• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Clones like fox and falco, must disappear, in a project like this..

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
1) Falco doesn't need buffs.

2) kicking the reflector is worse than the default as pillaring assumes that the enemy is sent right above you. Kicking it forward also prevents the player from wavedashing backwards into someone and then shining them up.

@op

It is not a contradiction that Falco resembles Fox while Roy gets a revised moveset. Roy is Garbage in melee, Falco is not. Falco's brawl reflector NEVER found a balanced useful purpose in brawl+ which provided multiple public versions up to 7.0. Please people, stop questioning the design of a mod that is nearly three years old, and has had thought being put character design for even longer. If you are just a newly registered user, making a thread about clones, or l-cancelling or general critiques is not going to change anything.
Eh, I'm still for a modified taunt. He does his "PIZZA CAKE!" taunt but instead of grabbing the reflector after kicking it, he goes into the brawl B down animation. Super Style points for a taunt with a reflect.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Eh, I'm still for a modified taunt. He does his "PIZZA CAKE!" taunt but instead of grabbing the reflector after kicking it, he goes into the brawl B down animation. Super Style points for a taunt with a reflect.
that would actually be pretty neat
he hacky-sacks it around then flings it out
even better: it has a hitbox with a fox-like shine angle, even though it won't be that useful because it takes years to come out, but sometimes, putting things in the game whose only value is swag points helps give the game personality.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
that would actually be pretty neat
he hacky-sacks it around then flings it out
even better: it has a hitbox with a fox-like shine angle, even though it won't be that useful because it takes years to come out, but sometimes, putting things in the game whose only value is swag points helps give the game personality.
Exactly. He's kicking his reflector around anyways, why not? xD I don't think it would be too hard.
this is strictly for swag points. xD if you can predict a reflect that's essentially timed like a falcon pawnch, you've earned that taunt.
If it actually hit the person, they should trip (like in brawl)

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
I do like the idea of the taunt and styling and all that, but if I'd ask for something without giving regards to balance, I'd like to see if Falco's shine could be altered so that when holding it, tapping (like an actual smash input, not just a tilt) to the left or right could make him kick the reflector in that direction.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
His Brawl Jab was a nice thing to keep, it's likely better than the Melee Jab too.
As long as they don't revert things like the laser-color. The Blue of Brawl was something like in the top 10% of tones that color-blind people can't see properly. So many people complained over the years about that game for every reason. lol

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Project M is basically a huge fan service for melee players. Even though the clones using the same exact animation are stupid, and project M can easily invent a new move set for the two, they have the fact that every melee player and most brawl player "prefer" it as an excuse.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
It really bothers me that they reverted some moves that had been changed in Brawl for basically no reason. Things like Falco jab, Fair, FSmash, and most importantly, Ganon USmash. I don't think any of these moves were objectively worse than their Melee counterparts (unlike Falco DownB, which was clearly a huge nerf), but they gave these characters a nice increase in personality.

JustTheTip

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
whoa I didnt knew about that (melee falco being the initial step for project M).- ok that is strong point to keep falco moveset looking like fox moveset, ok they play different, but for the eye, they look the same,. but if falco was the beggining of project M, then he wont be changed, ever
-_-, but roy is another story, his moveset was actually changed, it can be seen on his trailer, maybe Roy character was asking for a moveset modiffication, since Gamecube Melee game..
what

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Kay, I'm just going to say it.

Falco's Brawl fair looks extremely ugly. This may be cartoon violence and all but still: "I'm going to stick my head out and spin as a legitimate offensive maneuver! Wheeeeeeeeeeeee"

Ew no get that away from me.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Falco's Brawl fair looks extremely ugly. This may be cartoon violence and all but still: "I'm going to stick my head out and spin as a legitimate offensive maneuver! Wheeeeeeeeeeeee"
I'd rather have that then "I'm going to kick impractically many times and fall the entire length of the stage while doing it".

Besides, it's okay when Pikachu does it. Maybe Falco just wants to be Pikachu.

