• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Classic Mode or Smash Run?

Classic Mode or Smash Run?

• Total voters

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
I personally like Smash Run much better than classic mode. Smash Run is just so much fun and I dislike classic mode because I hate master hand lol. What about you?

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
playing against coms with silly rules

or

smash bros mixed with kirby freaking air ride

is this even a question? :p

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Not sure if I should add the unpopular opinion puffin here.

I don't care for Smash Run at all. Played it once and didn't find myself enjoying the experience. I suppose part of it may step from the fact I have no friends to play it with locally, so I'd obviously opt to do Classic which is a more controllable and purposeful gametype that has at least some utility for someone who uses single player just to unlock things.

Squadaloo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RodRodney
I went with Classic. As much as I wanted to love Smash Run (I do, after all love love LOVE City Trial in Kirby Air Ride), I just think it's pretty underwhelming in practice. Some enemies are so easy they may as well not exist while others are insanely hard. Many enemies have too much health, the game sometimes spawns far too enemies at once, and it's irritating when it feels like half of the enemies are just Kid Icarus Uprising enemies. I hate not being able to know the difficulty of a challenge door before hand (not knowing the challenge itself is fine, but I don't like having to sit and load only to find out it's a survival challenge and I'm at 200% already).

I also don't like how unbalanced the mode is. It feels like it's practically made for certain characters while others can't seem to pose a threat. Not to mention how certain challenges are perfectly made for certain characters: I won a race to the finish as Sonic with 100 speed over Ike with a whopping 850 speed in an absolute landslide: we didn't need to run through a maze for 5 minutes to find out Sonic is faster than Ike. I almost feel like everybody should have had their skills changed to be better balanced beforehand to make it a bit more fair. Part of the fun of City Trial was everybody starting on near equal footing and ending up wildly different by the end.

I don't *hate* the mode, by any means: it's still pretty fun. I just thought it would be the best thing ever and it feels very disappointing. Classic mode, however, is fun to me if only because the final boss fight is amazing.

Spirst

Not sure if I should add the unpopular opinion puffin here.

I don't care for Smash Run at all. Played it once and didn't find myself enjoying the experience. I suppose part of it may step from the fact I have no friends to play it with locally, so I'd obviously opt to do Classic which is a more controllable and purposeful gametype that has at least some utility for someone who uses single player just to unlock things.
If we're going for utility, then yes, I'd go with Classic no doubt. I've played Smash Run locally but never did much alone so I'm going based on those experiences. I can see how it wouldn't be very entertaining without any friend playing with you. Classic mode, however, is montonous to me after all these years so the fresh experience from a new mode is more appealing at the moment.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
If we're going for utility, then yes, I'd go with Classic no doubt. I've played Smash Run locally but never did much alone so I'm going based on those experiences. I can see how it wouldn't be very entertaining without any friend playing with you. Classic mode, however, is montonous to me after all these years so the fresh experience from a new mode is more appealing at the moment.
Totally understand. If I had people to play Smash Run with, I'm sure I'd enjoy it far more. Then again, I was never a single player/alternative mode guy, even in Melee. I played Subspace through once and never touched it again. I aimed to unlock characters and from then on it was just smashin' CPUs in practice and then playing online or against other people I come across on campus to test my skills.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I can tell you why I like classic better in 2 words. Master Core
Even though I will never get over the fact that they could of renamed classic mode due to difficulty settings, lose .5 difficulty in continues, no mini games, 2 stock each match, change paths, ect... I find it more fun.
Smash Run is fun but let's be honest, they could of done so much more with it like choosing the final match and time limit. I like the mode but it is so unfair to collect stats like 1000 speed for example and you play some stupid Saturn match where you could of been playing Run. I do like some final matches but some are stupid. Collected a lot of stats specifically on special? It would be a shame if the final match included... Franklin Badge (The bane to specials that are projectiles). Honestly I hate the fact that some stats can be useless depending on the situation of the final match. The ones I do like is Run and Climb. Run reminds me of race to the finish in a way and climb was something new that I liked better than a 1 minute smash.

Classic has been improved in so many ways, but Smash Run is still my preferred game mode. If you could play it online and change the CPU level when offline, it would be perfect. Who knows, maybe they could patch in the latter someday.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I enjoy Smash Run more.

Mostly because the handicaps on the AI in Classic are downright unfair on higher intensities. It doesn't feel like legitimate difficulty when even heavies like Bowser can be KO'd at less then 50% by uncharged smash attacks.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Smash Run has so much potential with a patch for online-play/length of final battle. It's fun, I just don't see a reason to play it other than rewards now.

Playing against CPU's with items full blast in Classic is garbage. I'm not sorry.

tm730

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4227-1256-0282
I can tell you why I like classic better in 2 words. Master Core
Even though I will never get over the fact that they could of renamed classic mode due to difficulty settings, lose .5 difficulty in continues, no mini games, 2 stock each match, change paths, ect... I find it more fun.
Smash Run is fun but let's be honest, they could of done so much more with it like choosing the final match and time limit. I like the mode but it is so unfair to collect stats like 1000 speed for example and you play some stupid Saturn match where you could of been playing Run. I do like some final matches but some are stupid. Collected a lot of stats specifically on special? It would be a shame if the final match included... Franklin Badge (The bane to specials that are projectiles). Honestly I hate the fact that some stats can be useless depending on the situation of the final match. The ones I do like is Run and Climb. Run reminds me of race to the finish in a way and climb was something new that I liked better than a 1 minute smash.
only way it would be fair if it was random

if not you'd choose the one you'd obviously excel at due to the stats

or if anything they'd make you choose before you go through the 5 minute process, and there's still the chance you wont get enough stats.

Top Bottom