• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Closing in the distance

Necroramo

Smash Rookie
Guys,

I'm about to enter a very casual local tournament composed of me and a group of friends, nothing fancy or elite or anything. Since I'm one of the top gamers there, I decided to go in as Pichu for the heck of it. The tournament's in about 3 weeks, and I've began training as Pichu, so far against level 9's until I can get a friend to come over.

One of the biggest problems I'm having with this character is his lack of range. I usually go as Mario, and I could swat away almost anyone with my legs. However, because Pichu is miniscule, I have a hard time even getting close enough to hit most of my adversaries, especially the Fire Emblem characters.

Any ideas about how to get within striking range with Pichu, anyone?

I tried watching the Chudat videos where he uses Pichu, but everything moves so fast that I have no idea what he's doing.

Galeon

Smash Ace
From the talk of lvl 9's and the way you made your post, I suggest you...

Camp. I don't mean sit in the middle of the stage spamming B. I mean just finding a corner and get ready to counter anything they do. Camp so hard that they smell the f*cking s'mores. Shieldgrab, downsmashing anyone that tries to dash attack you. Bthrow to F-smash at the edge.

Your character's small and light. At the level I assume you are, you shouldn't be trying to beast someone down. Play gay. Not just plain gay. Play 'Pichu-gay'. (see Pichu-gay)

Pichu-gay- (noun)(adjective)(verb) Repeated taunting and fleeing until there is a favorable chance to attack, chaingrabbing if possible and counterpicking Corneria to thundercamp the noobiest of your friends.
Ex: "Wow, what a Pichu-gay; I wouldn't even challenge him to a rematch after that. I'd probably quit this game"
"I've never seen such a Pichu-gay edgeguard on Ganon. He ate like 10 F-smashes at the edge before giving up."
"He just Pichu-gayed you into the stage with that down smash; top-tier if you ask me."

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Haha, very nice post Galeon. Mind if I sig some of it? :p

But it's true. Camp the **** out of your opponent if you want to win. Don't think it's lame to do so, get that mindset out of your head. You play Pichu for ****'s sake, you can do whatever you want without being lame.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I responded with a nice post, but got an error and it didn't post, so you get the loser's version now.

First, read my guide, it talks about all the "mind games" you need to be able to do to overcome many of your problems. However, it takes a while to get those techniques down, so here is some helpful advice for closing the distance (or, as Bruce Lee calls it, "Bridging the gap").

1) Dash at your opponent, roll behind him. Pichu has a fast roll that gets behind your opponent well. This can score a F-Smash on Marth who tries to swat at you.

2) Dash at your opponent, then slide backwards.

3) Jump at your opponent, second jump out of their reach.

4) Pwn them with the taunt. (I shall not liable for Pichu injuries on this one)

Galeon

Smash Ace
Haha, very nice post Galeon. Mind if I sig some of it? :p

But it's true. Camp the **** out of your opponent if you want to win. Don't think it's lame to do so, get that mindset out of your head. You play Pichu for ****'s sake, you can do whatever you want without being lame.
Go for it. I couldn't deny your Pichu ^^

Top Bottom