Last edited:

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
The first thing that came to my mind when I saw this was, "People like ShadowXtreme and others like them, must disappear, in a project like this. "

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
--- Why Fox an Falco have the same moves in project M?

this is certainly a contradiction.. because if PM intended to preserve melee´s clones,
why they made roy different, roy and marth were clones!, I am not saying that a different roy is a bad thing, because it is not.. it is great, but I really think they should modify falco (like brawl, I would suggest, too keep brawl/melee developers track) or fox, maybe I will be hated for my opinion lol, but I really think that clones (not the clone engine ones lol), must disappear, even from this project -_-
Fox and Falco remain largely unchanged because they were top tier in Melee. Roy was changed because he was bad in Melee. Basically all the top tier characters from Melee have received very little in terms of changes, because they are a baseline to use to balance the rest of the cast around, and lower tier characters have been altered to make them better.

The end.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
It really bothers me that they reverted some moves that had been changed in Brawl for basically no reason. Things like Falco jab, Fair, FSmash, and most importantly, Ganon USmash. I don't think any of these moves were objectively worse than their Melee counterparts (unlike Falco DownB, which was clearly a huge nerf), but they gave these characters a nice increase in personality.
Falco still has the Brawl jab tho

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
I dont get it.. If op thinks that falco and fox look the same, howdoes he not think roy and marth look the same?

As stated, the clones LOOK similar, but play MUCH different. Its why say me, who plays roy, cant play marth for **** because they play COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Example, marth is about spacing- hit with the tip of your sword for max damage( hehehe..)

Roy, does more damage at the (i believe) base of his sword, or mahbe the middle- one of those two. I tiny change that impacts gameplay drastically.

Also, the reasons clones are popular for developers is because doing brand new animations is a LONNGGG process. I promise you 3.0 would not have come out the time it did had they not made him a clone.

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
the real problem here is that characters aren't similar enough. ganon should have a wall jump and his fair needs to be a knee. pikachu should hurt itself with his electric attacks. mario's upB needs a sweetspot at the beginning and he needs a super long wavedash. fox needs falco's dair and falco needs fox's laser firing speed. link needs a worse recovery and a taunt that heals himself. charizard needs solarbeam and squirtle needs ivysaur's bair. roy needs his sweetspot moved to the tip of his sword and marth needs a worse recovery because his is so OP.

11/10 would play.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
in regards to ganon's usmash, i remember magus posting at one point that the melee usmash actually hits 1 frame earlier than brawl's. i think they have similar iasa frames at the end, though? don't know the frame length of each move off the top of my head...

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
in regards to ganon's usmash, i remember magus posting at one point that the melee usmash actually hits 1 frame earlier than brawl's. i think they have similar iasa frames at the end, though? don't know the frame length of each move off the top of my head...
It might be the tinest bit faster, but I think the Brawl one both hits harder and has a bit more range. I feel like there's some stages where I could UpSmash through the platform in Brawl but in PM the Upsmash just barely whiffs.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
Although I personally don't like clones and would prefer to see as few of them as possible, I strongly disagree.

With characters like Roy and Ganon, the characters that they were cloned after (Marth and C. Falcon respectfully) had little to no relation to each other. C. Falcon and Ganon are from different series and the Fire Emblem games that Marth and Roy appeared in were seperate entires that had nothing to do with each other. Fox/Falco are very closely related so it makes much more sense.

And as others have said, clones are similar to the "original" character, but they play very differently.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
It might be the tinest bit faster, but I think the Brawl one both hits harder and has a bit more range. I feel like there's some stages where I could UpSmash through the platform in Brawl but in PM the Upsmash just barely whiffs.
i actually like the brawl usmash more, aesthetically, if nothing else ;x i'm not familiar with its hitboxes to know enough about what you're saying with platforms. i was mostly just putting out the reasoning i'd heard from pmbr for that reversion in particular.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
The whole Clone thing is basically dead to me now. After many matches, you learn that Fox and Falco play very differenly, and the same could be said for Ganon/Capt Falcon and Marth and Roy. Im a dead man if I use Marth, but I could hold my ground with Roy for a few minutes before I get the living garbage get beat outta me.

Last edited:

YourMainManMewtwo

Smash Rookie
I don't see any Clones at the moment. Falco and Fox differ enough so that they require different play styles. I will say, however, I wish they didn't have replicated Final Smashes. That disappointing me, but of course that was Nintendo's doing.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
Anyways, back on topic, I like Fox better than Falco, because I have always like speedy fighters in general
Back OFF topic, your avatar makes me feel really weird inside... :|

Now Smash 4 is going to be smacking me in the face with WFT's awkward sexual tension.

Damnit, Sakurai and SuperMii

Top Bottom