• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chomp/Downsmash>get-up attack?!

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
So I'm on the edge and this wario is on me with his mouth open so I use getup attack and he just eats me WTF, then I'm on the edge again and he does a down smash and it beats my getup attack WTF how is that possible. I try one last time with a fair and he eats my fair even though I spaced away. Honestly I don't know what to do I can't get back on stage although I didn't try rolling off the ledge behind him but I doubt that will work I was soo mad and of course the typical forglory taunt and quit after you win 1 game. Any help would be great it's not like I fight a good wario all the time though thanks

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Wario's cannot hold chomp indefinitely. Wait for it to close then getup attack. Also yes, Rolling past the chomp will work as well.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Wario is one of the best characters (if not outright THE best character) at covering and punishing ledge options.

Also, I wouldn't recommend waiting for Neutral-B's cooldown to punish on reaction; the cooldown is so short that you may not punish it that way. The grab isn't very disjointed; if you see Wario doing that, you can drop from the ledge and do a jumping aerial to punish it.

Last edited:

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
I tried a fair it didn't work! I was playing alph and I know it's not a good match-up the only thing I could do was grab him off his bike haha but another thing that pissed me off was his down air to up smash, I perfect shielded his down air and was about to down smash and his up smash was still faster WTF anyway enough with my rant it's just frustrating when you don't even get much a chance to learn how to counter a type of play style because they just quite after 1 game

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If it's online, you likely weren't spaced properly. Olimar F-Air beats Wario Neutral-B really cleanly by virtue of it being a disjointed hitbox. Wario D-Air has 19 frames of landing lag; if you shielded, then dropped your shield as early as you possibly could, you should have at least 10 frames where Wario is stuck and vulnerable. Even outside of that, Wario U-Smash hits on Frame 11 at the earliest, so you should have a third of a second to do something about it in that situation.

It's a combination of you being slow and online play's input lag making punishes harder.

Top Bottom