too many of them too fast.'
Use, like Claire said, character costumes and stage builder things would be awesome, yet those should unlock only the basic and essential color changes and stage builder things. I would like to reserve the more unique and cool costumes/stage builder things/gimmicks for dat challenge board (checkboard, like Kirby: Air Ride and SSBB), bruh.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Next question is: if in the story mode there are sellers, who would you like to meet? I'm for Tom Nook and Redd Fox.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Next question is: if in the story mode there are sellers, who would you like to meet? I'm for Tom Nook and Redd Fox.
Anna is a must. If Megaman gets in the game, I'm sure Auto or Roll could be shopkeepers as well. Toad if he's not playable, or maybe Toadsworth if Toad does become playable.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
The coin launcher was a pretty cool game, alot more interesting than the lottery. But I don't get why they don't just have a shop. Seriously nintendo's constant desire for innovation can sometimes be annoying. It would be really cool to walk into nook's shop for stickers, tingle's shop for trophies, some other dudes shop for items. Would be cool if ya had to travel across the various lands in adventure mode to find the shop yer looking for.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Barbara the Bats shop for music tracks, Tom Nook for stickers and that's about all i got. id like for them to all be from franchises that arent being repped but that would be trying to hard i guess

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
Personally I loved the Coin Shooter. So addictive... I hope they don't get rid of it.
Not sure I like the idea of an in-game shop. I'd have it be an alternative method to unlocking stuff in case you suck at the game and just want to farm coins off Very Easy Classic mode. Then again maybe extra taunts and costumes could work as shop exclusives. Hmm.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think it can be cut along with Coin battle in general because no one played that as well. Rather have an extra character or stage created for that development time.

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
There should be a way to make the shopkeeper mad at you and challenge you to a battle. To unlock them as a secret playable character. >:3

Powerstars

Smash Apprentice
There should be a way to make the shopkeeper mad at you and challenge you to a battle. To unlock them as a secret playable character. >:3
Agreed. I agree that you should be able to get new costumes (COSTUMES, not colors) and music through the shop. Perhaps have new content released for it online...DLC?

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I also think they should include some "bet events", where you can earn coins by betting them before the match.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The coin battle could be used to earn coins to spend in the lottery or coin launcher games.

D

Deleted member

I think lottery should return. Coin launcher was boring and inconvenient. I hope coins can be used to unlock stuff as well.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I like the idea of buying costumes. But they shouldn't be so expensive that people wear them online simply because of prestige.

Ecks

Smash Lord
DLC takes development time. Seeing as coins aren't real life currency, they'd just be working for free. Stuff that's already made like music from previous games, concept art or unlocking content would work just fine, but it wouldn't work for DLC (unless it's free DLC, that is).

I say just bring back the lottery and leave it at that. Focus that development time into something good instead.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
Suppose for a moment SSB4 developers have infinite time/wage resources, so that development time is not a concern. Then, my choice of use of coins would be an arcade. In case of coin launcher, you needed coins to keep playing; in case of arcade, you would have to use them to start playing, just like in real arcade. There would be a minigame for every series, and also a few crossover things, last but not least including All-Stars Pinball. You would unlock cabinets like everything else in game; in turn you could use them to get trophies.

Given that it seems like even implementation of Masterpieces could screw up development, I recognize this is probably unrealistic idea. But still.

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
PIKA321 said:
I think Nintendo should do what Midway did for their custom characters in Mortal Kombat Armageddon, earn coins from 1P modes, (We already get coins from classic so thats done.) then use them to buy moves, costumes, maybe even taunt phrases or something. I think most of the moves that you can buy should be moves from other characters though and only some be made for Miis, Miis could start with a set moveslist and you can add on other characters moves, like Link's arrows, or Fox's reflect, or maybe even Kirby's inhale. And they should have it so that each name can have a custom character. Then the names and smash coins will be useful. (Finally.)
Problem solved. (^Taken from the Mii Thread)

Top Bottom