• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud Vs Donkey Kong Matchup Help!

danyal999

Smash Cadet
Really cant find any answers to beat a solid DK. The neutral i win most of the time but i can never edgeguard a DK. Then i get ding donged after having a lead all game. What should I do to win the matchup.

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
DK is honestly one of my least favorite match ups because of that exact reason. DK is an annoying MU because he gets so much out of his opponents mistakes. You will typically lose a stock if you make 3-4 mistakes in the neutral. I think the biggest and most important thing is to stay away from DK's grab and jab range. So avoid using jab/ftilt when infront of him, jump away and use fox trotting to mix up your movement instead of spot dodging/rolling in front of him, and probably most importantly let him make the first move. DK can't touch you if you just stay mobile, but he can kill you at absurdly low percents if he grabs you at the right percent, so at specific percentages, it makes almost every offensive option risk/reward ratio skewed into DK's favor. Therefore, move around DK with well spaced aerials, charge limit, fox trot, and punish him. Never go on the offensive.

Although kinda embarrassing, I'll post my own video of play at my local scene. Notice how I do really well when I'm patient and just whiff punish and when I don't I die. Hopefully it helps :)

danyal999

Smash Cadet
DK is honestly one of my least favorite match ups because of that exact reason. DK is an annoying MU because he gets so much out of his opponents mistakes. You will typically lose a stock if you make 3-4 mistakes in the neutral. I think the biggest and most important thing is to stay away from DK's grab and jab range. So avoid using jab/ftilt when infront of him, jump away and use fox trotting to mix up your movement instead of spot dodging/rolling in front of him, and probably most importantly let him make the first move. DK can't touch you if you just stay mobile, but he can kill you at absurdly low percents if he grabs you at the right percent, so at specific percentages, it makes almost every offensive option risk/reward ratio skewed into DK's favor. Therefore, move around DK with well spaced aerials, charge limit, fox trot, and punish him. Never go on the offensive.

Although kinda embarrassing, I'll post my own video of play at my local scene. Notice how I do really well when I'm patient and just whiff punish and when I don't I die. Hopefully it helps :)

Thank you for the reply. First of all lmao that taunt was hilarious. Second of all, yeah the ding dong i heard from DK players is really easy to do on cloud so yeah im gonna try to space fairs and nairs at most percents. Also that was the first time in my life ive seen a grab release kill. I didn't even know you could do that! Im gonna do that to my brother who plays luigi because sometime his up goes above the stage aswell, it should work the same. Up air juggling a DK, i need to practice more aswell, and if they air dodge the upair, im pretty sure I can throw out another fast move before they can after their airdodge. But until i get better, I play bowser or Bayo for DK, and i body them lol.

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
The grab release from up B only kills if the cloud uses their double jump. Because I'm bad/was nervous, I messed up the Up B and went too high. Not sure if it works on Luigi, keep in mind that he also has down B and his Up B has much better recovery. Nonetheless, it's worth looking into. Abusing DK when you are below him as Cloud is the main reason why you do so well vs him. You can bait an airdodge, or force an air dodge and then catch the ending. Using C stick aerials has really helped me with optimally spacing aerials. Oh and yea, Bayo is one of DK's worst MU (only one as bad imo is ZSS) I'd stick to using Bayo lol.

danyal999

Smash Cadet
The grab release from up B only kills if the cloud uses their double jump. Because I'm bad/was nervous, I messed up the Up B and went too high. Not sure if it works on Luigi, keep in mind that he also has down B and his Up B has much better recovery. Nonetheless, it's worth looking into. Abusing DK when you are below him as Cloud is the main reason why you do so well vs him. You can bait an airdodge, or force an air dodge and then catch the ending. Using C stick aerials has really helped me with optimally spacing aerials. Oh and yea, Bayo is one of DK's worst MU (only one as bad imo is ZSS) I'd stick to using Bayo lol.
Yeah I do it on luigi alot. But instead of grab release i do forward throw. Thanks for the tip.

Dance!!

Smash Rookie
I know I am bumping a several month old thread, but seeing how this is what comes up for the Cloud/DK match-up when I searched in Google I wanted to point out that even if you have burned your double jump you can avoid the DK grab release from killing you.

If you use a neutral B right after the grab release, the momentum cancel will be enough to make it so after the neutral B you can recover with an Up B. This works against other characters whose grab release normally kills at the ledge as well.

danyal999

Smash Cadet
I know I am bumping a several month old thread, but seeing how this is what comes up for the Cloud/DK match-up when I searched in Google I wanted to point out that even if you have burned your double jump you can avoid the DK grab release from killing you.

If you use a neutral B right after the grab release, the momentum cancel will be enough to make it so after the neutral B you can recover with an Up B. This works against other characters whose grab release normally kills at the ledge as well.

Oh thanks for the tip I didnt know that. I have yet to be killed by a grab release but if I do i will definitely keep that in mind. But if they forward throw instead of grab release im screwed lol

Top Bottom