• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud Nerf 1.1.5 (Please Say Your Feeling on the Nerf)

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
:4cloud2:Pretty Sad about Cloud's Nerf in 1.1.5, I thought that Cloud was a very Balanced Character. I mean he wasn't really hit super bad, but still all of his best kills moves were Nerfed. The move that was hit the most was Finishing Touch but he F-Smash, Down-Smash, Limit Break Finishing Touch were all Nerfed. :4cloud2:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The nerfs really aren't that bad, imo. 1.1.5 was essentially nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Sure, Finishing Touch was nerfed, but only the aerial version (by a lot too). Grounded Touch stays unchanged.

F-Smash, D-Smash and LB Cross Slash DID get a nerf in knockback, but the nerf itself is far from drastic and they will probably kill only a little later than before.

Besides, D-Smash is bad at mid-or-higher percents since people can tech the first hit and the other two, despite their nerfs, are still really good and reliable kill moves...and LB Cross Slash is still just as ridiculous as before.

Up air did get slight nerf too, but it's noting really noticeable until higher percents.

Only thing that's actually bothering me is the Limit Charge nerf, but I feel like I can adapt to it...

Last edited:

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
Its not that bad. A little more effort will just show where the real players are, from those who kinda had the crutch of killpower. A challenge after a nerf is a good way to stay fresh with dedication. I'm curious to see whether this will raise or decline the amount of cloud mains.

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
The nerfs really aren't that bad, imo. 1.1.5 was essentially nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

Sure, Finishing Touch was nerfed, but only the aerial version (by a lot too). Grounded Touch stays unchanged.

F-Smash, D-Smash and LB Cross Slash DID get a nerf in knockback, but the nerf itself is far from drastic and they will probably kill only a little later than before.

Besides, D-Smash is bad at mid-or-higher percents since people can tech the first hit and the other two, despite their nerfs, are still really good and reliable kill moves...and LB Cross Slash is still just as ridiculous as before.

Up air did get slight nerf too, but it's noting really noticeable until higher percents.

Only thing that's actually bothering me is the Limit Charge nerf, but I feel like I can adapt to it...
Really? thats wired because in 1.1.4 Finishing Touch Killed Luigi at 64% but now Kills at 66% on the ground

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
Its not that bad. A little more effort will just show where the real players are, from those who kinda had the crutch of killpower. A challenge after a nerf is a good way to stay fresh with dedication. I'm curious to see whether this will raise or decline the amount of cloud mains.
Thats true I'm staying Cloud I'm just disappointed that he was changed at all

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Really? thats wired because in 1.1.4 Finishing Touch Killed Luigi at 64% but now Kills at 66% on the ground
First off, really?!

Then, it's only like, 2%, so it doesn't seem like a huge nerf, imo.

And finally...
Thats true I'm staying Cloud I'm just disappointed that he was changed at all
...be careful with your double posting.

Last edited:

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
Yea thats true thats not a big change on the ground. Oh I didn't know that I double posted

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
That's not too bad of a difference in the grand scheme of how hard nerfs could have come in, speaking from my own opinon and experiences anyway. Not like the whole nerf wagon that diddy caught last year losing some of the more guaranteed stuff anyway. Now it'll just take a hit or two more for the ground, and a few good reads for the aerial finishing touch.

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
Yea I Guess it makes Cloud more of a Mind Play Character

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Yea I Guess it makes Cloud more of a Mind Play Character
I apologize in advance if I'm repeating what you might already know and what others might have said, but not necessarily, Cloud's comfort zone is in spacing and punishing while mind games take the back seat. FT should only be used when you can catch the opponent offguard. Beyond that, LB CS should be your main kill option with Limit.

Last edited:

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
I apologize in advance if I'm repeating what others might have said, but not necessarily, Cloud's comfort zone is in spacing and punishing while mind games take the back seat. FT should only be used when you can catch the opponent offguard. Beyond that, LB CS should be your main kill option with Limit.
Yea Thats what i usually use to kill but Finishing Touch is a good thing to have to like you said Catch them when Vulnerable and to switch things up sometimes

Yσנιмιтѕυ

Sm4sh Modder / Graphic Design
NNID
yojimitsu
Yea Thats what i usually use to kill but Finishing Touch is a good thing to have to like you said Catch them when Vulnerable and to switch things up sometimes
Yeah and also FT can be a good option to read rolls onto stage with as well. If you remember m2k reading rolls in game 3 of his set with dabuz at G3. It definitely has more uses than 1 - the windbox alone... i've gotten creative with trying to gimp recoveries, though it did get nerfed along with other aerial hitboxes.

This is a spacing character first and foremost. that's what makes him so strong, his range, power, and speed, not his specials.

others have said it and I'll say it, this is a slap on the wrist nerf. be salty or whatever, fine. while you're doing that i'm gonna shut up and practice.

