• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Coins: Getting Them, Spending Them, and Hating Them

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
Coins have the very minimal uses of buying trophies, spectator 'gambling', and being allowed into classic mode or trophy rush. This much is no mystery. Getting them, however, requires either classic mode (which we can all agree is pretty much BS), all star mode (which grants barely any), smash mode (apparently online battles do not count, except for possibly 'with friends'), smash run, or trophy rush (which only nets you minor coin rebates rather than profits).

Attempting to play classic veers into masochism, between the rain of items and the terrible stages and a majority of fights being totally nonsensical to begin with, but taking a single hit from the end bosses will so oft immediately end your run, as well-- so, as with the stages, the second the ease of facing bots has you zoning out from boredom, you're suddenly getting taken out by a rain of instant-kill items in a 1v3 or three miles offstage from a damageless attack you forgot to spot-dodge or some such nonsense... I've had enough of that demented design in grinding (in futility) for freaking custom moves as-is (they simply never spawn).

In any case, I'm wondering at the quickest method of grinding coins. Repeating smash matches that aim for whatever triggers the maximum per-match, smash runs, or whatever-- but I'm done with classic grinding any more than absolutely damn necessary. My guess is that smash mode has the potential for the quickest gains, or perhaps spectator-betting, which looks to have the most effortless method, albeit it's literal gambling where classic's a veritable one, which mightn't be ideal.

Regardless, getting trophies from the shop is definitely the nearest to viable a method there is, given the simple fact that you can get duplicates for absolutely no reason beyond trolling completionists. Bleck.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It helps that the shop gives you a hint on what trophies you do not have yet. Trophies that you don't own are in silhouette form. Whereas, trophies that are fully visible are the ones you already own, and have no reason to purchase.

Jigglypumped

Smash Cadet
It helps that the shop gives you a hint on what trophies you do not have yet. Trophies that you don't own are in silhouette form. Whereas, trophies that are fully visible are the ones you already own, and have no reason to purchase.
It also says "Unlocked" if you already have the trophy.

Elixir Soup

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stickkid12
3DS FC
5069-4931-8546
I find myself with no coins most of the time due to the trophy shop and rush. I go on classic and smash run to get more, but when I spectate, I bet 100g on a team with like a 70% win rate and then they completely fail against 50% people :(

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
When I found out that the "Classic on intensity 9.0" challenge can't be avoided with Golden Hammers, I had to stop spending gold on trophies. That way, while I was working on completing Classic and All-Star with everyone, I could bulk up my gold supply during the process. I had over 70000G by the time I took Classic Mode's intensity level up a notch.

Once I've conquered intensity level 9.0 though, I went back to using my gold for the shop and Trophy Rush.

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
I think you should take a look at this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKby5OKOE1U&list=PL-vQf5rVyPXBqMLvjBS8Pma0ZIC_32eG9

It shows Ninjalink using a special trick he discovered to guarantee custom moves on the classic mode roulette, but it can be used to guarantee coins too.
I've never missed the top custom move slot on the roulettes, it's just the fact that it takes me 3-5 runs to get a single custom move I don't already own, even when using a character for which I have almost none. Ease of the roulette aside, my luck for RNG is some of the world's worst.

I've already done all the challenges but the 'get all custom moves' bit, in any case, so those 'forced coin accruements' are behind me, and I've always only bought trophies that were blacked out as being unowned-- and now I'm flat broke on coins. I'm sure I have most of the trophies, given how many rerolls it takes to find new ones at the shop, but I'm clearly not finished, so coins I shall grind...

Either way, RNG aside, the method for custom moves is a known thing-- it's just that classic for coins is too... well, stupid, frankly, for my tastes, and I was wondering at the alternatives and how they stack up.

EpicFlyingTaco

Smash Cadet
I've never missed the top custom move slot on the roulettes, it's just the fact that it takes me 3-5 runs to get a single custom move I don't already own, even when using a character for which I have almost none. Ease of the roulette aside, my luck for RNG is some of the world's worst.

I've already done all the challenges but the 'get all custom moves' bit, in any case, so those 'forced coin accruements' are behind me, and I've always only bought trophies that were blacked out as being unowned-- and now I'm flat broke on coins. I'm sure I have most of the trophies, given how many rerolls it takes to find new ones at the shop, but I'm clearly not finished, so coins I shall grind...

Either way, RNG aside, the method for custom moves is a known thing-- it's just that classic for coins is too... well, stupid, frankly, for my tastes, and I was wondering at the alternatives and how they stack up.
I heard somewhere that multi man melee is a decent way to get coins. I'm not entirely sure how good, but I do know its a decent way. Or, if your good at predicting, you can go to online spectator mode and bet coins, but that way probably wouldn't be all to fun for you.

Belgrim

Smash Apprentice
Smash run had the best yield for coins. Make sure you collect those smash emblems. It's big money especially the golden smash emblems I ended a battle with 642 coins. Also smash run gives a ton of parts

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
I heard somewhere that multi man melee is a decent way to get coins. I'm not entirely sure how good, but I do know its a decent way. Or, if your good at predicting, you can go to online spectator mode and bet coins, but that way probably wouldn't be all to fun for you.
In beating all the 100-man melee 'for each character' sorts of things, I got exactly zero coins, unfortunately. If I did get coins, I'd probably use that as excuse to get every character under 2 minutes rather than just under 3... though, thinking of it, there's quite a few characters who'd drive me insane by even attempting that (Sheik comes to mind...).
Smash run had the best yield for coins. Make sure you collect those smash emblems. It's big money especially the golden smash emblems I ended a battle with 642 coins. Also smash run gives a ton of parts
Really? Well now that's certainly handy-- the average just 'smash' mode fight lasts a similar duration for a bit under 200, for me, while All Stars nets more like 300 and classic a bit over 2000 if I don't roulette coins nor continue... but that's in 9.0, where BS rather decides your fate, and that takes a decent bit longer than a smash run anyway...

Will try some smash runs to see if it makes a notable difference in my coins, then-- particularly since even the 'lose to stupidity' aspect doesn't forfeit coins like the 'gambling' options.

Belgrim

Smash Apprentice
B
In beating all the 100-man melee 'for each character' sorts of things, I got exactly zero coins, unfortunately. If I did get coins, I'd probably use that as excuse to get every character under 2 minutes rather than just under 3... though, thinking of it, there's quite a few characters who'd drive me insane by even attempting that (Sheik comes to mind...).

Really? Well now that's certainly handy-- the average just 'smash' mode fight lasts a similar duration for a bit under 200, for me, while All Stars nets more like 300 and classic a bit over 2000 if I don't roulette coins nor continue... but that's in 9.0, where BS rather decides your fate, and that takes a decent bit longer than a smash run anyway...

Will try some smash runs to see if it makes a notable difference in my coins, then-- particularly since even the 'lose to stupidity' aspect doesn't forfeit coins like the 'gambling' options.
be sure to max out your fighters defense and also equip powers to avoid bs deaths. You unlock powers from smash run. I use meteor shower because of its wide affect along with dealing over 100 damage when all 3 meteors hit. This makes taking down large and powerful foes like the bulborb a breeze.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
This might be slightly unrelated to the topic at hand, but I feel that with all the coinnage for all the modes I frequently play (Smash, Smash Run, Trophy Rush, etc.), the supply seems virtually limitless even in the 10,000 range. A lot of the trophies are relatively cheap and if I have insufficient funds, I can always override the price with my absurd Play Coin count (some prices of which are ridiculous in themselves).

The effort in maintaining a high number feels worthless, honestly.

Last edited:

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
B
be sure to max out your fighters defense and also equip powers to avoid bs deaths. You unlock powers from smash run. I use meteor shower because of its wide affect along with dealing over 100 damage when all 3 meteors hit. This makes taking down large and powerful foes like the bulborb a breeze.
I've just used my usual 'attack over 100, the rest near 0, maybe some abilities' sort of equipment along with Heal (lv 3, I think?). Powers tend to vary (mostly use horizontal beam along with maybe power bomb or the swords, but the high level missiles can be nice as well), but I only tend to use them to clear out challenge rooms or miniboss sort of foes. Smash run itself isn't that bothersome, but the challenges being random, stats being difficult to focus in, and lacking online make it a bit boring to me, as it lacks strategery [SIC].
This might be slightly unrelated to the topic at hand, but I feel that with all the coinnage for all the modes I frequently play (Smash, Smash Run, Trophy Rush, etc.), the supply seems virtually limitless even in the 10,000 range. A lot of the trophies are relatively cheap and if I have insufficient funds, I can always override the price with my absurd Play Coin count (some prices of which are ridiculous in themselves).

