• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud reveal reactions thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Title says it all: Post here what your reaction to Cloud's reveal was!

TBH I'm semi-unimpressed, even though I like Cloud. -he's one of those characters for me that will have to have had some real thought to their presence to impress me. He's basically the wild-card everyone expected in the sense that everyone I know kinda just went "Yeah, okay, we saw this coming." after the reveal hype died down.

I also think a lot of people are going to be disappointed with the whole "Here's another 'big swordy guy'." thing, but personally that's not my issue with Cloud. I'm just slightly baffled as to what tools he's going to bring to the table. My opinion of Cloud is basically uncoloured right now, but his moveset has some very intriguing things in it from the looks of it. He's incredibly fluid looking too I will say that, so from a gameplay standpoint he definitely interests me.

Cloud as a character alone isn't hype for me, but when we get to see more from his moveset, etc. then I might get really hyped. For me it all totally rests on how he plays. -just call me disinterested for now.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I didn't have a reaction. He was just there. The reveal pretty much broke past my ability to comprehend what I was looking at.

If we're talking about my opinion afterwards. Eh I'm not crazy about Cloud since Final Fantasy 7 wouldn't be one of my preferred Final Fantasy games but the stage looks really awesome all the same. In a way it feels a little mixed because I used to be a much bigger fan of Final Fantasy. Lately I haven't really been interested.

I have to admit it'll be really cool hearing that victory jingle after a match.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'm more excited at the prospect of Moogle assist trophies than I am for Cloud himself.

Other than that, pretty much neutral on him (aside from the fact that this brings the "pretty boy with a sword" count to, what? Like 12 now?).

I am, however, oddly finding myself missing the days when Sakurai chose characters because he thought they'd be neat instead of just choosing the most popular ones (and not even smash poll popular but just general popular).

I mean, is Master Chief next? Kratos? Lara Croft?

I think I'd feel different about it if Cloud had actually been on a Nintendo console at any point aside from one cameo in a DS Kingdom Hearts game, but this just seems odd. Hell, even Snake had had MGS: Twin Snakes on the GC just a generation earlier (which was ****ing amazing, BTW).

I hope they'll release the FFVI remake on a Nintendo console, at least. They're missing out on tons of cross promotion, if nothing else...

I guess I'm happy to see Square and Nintendo playing nice, though.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
When I saw the "X", I knew that it would be a guest.

When I saw "Final Fantasy", I was like "... oooooh!"

When I saw the VII, though... Seven? Seven? SEVEN?!

Although I'm kinda not impressed by his moveset (like Ryu, it seems to stem from the old school games, but it's doesn't have the same feeling as ryu, for me), I was simply impressed by... Well. Cloud. This guy.

It's Snake announcement 2.0, considering the remake of FF7 on PS4.

The Midgar stage looks absolutely cool, though! For this only I can buy Cloud. And I will buy him, as I still want to try his gameplay.

Last edited:

Gimmick

Smash Ace
At first I was like "Wait! What?! CLOUD!!!," but then I calmed down and thought, "Meh." I don't know. He just doesn't strike me as deserving. Not only that, but his move set doesn't impress me. It just seems some what bland. He honestly doesn't bring much to the table in regards to smash. I feel like he's just... There. Like, not even that many people wanted him (or at least that's how it seemed). Welp, can't wait for Sub-Zero to be confirmed.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I didn't really have a reaction when I saw the trailer. Like sabrewulf238 mentioned, he was just there.

I do plan to pick him up and try out his gameplay and that stage looked pretty epic.

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
in all honesty i have never played a Final Fantasy game, nor have i played much of any Kingdom Hearts game. but this announcement i am actually very happy with for a few reasons.

the first is that nobody was expecting it even when they were expecting an announcement like this. i mean lets be honest. everyone was on the edge of their seats waiting for THEIR character to be announced, but instead we got what some can only assume is a Pre-ballot character. (i'm thinking pre-ballot till the December Smash direct declares otherwise.) and i can't wait to try him out.

which brings me to my second reason, he fits the "iconic-ness" of the other 3rd parties by representing the RPG genre, a title arguably contested by Shulk. however, i feel Shulk represented Xenoblade itsself rather than the entire genre of RPG's. Cloud covers that base IMO.

and thirdly, he doesn't look like the standard "sword wielder" we are accustomed to, he has a Limit Meter? sounds like a mix between a Charge Shot and Shulk's Monado Arts. which in and of itself becomes something original. also, I could be very wrong on this, but i'm thinking he may not actually have a counter.

so all in all, i think i'm still excited for him post-reaction. he definitely wasn't on my radar for my wanted Smash Characters. but i feel he's still deserving of the spot on the roster.

AGreatProcrastinator

Smash Apprentice
I was sneaking peeks at my phone during work, so when I first heard about it I got pretty excited, even though a part of me was saying "great, another spikey haired anime swordguy." After watching the trailer I feel kinda "meh." Was hoping he'd be a kind of heavy magic knight or something, but so much of his moveset looks like it was lifted from Ike. Hope he's got a different feel about him while actually playing, but I'm patiently waiting for the final two characters to get me truly hyped.

I like the limit break mechanic though. That looks cool.

And thank Soccerguy he doesn't have a counter.

Edit: I should also mention that this was the first time I've legitimately been like "WHAT!?!?!" since the Snake reveal, and I found it really funny that Smash got Cloud and Playstation Allstars didn't. Haha.

Last edited:

PWN3

Smash Apprentice
I was confused, more than anything. Sakurai managed to get a laugh out of me with the Cloud-Ike FF7 final showdown reference, though, so that was great.

He looks pretty interesting. Definitely excited to get my hands on him and try him out on release.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Meh for 80% of the trailer, "Oh my god it's Final Frustration!" for 12%, then "Oh, it's just a dumb version of Battlefield..." for 8%.
For a JRPG main, Cloud's moves seem so reasonable and restrained and that's the smallest buster style sword I've ever seen. Doesn't help I'm not a turn based combat fan.

One great upside though: Kirby learns demon fang.

Last edited:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
At first I was honestly confused. I kept thinking how Cloud of all characters got into Smash and all that assorted lunacy.

I rewatched the trailer later on and the confusion was replaced with a good impression. I honestly don't care for Cloud (I would have messed myself if we got Garland instead) but I'm looking forward to playing as him. He looks fun to play as and that Shinra stage with the summons looks freaking kickass (Dat Bahamut with Mega Flare).

And who knows, I might end up being good with him.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
It was funny that this happened as I was just getting into Final Fantasy for the first time, but I didn't really care for Cloud at all. Never really got to Final Fantasy 7 yet, and my only experience thus far was this kid in middle school who constantly harassed me because I didn't play it. That, and it feels weird having a character who has incredibly little involvement with Nintendo. He feels just like how Snake did in Brawl.
But I am happy for everyone else who is excited for him to be in. I know a friend in particular that is probably incredibly excited, as Final Fantasy is his favorite franchise.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I was playing FF XIV at the time while me and a group were attempting the new Extreme fight. This announcement caught me off guard.

And then the more I look at other reactions we all come to the same conclusion of "WTF. How is this real? It can't be real. But it is!"

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
"Oh my god Final Fantasy!"
"It's Cloud from 7? Could be worse, pretty cool all in all."
"Oh my god the stages and music!! This is gonna be great!"

Pretty pleased and hyped overall. Good work Sakurai.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
My very, VERY first reaction to the trailer?

I pretended to slash the screen with a sword 'cause I was expecting the *SCHWING SCHWING* effect that accompanies every Smash trailer. And it didn't happen, so that threw me off a tad.

Then I heard the music and it faintly made me think of Final Fantasy, but I was like "...yeah, but this is a Smash Bros. trailer. Let's just see what happens."

...And then it WAS Final Fantasy, and I was like "OH SNAP! IT HAPPENED! CLOUD STRIFE IS IN!! :eek:"

Now am I the only one who thought Cloud's face looked a bit weird at that angle? A tad to vertically slender or something? Eh, probably looks better at different angles.

Cloud's like of "Never thought I'd see this day"... pretty much the sentiment of EVERYONE IN THE GAMING WORLD.

Moves were cool and stuff. Fun identifying the Limit Break moves.

The part where Cloud charges magic and a toad appears fooled me for a moment. Of course that was the Prince Sable assist. Wonder if that's a taunt though...

...Then Cloud shows off his LIMIT BREAKS!! :lol: ...Wait... Oh, it seems it's a powered up state! Still neat! And hey, there's Finishing Touch! (I gotta rewatch it again, but it does look like a Counter. Could be wrong though. Also where's Meteorain?)

Now the Midgar stage. THAT STAGE IS HYPE!! One of my most favorite parts of FFVII and a big source of inspiration is a part of the stage! Odin! Leviathan! Ramuh! Ifrit! Freakin' BAHAMUT ZERO! The stage hazards are GLORIOUS! I didn't see exactly what Ramuh did, but out of all of 'em, I think it's gonna be Leviathan that breaks the stage unfortunately. Looks like makes a rapids hazard that may act like Big Blue, and if that happens, then BANNED!!

But seriously, Bahamut ZERO's Tera Flare attack... No, read that again: Bahamut ZERO attacking players with freaking TERA FLARE.

Yeah. That's hype. That stage is just as hype as Cloud Strife himself being in Smash. Oh I would love if it somehow ended up being a counterpick stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom