• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Choosing who to play for Pokken.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
A thread dedicated entirely to helping you and everyone else find out who they should play for Pokken.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
The best answer I can find for those who are just playing Pokken for the first time is to choose the one who looks the best to you; someone that looks like they play like your style. Keep playing them Until you're actually proficient at utilizing the mechanics and commanding your Pokemon.

WusijiDR

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wusiji
I would say go through the tutorial with every character and whoever you have the most fun with, try to stick with them. The tutorial is great for getting the most out of each character

Life

Smash Hero
I've been told Pika's the easiest to pick up and also probably very good (super early to do tier spec IMO but if someone wants to open that thread feel free, PM Tier Spec is like half the reason I come to this site LOL). I'm learning the game on Weavile, myself.

A huge boon would be someone compiling what moves are safe on block. There's a bit for a few characters on Reddit, but it's super incomplete.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I would just play around with everyone in training mode for a bit and see who you you like best. I did that and ended up choosing Garchomp.

Professor Fizwidgit

Smash Rookie
What if they don't have the game and just want to know who to play before they even get to play it because it will probably be like a month from now and they want to kinda have an idea of who they would play in advance. I have been looking at gameplay in an attempt to find the complete scumbag character's and I seem to have limited myself to Gengar, Gardevior, Suicune, and Chandelure.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
What if they don't have the game and just want to know who to play before they even get to play it because it will probably be like a month from now and they want to kinda have an idea of who they would play in advance. I have been looking at gameplay in an attempt to find the complete scumbag character's and I seem to have limited myself to Gengar, Gardevior, Suicune, and Chandelure.
You want to play the complete scumbag characters? Anyways, looking at gameplay is the closest that you can get to figuring out what character suits you without being able to play the game yourself.

Professor Fizwidgit

Smash Rookie
You want to play the complete scumbag characters? Anyways, looking at gameplay is the closest that you can get to figuring out what character suits you without being able to play the game yourself.
Well sure, those tend to be the funnest to play for me, always have been in fighting games.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Well sure, those tend to be the funnest to play for me, always have been in fighting games.
That's a bit strange to me; I always enjoy playing the coolest or most stylish people in fighting games, and try to avoid playing the scumbag characters at all costs. I guess different people have different tastes, though.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Man it breaks my heart that people see zoners as "scumbag characters." :urg: Not everyone enjoys dashing up to people and smashing them.

Course I guess that's what were we're talking about in this thread isn't it? Jump into training mode and figure out what you like doing. Test drive against a few CPUs from there and decide if you like how it feels. Like the playstyle, but feel awkward using the moves? Try a character in the same archtype. Otherwise maybe try a different character archtype entirely. Of course if you're a Pokémon fan you might already have a 'mon you like in the roster and just want to get good with that character no matter how they gel with you and that can be its own journey.

Professor Fizwidgit

Smash Rookie
Man it breaks my heart that people see zoners as "scumbag characters." :urg: Not everyone enjoys dashing up to people and smashing them.

Course I guess that's what were we're talking about in this thread isn't it? Jump into training mode and figure out what you like doing. Test drive against a few CPUs from there and decide if you like how it feels. Like the playstyle, but feel awkward using the moves? Try a character in the same archtype. Otherwise maybe try a different character archtype entirely. Of course if you're a Pokémon fan you might already have a 'mon you like in the roster and just want to get good with that character no matter how they gel with you and that can be its own journey.
When did I say zoners are "scumbag characters?"
Let me give you a smash example so you can maybe understand what I mean.
Scumbag firstly= annoying =/= zoning (zoning is just used often for such characters)

Rosalina is a scumbag, she can camp hard and has a move that cuts off half the cast from using their whole moveset

Megaman is NOT a scumbag, he is a zoner who has understandable and fun to play against counterplay that is interesting for everyone involved.

Wario is a scumbag, all he does is command grab sometimes and stall till he gets his "exodia" (Fart) and obliterates you.

Samus is not a scumbag, much like Megaman her zoning tools are understandable and interesting.

Sonic is a scumbag, his whole moveset involves running to safety and using spindash constantly.

A scumbag character is a character, whose design philosophy is not fun to fight. In other words, think less Dhalsim and think more.... Superman from Injustice.

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
So, this game looks great, played it when some friends brought it over at school and plan on getting it myself. I'm not telling you to tell me who to play, but l've been doing a lot of Corrin (melee-zoning, using reach over projectiles for the most part) in SSB4 and some Shiek (can control the pace of the match, choosing when to camp and when to approach) in PM. First, l want to know how the speed of the game is, compared to maybe SSB4, and then who might come close to Corrin and Shiek. l just want an idea of what l'm getting into. 15 minutes spent mashing buttons and getting rekt by Machamp (who my friends keep telling me is OP) and Gardevoir didn't help.

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
When did I say zoners are "scumbag characters?"
Let me give you a smash example so you can maybe understand what I mean.
Scumbag firstly= annoying =/= zoning (zoning is just used often for such characters)

Rosalina is a scumbag, she can camp hard and has a move that cuts off half the cast from using their whole moveset

Megaman is NOT a scumbag, he is a zoner who has understandable and fun to play against counterplay that is interesting for everyone involved.

Wario is a scumbag, all he does is command grab sometimes and stall till he gets his "exodia" (Fart) and obliterates you.

Samus is not a scumbag, much like Megaman her zoning tools are understandable and interesting.

Sonic is a scumbag, his whole moveset involves running to safety and using spindash constantly.

A scumbag character is a character, whose design philosophy is not fun to fight. In other words, think less Dhalsim and think more.... Superman from Injustice.
Hey man you'll have to forgive me for jumping to conclusions when you list three of the game's, what, maybe 4-5 zoners as scumbag characters. I see what you're saying though.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
So, this game looks great, played it when some friends brought it over at school and plan on getting it myself. I'm not telling you to tell me who to play, but l've been doing a lot of Corrin (melee-zoning, using reach over projectiles for the most part) in SSB4 and some Shiek (can control the pace of the match, choosing when to camp and when to approach) in PM. First, l want to know how the speed of the game is, compared to maybe SSB4, and then who might come close to Corrin and Shiek. l just want an idea of what l'm getting into. 15 minutes spent mashing buttons and getting rekt by Machamp (who my friends keep telling me is OP) and Gardevoir didn't help.
Controlling the game by controlling the space is the calling card of gardevoir, suince, braixen, chandelure, and the mewtwos.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Its ok everyone makes that mistake, by the way I lowered it down to Suicune (The walls), Gengar (The everything), and Chandelure.
Add Dark Mewtwo (and maybe normal Mewtwo; I haven't played against him at all) to the list and it'll be complete. Anyways, chip damage on multi-hit moves is unacceptable. Went from 70's to 1 from a hyper suicune in less than three seconds.

Last edited:

The*insertage*reviewer

Smash Rookie
NNID
The12reviewee
This is a serious question, with pokken am I supposed to mash random buttons and somehow win, or do I need to use actual strategies? To me, I'm just pressing random buttons and winning because the attacks are doing all the movement and strategies for me.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
Every character in every fighting game is about controlling space. It's just a matter of which spaces you're more threatening at than others.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
So out of the characters thst I've been playing, I kinda have a small summary of their playstyle.

Shadow Mewtwo: glass Cannon. Deals a ton of damage with his attacks and setups, but has no hp. Also the edgelord of the game

Chandelure: literally a Glass Cannon, like she's a glass decoration that shoots lasers. She's arguably the best zoner in the game and has a ton of damage output and debuff control, but has very little options once the opponent is in her face, also little health.

Braixen: another Zoner, but she actually has a few options when close to the opponent. She also focuses on using assists, and can use some of the slower assists without much worry due to her ability to charge support meter very fast.

Gengar: he's the tricky one. Has a lot of mixups as well as arguably the best mega evolution in the game. Only downside is that its one of the slowest to charge.

Machamp: the heavy grappler of the game. He takes hits like a tank and hits like a truck. His grabs deal a ton of damage, and he can give quite the punch, but lacks any long range game and has limited options going in.

Pikachu libre: the speed grappler. She's a great mix of rushdown and grapples that can overwhelm the opponent. Like machamp though, she also has a bit of trouble getting into the action.

Those are the ones I can think about.the others I didn't have enough experience playing them.

Top Bottom