• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cloud is the best co-main for mac

jet56

Smash Journeyman
Disclamer: this is based off of a character that hasn't been released yet, so please forgive me if this isn't accurate a month down the line.

Now then, the first important thing that must be pointed out here is what little mac struggles against. and im not talking bad matchups, character flaws of mac, or anything of that nature. The most difficult thing mac has a problem with is this:

MAKING PEOPLE APPROACH.

any smart player will never approach mac in neutral, especially when they have the lead. even more aggro characters, like:4falcon: for example, will play a more defensive style, and wait to punish mac for any unsafe moves. not to mention characters like :4samus:,:4ness:, and :4megaman: as well as others, who can play a spacing and defensive game beyond well. to top it off, you may have to deal with stages that are ideal for camping, like duck hunt, smashville, and battlefield/dreamland to an extent. and the opponent can ban the only stage they can't camp safely, FD. which makes it very easy to counterpick mac in character AND stage.

here's a fun story. i recently went to a tourney and lost to a campy spamus, who only used 4 or 5 of samus's entire moveset. we ended up on smashville stage one, where he proceeded to camp the platform and fire missiles, charge shots, and lay bombs from a safe distance. needless to say, i lost that first game, as i couldn't safely approach him on the platform. game 2 i got to play on town and city, where i waited until the platforms left, then proceeded to take his stocks when the stage was a FD. game 3 was dreamland, where both stock i died under 50% from the tree blowing me off stage after he knocked me off. im not telling this story to get pity, or to discourage little mac play, but to put into perspective the struggles that you will have playing the character. sol even had DJ Jack camp the top tree in duck hunt on him in bracket, so it happens to all of us (yes i know that sol got the better of him, this is just to show that it happens to all mac players.)

ENTER CLOUD! (this guy :4cloud:) note that what im going to say is not yet confirmed, although some of it is very likely, in regards to cloud and how his character functions. off we go.

Cloud will help solve little macs biggest problem in that people won't approach you. Why? because you have to approach cloud, even when they have the lead. Why?

BECAUSE LIMIT BREAKER THATS WHY

seriously, who in their right minds would let cloud charge that puppy for free? oh he you can just throw out projectiles at him? well check this: so can cloud, and his is probably bigger and better than yours. while clouds cross beam may not beat out all projectiles, its obviously one of the better projectiles in the game. and clouds neutral is as good a swordsman as any, so he can handle a megaman or link who approaches him. what's better (ik im abusing bold lettering) HIS SPECIAL MOVES CHARGE CLOUDS LIMIT BREAKER! (again not confirmed, but check the cloud thread, they made a cool discovery on this.) this means he can throw out his projectile and charge his LB at the same time.

However, cloud will suffer from aggro characters with solid neutrals and approaching tools, which means he loses out to characters with good neutral games (:4sonic::4falcon: :4pikachu:.) you know who can win in neutral and against aggro characters?
:4littlemac::4littlemac::4littlemac:
FIGHT SOL FIGHT! FIGHT SOL FIGHT!

*ahem* sorry hype got to me there.

the point is, :4littlemac: and :4cloud: cover each others backs and match ups pretty well. and it forces the opponent to reconsider which stage they ban, as banning FD gives cloud platforms to work with, and FD would be a good counterpick if you wanted to rush down cloud and stop him from charging LB. cloud plays well against defensive and spacing characters, and little mac plays well against aggro and faster characters. let me know if im in the right ballpark on this please, and thanks for reading!

Rekzius

Smash Apprentice
I hate to be that guy how says it is to early to say anything about Cloud, but it is to early to say anything. Tho i do believe from what we have seen, that he will be a pretty good character. But we just know to little about him. But it is never to early to speculate. I do believe that a lot of what you have said will be relevant.

Rekzius

Smash Apprentice
I feel it is worth to revisit this topic, now that the character is out.

And I agree with you, Cloud is a great secondary for mac. Now keep in mind that he was just released, and his meta is going to change a lot in the next months, but as he stands now he is great. It defenetly screws with peoples heads to go form a character with no air game at all, to one with 60% aerial combos.

As for the limit break this just makes it even better. Like you said, forcing people to approatch is a huge change from what people are used to after fighting mac.

These are just my first inpressions tho. I`ll have to play him a lot more before i can say anything for sure.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
glad i can talk about this topic now without speculation, but from what has happened in tourney for me so far, it has worked out really well.

the only time it really doesn't matter what character i play is when they play SUPER CAMPY CHARACTERS (looking at you, :4robinm:,:4pacman:,:4villager: and others.)

i actually went to a tourney the other day, someone was playing a ledge camp robin, so i switch from mac to :4cloud:. game 2, i find a platform and start charging LB. he LETS me. and my LB projectile didn't budge him at all, because he would throw out arcfire, shield the LB projectile, then wait for me. in extreme cases like this, cloud can't force them to approach, but only a handful of characters can actually wall :4cloud: out, or won't care if you get LB. but overall, :4littlemac: and :4cloud: cover each other pretty well. ill get more in depth on it later for sure.

Top Bottom