• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chomping Projectiles and Strategies

Beethro

Smash Cadet
NNID
dernCereal
3DS FC
2621-3736-4780
Is there a list anywhere of what projectiles can, cant, and shouldnt be chomped? I apologize if there already is, but if there isnt, i think that would be good information to know. I historically have had a huge problem getting shield grabbed all the time, but i recently picked up Wario and that chomp has been very cleanly solving that problem in ways that inhale simply could not, to the point where he might just outright be my main because of it. And i think it would be nice to know other applications of it.

Now, whenever people mention what can and cant be chomped i just hear "if villager can pocket it, it can be chomped" but im pretty sure we can get a bit more specific that that, especially since villager gets momentary invincibility on pocket letting him pocket projectiles with high priority, some of which im pretty sure chomping isnt an option for. Also it seems some projectiles that one would think would count as explosive dont make him blow up (samus missiles for example) which i feel is pretty important to know for shutting down certain characters' projectile spam. Also it'd be nice to know which items actually heal wario/charge waft (and how much) when he eats them. Other than that, some timings and angles might be nice to know, like some projectiles move so fast that have to be predicted to appropriately swallow (pac man's key maybe?), and im sure theres some that would be swallowed when both characters are grounded but would hit over or under the chompbox at certain altitudes (greninja's charged shuriken comes to mind). So this thread is for if people wanna discuss anomalous chomping situations, and even just which projectiles are a good idea to swallow and which are not. And then for the should-not chomps, maybe mention how they affect the bike? Heck, it would even be nice to know about some nonprojectile moves that you can chomp people out of like falcon kick or flareblitz or mach tornado or something; that you might not have expected with their range or priority. Especially for certain characters' recoveries that cant be otherwise disrupted reliably. Essentially, just discuss useful creative ways to use chomp to disrupt or take advantage of certain characters' tools, and alternative solutions to the situations where chomp unexpectedly wouldnt work.

I only have one copy available so i cant really test this stuff efficiently against computers so y'all are gonna have to bear with me. If eventually there is enough valuable information in this thread for a character by character list, itd be cool if that could be made (and even stickied,) but im not cool enough yet to be the guy that can do that alone, sorry everyone. Though i am willing to make a list of all interesting chomp interactions character by character, if enough people contribute interesting stuff/care.

so yeah ill start; im pretty sure samus missiles dont cause wario to blow up, and i dont believe he can chomp zelda's phantom, zelda's dins fire, or rosalina's luma. Fox's blaster seems very inconsistent to chomp and generally unuseful, yet bike doesnt seem to take damage. Also I dont think palutena's autoreticle can be chomped (at least not at certain angles) and even if it could, the following hits will get you any anyway so dont bother; also be warned, they hit you while youre on bike. Also pacman's fire hydrant can be chomped in the air before it hits the ground, but not while planted on the ground, and im not sure about while its canonballing after being hit. Sheik needles are not chompable when charged at all, but can be biked through. Also, Sheik's side-b blows you up. You can chomp the leftover log/pokedoll from Greninja's counter for health. Also someone else should confirm this but i believe i chomped a bowser on the way down from his down-b (i believe i was under him, slightly to the left, facing his center, and in the air). You can also chomp a jiggs mid rollout. Finally, you cant chomp your abandoned bike until it falls over or breaks.

some things that might be considered are pika's thunder, lucario's side-b, megaman's down&side-b, pikmin, rob's laser, villager's lloid, or duckhunt's stuff. and maybe test some regrabable projectiles like rob's gyro, megaman's metal blade, pacman's wheel thingy and side-b (especially the side-b), and diddy's peanuts and bananas, for healing and waft charge in particular. heck all of megaman's moves. some non projectiles like marcina's shieldbreaker (both aerial and grounded), cfalc and ganon up&side-b, yoshi's down-b (stars and yoshi himself), meta knight's specials, dk up-b, jiggs' fair, pit/too's down&side-b, greninja's up and side-b, and diddykong up&side-b off the top of my head would be nice to know about; im sure some of them have particular distances and time frames that need to be watched out for. look for explosions, heals, fart charges, timings, and interesting outprioritizations. use your imagination.

this information is useful stuff, right? its a very unique move where knowing it inside and out could definitely catch some people offguard, especially with how uncommon it is to find wario players online and stuff.

ok go

P.S. it seems that an abandoned-but-still-moving bike goes through right through nayru's love. go nuts with that info (maybe other reflectors too perhaps?)

P.P.S. unrelated, but is there a matchup discussion thread yet? itd be nice to have a wario knowledge thread that isnt cluttered by pre-release posts. again though i dont think im high profile enough to be the guy to do that.

ok nooow go

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I was actually playing against a Robin just now and I noticed you can eat Arcfire. Thunder and Elthunder as well, but not sure on Arcthunder.

I'm pretty sure you can eat all of Pac Man's items. I know you can eat the key, at least. Also a fire hydrant when it has a hitbox from falling. (Can't eat it when stationary though)

Last edited:

Cheers

Smash Apprentice
Ill try making a list when i get home from work tomorrow

Rakurai

Smash Ace
As far as I've noticed, he can chomp anything Villager can Pocket.

It's really not worth attempting on certain projectiles like Samus' charged shot due to hitbox shenanigans making it not work with any degree of consistency, though.

Zzzap

Smash Rookie

It's really not worth attempting on certain projectiles like Samus' charged shot due to hitbox shenanigans making it not work with any degree of consistency, though.
Villager's Pocket and Wario's Chomp do not have a 100% overlap. Also, Samus's Charge Shot can be easily devoured.

There's a reddit post from two days ago on everything he can eat, and a bunch of moves Chomp beats. I can't link it because I haven't had ten posts on smashboards yet, but it should be easy to find. It's called Wario's Chomp vs The World: A Guide.

Beware the Chomp. Wa.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I don't know if it's timing based or something, but I seem to just randomly take the charged shot in the face instead of eating it when I try.

On a side note, using Chomp immediately after jumping off of the Heavy Bike causes Wario to launch forward a considerable distance for some odd reason. You can also redirect this momentum by B reversing the chomp. Could make for an amusing mindgame tactic.

Last edited:

Zzzap

Smash Rookie
Apologies. I've been doing a lot of research-intensive posts lately, and Chomp is just such a useful, versatile, move.

Beethro

Smash Cadet
NNID
dernCereal
3DS FC
2621-3736-4780
There's a reddit post from two days ago on everything he can eat, and a bunch of moves Chomp beats. I can't link it because I haven't had ten posts on smashboards yet, but it should be easy to find. It's called Wario's Chomp vs The World: A Guide.

Beware the Chomp. Wa.
ooh ive never reddited i had no idea. thats good to know, thanks!

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
You can eat PK Fire. The guide doesn't say that.

Experienced that first hand today lol. Though you have to be pretty close I imagine.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Good to know that the chomp still stops so many dash attacks and side Bs, many of them from characters that I hate fighting.

Bralef

Smash Cadet
Pikachu's Skull Bash is easily shut down with Chomp. I assume the same applies to Green Missile.

Fairly certain all "Item" projectiles like Gyros and Peanuts can be easily and consistently eaten, as they could in Brawl. Mr. Saturn and Pokeballs still can't be eaten.

Rob's Laser couldn't be eaten in Brawl, and the way the projectile works, I doubt it can be now, either.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu's Skull Bash is easily shut down with Chomp. I assume the same applies to Green Missile.

Fairly certain all "Item" projectiles like Gyros and Peanuts can be easily and consistently eaten, as they could in Brawl. Mr. Saturn and Pokeballs still can't be eaten.

Rob's Laser couldn't be eaten in Brawl, and the way the projectile works, I doubt it can be now, either.
Dedede ate my laser, so it might work differently now.

Usopp

Smash Apprentice
I've mained wario my entire smash career since I first got brawl. Nd bite is one of my favorite moves. Honestly the fact that you can eat items basically takes away strategies lol. Just now on for glory I ate my way to victory vs villager,pacman,diddy Kong, and bowser jr. The bowser jr match was the best after I ate the cannonball the other person just stop taunted and SD'd twice to leave the game

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
I've mained wario my entire smash career since I first got brawl. Nd bite is one of my favorite moves. Honestly the fact that you can eat items basically takes away strategies lol. Just now on for glory I ate my way to victory vs villager,pacman,diddy Kong, and bowser jr. The bowser jr match was the best after I ate the cannonball the other person just stop taunted and SD'd twice to leave the game
People SD for such ridiculous reasons sometimes. I got 50% on this guy before he could get any % on me and he just SDed. It's like... 50% is nothin' man you can so come back from that if you play smart. You could at least try.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709

Not true, Villager can pocket Lucario's Side B and I found out that you cannot chomp it. I imagine that this is the same for moves like Pikachu's Thunder or Robin's Thoron.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Chomp's hitbox is really weird.

The only way you can really be certain of whether or not something is chompable is do it while you're invincible, since some things I initially dismissed as unchompable such as Olimar's Pikmin can actually be chomped, but require extremely precise spacing and timing.

EDIT: Thoron is edible. It looks hilarious to see the entire thing disappear if you do actually manage to chomp it.

Last edited:

Bralef

Smash Cadet
Chomp's hitbox is really weird.

The only way you can really be certain of whether or not something is chompable is do it while you're invincible, since some things I initially dismissed as unchompable such as Olimar's Pikmin can actually be chomped, but require extremely precise spacing and timing.

EDIT: Thoron is edible. It looks hilarious to see the entire thing disappear if you do actually manage to chomp it.
It seems the primary difference between Pocket and Chomp is that Pocket has invincibility frames, while Chomp doesn't. I imagine this had led to some misconceptions about Villager "Pocketing" things that were actually just avoided with the invincibility frames, like it did with Link's Final Smash.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I think the problem with Chomp is that the game prioritizes hitting Wario if the projectile makes contact with both his hurtbox and the Chomp hitbox simultaneously.

xzx

Smash Lord
You can indeed eat almost anything. Almost. I have noticed that as soon as a hitbox touches Wario's hurtbox(es) while Chomping, he can't eat the projectile/item, even if it is edible. And then, some items/projectiles have their hurtboxes covered in hitboxes...

We need to make a list!

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I don't know if they fixed Chomp's hitbox in the Wii U version or something, but I saw a Wario eat a Thoron multiple times without getting hit by it, while I was only able to get it to work in the 3DS version while I was invincible.

Top Bottom