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
Yeah and also FT can be a good option to read rolls onto stage with as well. If you remember m2k reading rolls in game 3 of his set with dabuz at G3. It definitely has more uses than 1 - the windbox alone... i've gotten creative with trying to gimp recoveries, though it did get nerfed along with other aerial hitboxes.

This is a spacing character first and foremost. that's what makes him so strong, his range, power, and speed, not his specials.

others have said it and I'll say it, this is a slap on the wrist nerf. be salty or whatever, fine. while you're doing that i'm gonna shut up and practice.
It also can cover almost every get up option

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
LB CS should be your main kill option with Limit.
[Bellyache="Chief Hotsuin, post: 21006102, member: 335848"]FT *was incredibly hype for some reason, though. l never got the chance to learn the timings for punishing an airdodge with it consecutively with it. RIP.[Bellyache]

Last edited:

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
Ah im not hyped lol I wanted Cloud to stay the same and he got nerfed 3 days before a tournament im going to lol

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
Sorry, l didn't mean to imply that l meant with the new nerf. l meant overall, when you land it. Shoulda saw one time at my 20-30 man local, l probably landed 7 and there was almost always a cheer.

Halcy0n

Smash Cadet
Its more like a slap to the face but that is me being a bit salty.

Edit: Also, didn't they reduce the knockback on Limit Cross Slash? Cause I haven't notice any difference.

Last edited:

Quantumpen

Smash Apprentice
I think long term, the most impactful nerf Cloud received will probably be the U-air nerf. It's his best move, and it means less shield stun/hit stun/damage. Small but makes a difference. I don't know if it can be punished now (probably not... still pretty sick frame data on the move), but if it can at certain ranges then that's a nerf.

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
I think long term, the most impactful nerf Cloud received will probably be the U-air nerf. It's his best move, and it means less shield stun/hit stun/damage. Small but makes a difference. I don't know if it can be punished now (probably not... still pretty sick frame data on the move), but if it can at certain ranges then that's a nerf.
l've heard it's unsafe. l think GHNeko said it in our Patch Changes thread for Cloud.

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
Sorry, l didn't mean to imply that l meant with the new nerf. l meant overall, when you land it. Shoulda saw one time at my 20-30 man local, l probably landed 7 and there was almost always a cheer.
Yea Ima Try to bait with an U-Air and if they air dodge to close to the ground I can catch them on lag

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Last edited:

NikkiNanka

Smash Rookie
In the grand scheme of things he was barely touched and his tougher matchups (the other top tiers) were hit more. He might actually be better now by comparison

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
To me, these nerfs are very minor. Yeah, we do less knockback and Limit charges longer, but we still retain everything else. We keep our disjoints, excellent stage control, frame data, godly projectile, speed, and all the other good stuff.

It honestly doesn't affect my play style at all.

Glitchz

Smash Rookie
Honestly, when I first heard about the nerfs, I was pretty disappointed but then, I found out that Cloud wasn't hit as bad as my other main, MK. I don't feel that affected by these nerfs since I usually use Finishing touch at a high percent and only as a punish. Overall, it was still ok.

Zetox

Smash Cadet
Nice to know and confirm that this nerf was hardly any bad. I thought so from just reading the notes but my inexperience and lack of good judgement as well as game knowledge is lacking, so I was not sure if it was true.

Last edited:

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
To me, these nerfs are very minor. Yeah, we do less knockback and Limit charges longer, but we still retain everything else. We keep our disjoints, excellent stage control, frame data, godly projectile, speed, and all the other good stuff.

I think that Cloud normal Beam Blade is one of the worst projectiles due to it being one of the longest to come out

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
In the grand scheme of things he was barely touched and his tougher matchups (the other top tiers) were hit more. He might actually be better now by comparison
That is true, he did get better compared to he tougher fighters

Last edited:

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
I think that Cloud normal Beam Blade is one of the worst projectiles due to it being one of the longest to come out
It's good because it absolutely can't be ducked under by characters like Kirby or WFT, so it removes that option of evasion. It doesn't have to be fast, it just needs to do its job of harassing people from afar and that's exactly what it does.

Yσנιмιтѕυ

Sm4sh Modder / Graphic Design
NNID
yojimitsu
Honestly, when I first heard about the nerfs, I was pretty disappointed but then, I found out that Cloud wasn't hit as bad as my other main, MK. I don't feel that affected by these nerfs since I usually use Finishing touch at a high percent and only as a punish. Overall, it was still ok.
MK was my other main too. I'm salty as F#@K about that nerf. Literally - phuck you sakurai. phuck you. I'm dropping MK for cloud only now.

Last edited:

SSJ X Cloud Strife

Smash Rookie

Looking at it from this perspective, it think I've personally overreacted to the nerfs. Yeah, his limit gimmick got gimped and smash nerfs. But his overall character and gameplan will relatively stay the same. No need to do any major adjustments other than to maybe work just a little bit hard.

Even if we was nerfed to Z tier, I wouldn't drop him from my mains team.:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom