• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Citrus Heights (Sac, CA) Gamestop Brawl March 9th

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
Many GameStops will be having Brawl release party tournaments at Midnight on March 9th (that means stay up late on Saturday for those of you terrible at date/time like me). The GameStop on Garfield Ave will -NOT- be open a midnight, but will instead have a Sunday afternoon tournament that is separate from the GameStop regionals for Brawl's release. (See a below)

MIDNIGHT TOURNAMENT INFO

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/ssbb/tournament/default.asp

This is the only information available right now.

No official rules have been released to the stores yet for the MIDNIGHT/REGIONAL tournament (to my knowledge), but these things are very likely:

You will have to use the Wii Remote, most likely with a nunchuck
They will be single elimination matches (due to time)
No unlockable content will be available (no luigi, marth, etc)
Items may be on (Nintendo really likes items for their sponsored tournaments).
Winners will get a gold (plastic) Mario trophy

An LCD TV and a wii system are the grand prize for the regionals.

Greenback Corners special Sunday Brawl tournament

GameStop #5833
Greenback Corners
6306 Garfield Ave
Sacramento CA, 95841 US
(916)334-6191

Final Sign up Time: 1:45

Matches Begin: 2:00

Entry Fee: None!

Prizes:

1st place gets a 25$ gift card
2nd-4th is still pending manager decision (likely a Destroy All Humans Big Willy bobble head will be one of the prizes)

Rules (keep in mind, I have to play this by ear based on time/attendance):

• Swearing and bad sportsmanship will result in instant removal from the tournament. There will likely be small children and other shoppers in the store through the day, so please be polite!
  • All controller 4 schemes will be available! YOU -CAN- BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER!
  • Items will be off.
  • Single Elimination (double if things go quickly enough)
  • Best of 3 (best of 1 if there are too many people)
  • 3 stock / 5 minute timer (This will likely remain constant)
  • The 'neutral stage' idea used in melee tournaments will be applied, meaning stages with limited (if any) random hazzards, no stages where you can walk off screen to your doom ala flatworld/mushroom kingdom.
  • No unlockable content will be available. :( I might be able to make an exception if someone can provide a memory card, but other wise I have no access to a save file with the extra stages/characters unlocked.
  • RULES MAY CHANGE BASED ON MANAGER DECISION. As of this post, this tournament is my call because this store is -NOT- part of the ongoing tournaments that happen at midnight. If this changes, I will have to use the GameStop regional tourny rules. (unlikely) :mad:

If all goes well, I should be able to do a monthly tournament at this store. Prizes will likely be smaller for future events, but at least I'll be able to do prizes for a tournies with NO entry fee! :D

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
We have to use the Wii remote? -_-; what kinda rule is that...
That's what I've been hearing for the midnight tournaments.

I'll probably bring in my 2 classic controllers for the afternoon one at my store. Better then nothing.

Unfortunately we're suppose to keep the Wii in it's display case. If my bossman will let me take the plexy off for the tourny, then I can allow the cube controllers. It really comes down to physically being able to access the Wii to plug them in or not. :(

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
Updated a few points after I talked to my manager today:

You CAN bring your own controller. One of our two stations will support cube plug ins and wiimote syncing.

Matches officially begin at 2:00

First place prize is confirmed as a 25$ GameStop Gift Card (though this -might- still change if my manager changes his mind on prizes, but this isn't likely).

Remember, this Sunday afternoon Tournament is NOT part of the official GameStop/Nintendo tournament. The winner will NOT be going on to the reginal finals or anything fancy like that. :(

Top Bottom