• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Children's take on Project M

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
Over Thanksgiving I brought Project M home to my little cousins (middle school aged and under). Doing so made me aware of a ton of work that's gone into this mod that I wouldn't have noticed with my focus on it's competitive aspects.

Random, unordered points of interest:

- Just seeing the Project M intro screens evoked a "This is sooo coooool!" out of them

- They're familiar with both Melee and Brawl, and immediately mentioned it "felt" more like Melee.

- They loved, LOVED the Project M specific skins on some of their favorite characters, and were especially amused with the Ninja Squirtle outfits.

- They were really excited to see both Mewtoo and Roy back on the roster, and loved their final smashes.

- They had a lot of fun with All-Star mode, although it took a while to explain to them how to select their characters with the skins they wanted.

Many props to the Project M dev team for all this work, it did not go unnoticed :)

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
To me, this shows that casual and beginning players don't necessarily need super easy game mechanics. Instead, a good periphery of bonus content can do the trick. Take notice, Nintendo!

Last edited:

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
Its true; even though I like to learn competitive play and all, I first got this simply because it had cool sounding ideas, an awesome take on the cast... and a not-Brawl Ganondorf.

Trust me, it has quite a bit that stands for a "casual" crowd, slight degree of knowledge needed to load it notwithstanding.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Project M is a fun game. You don't need to be good at it to have fun!

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
When i visited my cousins for thanksgiving, i brought over my Wii because i would be there for the weekend aswell. While i was playing my younger cousins come into the room i was sleeping in and saw i was playing Brawl. They wanted to play against me because they love smash bros. Once i got the extra controllers out they were excited to see that the menu was different then what they always see. They also like the alternative costumes and especially Turbo mode.

They loved it so much that they wanted to know how to get it. Long story short, i lose a 2GB SD card with a clean build of 3.5 (which i have my new Sd card now) in return to see the enjoyment that Project M brought to both me and my younger cousins.

When i came back to get my phone i lost over at their house, I see my relatives (like my aunt and even my uncle) playing with my cousins with Wii motes and GameCube controllers, brawling it out with the Shadow Peach costume, the Orange Yoshi, and even My uncle using the Big Boss Snake costume (he's a big MGS fan). I have never been happier to play Project M like I ever did before because it shows people that you can enjoy a game no matter what it is.

Last edited:

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
They loved it so much that they wanted to know how to get it. Long story short, i lose a 2GB SD card with a clean build of 3.5 (which i have my new Sd card now) in return to see the enjoyment that Project M brought to both me and my younger cousins.
Heh. We should all play "Project M-claus" this Christmas, and hand out 3.5 SD cards to all the needy Smashers in our lives \o/

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
A couple of sisters (seemed 6-9 years old) showed up at my scene's monthly and asked to play. They loved it, and it was actually pretty hype (tech chases, edgeguards, jab resets). After a while, we bumped up their stocks (one of the subtler ways the PMDT has one-upped Sakurai), turned off friendly fire, and played simultaneous 1v1's under the guise of teams. They got pretty competitive about it.
The best part was when we showed them the Ice Climber's new costume, and one of them wanted to play as DA BEARS. She immediately (unwittingly) started trying to Wobble.
The only thing they ever seemed distraught over was one of them wanted to use the Daisy-Peach during teams.

Last edited:

McSlur

Smash Journeyman
A couple of sisters (seemed 6-9 years old) showed up at my scene's monthly and asked to play. They loved it, and it was actually pretty hype (tech chases, edgeguards, jab resets). After a while, we bumped up their stocks (one of the subtler ways the PMDT has one-upped Sakurai), turned off friendly fire, and played simultaneous 1v1's under the guise of teams. They got pretty competitive about it.
The best part was when we showed them the Ice Climber's new costume, and one of them wanted to play as DA BEARS. She immediately (unwittingly) started trying to Wobble.
The only thing they ever seemed distraught over was one of them wanted to use the Daisy-Peach during teams.
Huh, she must have been a super fan. :D
At one point, I would play Brawl with my younger sister. We had quite a bit of fun, and she would invite a seven year old friend over to play. After a while, I got into Brawl hacking and found PM 2.6b. I started playing that quite a bit, and stopped playing Brawl all together. When I suggested we play PM, they wanted to try it. After a while of playing PM I looked at the seven year old and said "so which one do you like better, even though Brawl has more characters in it?" He said something along the lines of "I like this one better, it feels like I can control my guy better." My little sister loved how Toon Link was more canonical then Brawl Toon Link with his jab combo and his Fsmash.
It's just kind of interesting that a seven year old kid who barely played Smash at all could feel the difference in how well the characters moved. PM 3.0 came out and we never looked back to Brawl.

