• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Circles or Hexagons?

Which will you choose?

• Total voters

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
I uh...

I actually hate Ness. I think he's the weakest (character wise) of the Mother protagonists. If he were ever removed and replaced with Ninten (or Lucas) I would shed not a single tear.
Lol so if ninten came into the game he'd automatically be better than Ness? Great logic.

I secondaried him in Brawl because I liked how he played better than Marth, but in 4 I kicked Ness out of my top four.
The joke is that Ness actually became viable in smash 4. I don't even understand at this point how you decide your mains from game to game.

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
Lol so if ninten came into the game he'd automatically be better than Ness? Great logic.

The joke is that Ness actually became viable in smash 4. I don't even understand at this point how you decide your mains from game to game.
Perhaps they just don't find Ness as fun to play in Smash 4/have other characters they prefer? Viable or not, if someone doesn't want to play them any more then that's their decision and there's nothing wrong with it. My housemate played Ness in Melee and plays Ness a little in Smash 4 but not really that much, even though he's obviously more viable in 4 than Melee.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
He was probably referring to in universe, but I get your point. In universe strength rarely translates well into Smash. He probably just liked how Ness played, as opposed to his design overall.

Perhaps they just don't find Ness as fun to play in Smash 4/have other characters they prefer? Viable or not, if someone doesn't want to play them any more then that's their decision and there's nothing wrong with it. My housemate played Ness in Melee and plays Ness a little in Smash 4 but not really that much, even though he's obviously more viable in 4 than Melee.
This, all the way. There's a few characters I loved in Brawl, but I dropped them for Smash4 because of just nerfs and other assorted junk. Namely Falco and Olimar. I love them both as characters, but I find them so painful to play as in Smash4 due to the changes they recieved. Olimar's case was especially bad for me, since I used to-... Anyway, point is, whatever the case, characters have changed. Ness is fairly notable for it infact, recieving several buffs and hit data changes that might make him, in some people's case, not fun to play.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman

Sorry, reading comprehension: "Ness is the weakest Mother protagonist (character)". That is to say, his character, to me, is the most poorly developed of the protagonists in the series. Stats wise? I'm pretty sure he's actually the strongest. I guess theoretically, since Lucas doesn't suffer asthma or have much of a home to be homesick for, he's the strongest, based only on potential successful damage output. I digress.

"Better", "good" and "viable" are states of mind. If Ninten were to suddenly replace Ness, I would have to agree that statistically, he's better than a character who isn't in; I think you would too. Even so, if he were added, I would love him and be more inclined to play him over Ness. Given the option of a free set win with Ness, or guaranteed set loss with Ninten, I'd pick Ninten - I just like him more. I love the Mother series, my maining Ness in 64 and secondary in Brawl are just reflections of that.

Likewise, given the option to have whatever makes Ness viable, and playing Lucas, I choose Lucas, because I like him more. How I decide my mains doesn't even seem to be hard to understand, unless you're being willfully ignorant of it: I pick from who I like. It becomes a harder choice as the roster grows, but in the end, when you compare love for a character to understanding of a playstyle, it narrows it down.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I've grown quite fond of Ness in Sm4sh, but he will definitely be relegated to second-tier on my roster once my boy Lucas comes back. :3

Crashfan1ooo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crashfan1ooo
3DS FC
1650-3196-2381
Circles ftw! I have always loved EarthBound the most out of the trilogy and I've mained Ness since 64 so I'll stick with him as my main. But I'll most definitely have Lucas as a secondary , I thought he played well in Brawl so I'm excited to see him back.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I'm gonna ditch Ness. There's just some things about his moves I don't like that much (tilts and fsmash for example), plus Lucas is my favorite vidya character from my favorite game from my favorite series, hot dang!

winner133

Smash Cadet
NNID
winner133
3DS FC
1161-0198-4190
I'm gonna ditch Ness. There's just some things about his moves I don't like that much (tilts and fsmash for example), plus Lucas is my favorite vidya character from my favorite game from my favorite series, hot dang!
But isn't Ness fsmash like Lucas?

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
But isn't Ness fsmash like Lucas?
Lucas' is quicker if I recall correctly.
Ness' is deceivingly slow. It looks quick, but you're only really gonna hit it if you get lucky or get a good read.
Besides, both fsmashes reflect projectiles, so one that comes out quicker seems more useful in that regard.

Last edited:

winner133

Smash Cadet
NNID
winner133
3DS FC
1161-0198-4190
Lucas' is quicker if I recall correctly.
Ness' is deveivingly slow. It looks quick, but you're only really gonna hit it if you get lucky or get a good read.
Besides, both fsmashes reflect projectiles, so one that comes out quicker seems more useful in that regard.
Ah! I just thought they were both the same. There still only good at reflecting one single projectile thought.
However I think Ness's reflector deals more damage to reflected projectiles and Lucas's is quicker.

Also with just about any smash attack you have to get "lucky" or a good read :p No one would just run up to you for a free smash attack.

off topic: It seems like you played Mother 3, How is it?

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
off topic: It seems like you played Mother 3, How is it?
Well, it's my all-time favorite video game, so I'm helplessly biased.

From a gameplay standpoint, it fixes everything I disliked about EarthBounds gameplay.
The story is also pretty fantastic, but I feel it's often appreciated for the wrong reasons.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Yeah guys I've actually decided to drop Ness to a for fun character. He got really boring for me and never advanced past mediocre fundamentals.

So I'm officially joining the Hexagon club! LUCAS BOYZ

Hylian42

Smash Rookie
Hexagons are cooler, circles are boring. They're so round.

My friend will main the hexagons out of both Ness and Lucas.

Huarbolo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
huarbolo
3DS FC
1435-5887-5069
But in all serious-ness (see what i did there:) ) My boy Lucas!

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
While I played Ness now and then, Lucas has more "cooler" things going on. Might be because more cooler-looking and powerful PSI, fast-paced combo potential and air speed, decent ways to kill and a tether. So hexagons for now.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
While I played Ness now and then, Lucas has more "cooler" things going on. Might be because more cooler-looking and powerful PSI, fast-paced combo potential and air speed, decent ways to kill and a tether. So hexagons for now.
What's cooler than being cool?
PK FREEZE!!

StinkyHands

Smash Rookie
I mained Lucas in brawl and like alot of people, I was devastated that he wasn't returning in smash4. To cope with this, I decided to main Ness and fell in love with him. I am extremely excited to have Lucas return to the roster but I am saddened that he will most likely not be as good as Ness is in this game, basically because Ness is so good. I wish Lucas would be better, but I doubt that will be the case. Either way I am very excited and will play him quite a bit, but I have fallen in love with Ness now.

PK Get Rekt

Smash Rookie
NNID
blabbity33
3DS FC
1908-3610-0623
I never really played brawl all that much (mostly because the disk broke) so I didn't really get to play him or Lucas and I can't play Lucas in SS4 because of DLC and I don't have any money, but I did get to play Ness, and I really like his air combo maneuverability, so I'll stick with him.
GO CIRCLES!!!

Last edited:

PK_Lunar_π_03

Smash Cadet
I choice circles because Ness is My Boi, I do play Lucas too but if I never got curious about who's Ness in Smash 64 I won't be here :3

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Hexagons!!
Ness is suuuuuper boring to me, and it's almost impossible for me to have fun with him. Lucas, however, is the character I have the absolute most fun with, while also winning me lots and lots of matches.

And circles look so boring... hexagons look and feel energetic, if that makes any sense, and I am energetic myself.
I guess me and Lucas just clicked the moment I tried him out.

:4lucas:PK THUNDER:4lucas:

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
:4lucas:HEXAGONS. I used to play a little bit of Ness but I like playing Lucas more. Though I have never played Earthbound or Mother 3 so I don't know their personalities...:4lucas:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I like Ness a lot more and I also think Earthbound > Mother 3, but Lucas is a lot more fun to play... So in Smash, I choose Hexagons.

PK Get Rekt

Smash Rookie
NNID
blabbity33
3DS FC
1908-3610-0623
I got up some money, and I've grown and moved on to hexagons. Lucas is just great. He has got a tether, a fast air game, some great mix-ups and awesome maneuverability and power!

This land is our home. Ice is our ELEMENT!

EmpireCrusher203

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-7161-9170
Hexagons, all the way.

I originally started with Ness back in Smash 64, being the only Mother character there, and started out with Ness as my main again in Smash 4. It's been a month since I got Smash 4 (I got tired of Smash 64 and the hype got to me),. When I first got the game I was confined to playing a Ness, but just simply knowing Lucas was out there waiting to bought, urge me to buy the DLC. Well, I did, a few days later, since then I have been training on Lucas nonstop. I still classified as a newb XD, but it's my undying love of Mother 3 that keeps pushing me on, even with my terrible For Glory records.

Top Bottom