• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Climbing Up Smash Mountain - Snow Melting Prematurely

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Link to original post: [drupal=1158]Climbing Up Smash Mountain - Snow Melting Prematurely[/drupal]

Ever since returning from winter break, playing Smash has turned into a bit of a roller coaster ride. Naturally, college has higher priority for me, as not even Smash will screw my chances of becoming a seismologist. However, other circumstances have...complicated things. In what free time I have left, past classes and such, I only get to play against other humans once a week (if I'm lucky). Whenever I play Smash otherwise, it's usually a quick few rounds versus a weak CPU to keep my Falco at a decent level, or practicing continuous desynching with the Ice Climbers in Training Mode. What concerns me is that while I want to get better at this game, I feel being limited to such a schedule won't help at all - I seem to lose a bunch of the skills I obtain between each smashfest I attend, only relearning them when I play against humans. Unfortunately, my problems run much deeper than that - to tell the truth, what's going on in Minnesota is affecting everyone here who plays Smash.

James Sparrow, one of Minnesota's best players, recently announced that due to real life issues, he will no longer be hosting the University of St. Thomas (UST) Biweeklies, the state's signature Smash tournament. As far as I can tell, no one is taking over for him, so the famous UST Biweeklies are well and truly gone. In fact, February has seen pretty much every Smash event in the state disappear entirely. I mentioned the UST Biweeklies, but Joemotion also stopped holding his Friday Night Smashdowns, which features both Melee and Brawl, for an undisclosed period of time. The only sort of regular Smash meetings the state has left are those held by RoxasLawliet, but as of last week he has banned Brawl from his house, having concluded he hated the game (I swear, this Melee vs. Brawl argument is becoming destructive in more ways than one, but I digress).

All that's happening here just came about so suddenly, I almost fear for the immediate life of competitive Smash in Minnesota. For some reason I can compare this to the weather in Minneapolis - a "hot spell" of sorts two weeks ago had caused most of the area's snow to melt (imagine my distress at the sight of grass, being a big fan of ice). Of course, the tournament scene will not vanish completely - as long as people are willing to play others and strive to get better, something will click and a new series of events will emerge (I have neither the time nor the resources to set up one myself, as much as I'd like to). I can only hope this "drought" won't last long. Perhaps the fact that it snowed again here recently means something good will happen. Until next time, see you later.

finalark

SNORLAX
That was quite a post, indeed it must be hard to become a better Competitive Smasher with such little time on your hands. I'm sorry to hear about that biweekly tournament. And I also agree with you on what you said about the Melee VS. Brawl argument.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I cannot say I have any advice to offer--but I'm in a similar boat. Except mine isn't a time devotion, but rather that of money.

I'd recommend you to think about whether or not you think it's worth it. Smash can always be a hobby. Don't feel like you need to go pro or anything.

That's terrible advice, by the way. I wish everyone would try to become the best they could in Smash, but not everyone can. It's a sad state of affairs...

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
True, Smash will never be the most important thing in my life - nothing will overtake my passion for earthquakes. However, I still like Smash enough that I want to become competitive at it. I'm not specifically aiming to be the best, but I want to get as good as possible.

This current lack of tournaments/smashfests seems more based on luck (read: other people's choices outside my control) than anything else. I've never been fond of luck in competition-related things, as I usually end up on the short side of it, and a part of me refuses to quit Smash just because it's become a bit harder to play against other humans. There are still a few people in my dorm who would play me if I can catch them at the right time, and I'm confident Minnesota's lack of a competitive scene won't last beyond this semester. Smash is just way too much fun to give up - I'll manage this somehow.

Top Bottom