The effort in maintaining a high number feels worthless, honestly.
I don't even know what 'play coins' are-- I'd just assumed it was something that costs money and thus ignored them. Trophy rush doesn't net a profit of coins, and I lack for local smash/smash run people, so I've mostly been playing online-- I'd had people local for brawl and before, so the 'coin shortage' bit is new for me.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Play Coins are tokens that are generated on the 3DS every 200 steps you take while holding the system. Just shaking the system will generate them if you do it long enough. You can only get 10 at a time unless you reset the counter by going to System Settings and reset the date then return it to the current.

Last edited:

Ryik

Smash Cadet
I have way too much coins.

I burn them on Trophy Rush mode and play Classic for High Scores rather than coin generation, so even dying stupid deaths repeatedly and everything, I get more than I burn. I can burn 5k on trophy rush, then immediately somehow make 10k when I go back to playing. It's frankly harder to get rid of them than it is to earn them.

Though it might have something to do with me also having an abundance of play coins and only using them on the shop.

I don't think I'm doing anything differently? Classic Mode, Smash Run and regular smash mashes are probably my biggest sources of income.

Last edited:

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
Play Coins are tokens that are generated on the 3DS every 200 steps you take while holding the system. Just shaking the system will generate them if you do it long enough. You can only get 10 at a time unless you reset the counter by going to System Settings and reset the date then return it to the current.
Steps? Ah, that'd explain why I have exactly zero. Got a 3ds for the games, not the portability-- I lack the grace to be taking two steps with anything in hand that I don't immediately expect will be dropped and broken. Hm. Guess I could always tape it to the ceiling fan, but that seems like a great way to be breaking both that and a window... Still, good to know.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In beating all the 100-man melee 'for each character' sorts of things, I got exactly zero coins, unfortunately. If I did get coins, I'd probably use that as excuse to get every character under 2 minutes rather than just under 3... though, thinking of it, there's quite a few characters who'd drive me insane by even attempting that (Sheik comes to mind...)
It makes you wonder how Sheik and Greninja are doing good online, because they can feel very pathetic sometimes when you're playing the Smash final event in Smash Run. You think Shadow Sneak will help? Nope, the CPU "knows" how to counter it, rendering it useless. And Sheik lacks KO power with most of her attacks.

It might just be me, but it almost feels like Sheik and Greninja are overrated. Coincidentally, it took me over a minute longer to complete 100-Man Smash with Sheik (3:30.85) and Greninja (3:22.66) than when I used Rosalina (2:17.95) and Zero Suit Samus (2:24.25).

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
It makes you wonder how Sheik and Greninja are doing good online, because they can feel very pathetic sometimes when you're playing the Smash final event in Smash Run. You think Shadow Sneak will help? Nope, the CPU "knows" how to counter it, rendering it useless. And Sheik lacks KO power with most of her attacks.

It might just be me, but it almost feels like Sheik and Greninja are overrated. Coincidentally, it took me over a minute longer to complete 100-Man Smash with Sheik (3:30.85) and Greninja (3:22.66) than when I used Rosalina (2:17.95) and Zero Suit Samus (2:24.25).
Lacking an utilt with KO power will necessitate a worse time. Sheik, Greninja, and even ZSS are doing so well because they work as 'counters' to the current meta of 'spammy BS'. Likewise Little Mac, albeit given that Macs can do the exact same thing, that's why they cover For Glory like a plague. Better ftilt means better 100-man times. I can get under two minutes with DK or Lucina, and every character's capable of under 3, but Sheik's definitely one of the handful that keeps me from reaching 'max GSP' with every character (which, at the time I was doing so, was under 2:23 or so, but it's slowly been on the rise). Rosalina does well versus the spam given Luma seemingly exists for the explicit purpose of making her nearly impossible to hit with spammy specials or grabs, as well, for the record.

Either way, the play coins bit answers my question, as the trophy shop was the main issue, but I think I've had enough of smash regardless. Hopefully someone else will find that useful, in any case.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Why would you even want to get coins if your not going to 100% the game? Your going to have to beat classic with all characters eventually. get that out of the way now and clear allstar next, after your done with that play trophy rush for about 5-8 hours and wolla you got every trophy coins are useless to you now. And just because you failed classic doesn't mean you can't make a profit on 2.0 difficulty

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Just play normally.

You'd be surprised at how much you gain from just a few For Glory matches. Or hell, just run Classic mode with every character, that gets a lot of coins too.

Top Bottom