BBOY15

Smash Apprentice
After reading this thread I now think it's likely that Project M is better than all of the Smash games, taking everything into consideration.

Celestis

Smash Ace
I had this exact same reaction for thanksgiving as I used PM to keep the kids busy with all the company we had. It was pretty cool and I even switched over to Smash 4 later on to keep them interested and occupied, and one said. "I could play the other one better." And " I liked Lucario on the other one" So that was pretty cool =3
They loved the costumes.

Foo

Smash Lord
Eh... don't hurt me... but I actually think smash 4 is the best smash game yet... Now, before you skin and burn me alive, let me finish. Smash 4 is going to sell the most and there is going to be the highest amount of total fun being had. If a game as high depth as melee or PM was released every game, it would be hard to get into the series since experience in this game gives you SUCH as advantage. If someone who knows all the basic tech, mostly l-canceling, teching and shorthopping, played a complete beginner, you'll see a fourstock every time. Transfer that to smash 4 and you'll have a slight advantage to player number 1.

HOWEVER, if there was only one smash to exsit, and there were never going to be more, PM would absolutely be the pick.

(BTW, I want to make it clear: I HATE SMASH 4. I have absolutely no fun playing it in the slightest. However, I also thinks it's a fantastic game.)

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
If a game as high depth as melee or PM was released every game, it would be hard to get into the series since experience in this game gives you SUCH as advantage.
This is the same assumption Nintendo made when they created Brawl. It's pretty ridiculous when you consider the fact that they repeatedly acknowledge that the competitive community is a really small % of the entire Smash player base.

Plus, you have to further assume that every competitive player has the desire to ruin the fun for less experienced players. That doesn't jive with reality; we have a thread full of stories here of try-hards sharing the awesomeness of Project-M with their casual friends and family.

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
This is the same assumption Nintendo made when they created Brawl. It's pretty ridiculous when you consider the fact that they repeatedly acknowledge that the competitive community is a really small % of the entire Smash player base.

Plus, you have to further assume that every competitive player has the desire to ruin the fun for less experienced players. That doesn't jive with reality; we have a thread full of stories here of try-hards sharing the awesomeness of Project-M with their casual friends and family.
I'm not talking about competitive people, just people who are fans of smash in general. Someone casually plays every smash game in the series, and gets good at l-canceling, short hopping and teching. He tells his friend smash is really fun, and they play together. The new player, not knowing the basic mechanics, gets beat every single time by a wide margin, making it less fun for him. The other guy tries to teach him these mechanics, but it's too much work. It isn't about competitive vs casual, it's about vets vs beginners. Fighting games are competitive by nature, but nintendo wants to remove mechanics that reward technical skill of any sort to make new players able to hold their own against fans of the series, and they did a good job with that.

If my friends hadn't switched to brawl from melee before I started playing with them, I would never have gotten into smash in the first place. When I heard people played PM at a school I was planning on going to, I started playing. It was PM and I sucked at first, but since I had fun playing brawl, I decided to try to get good at this one too. Two nintendo brand new controllers, a copy of brawl and a wii later, I got really into PM. If brawl was like melee, I wouldn't have gotten into smash at all.

Fighting games as a genre are very tough to get into. If you play with a friend who has no clue what he's doing and neither do you, it's a lot of fun. However, if one of you DO, then it's a very daunting prospect to learn all the techniques he does to be able to play the actual game as it's meant to be played. If you don't care much one way or the other, you won't get into the game, and won't buy it.

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
The new player, not knowing the basic mechanics, gets beat every single time by a wide margin, making it less fun for him. The other guy tries to teach him these mechanics, but it's too much work. It isn't about competitive vs casual, it's about vets vs beginners.
L-canceling, short hopping, and other techs were in both Smash64 and Melee. Melee's popularity wasn't hurt, at all, by people who had mastered these skills on Smash64. That's because the vast majority of Smash's fans don't care to master these skills, and play with friends that don't care to master these skills.

Even when you have competitive players are playing with casuals, this isn't an issue. A couple weeks ago I played 8-player Smash on the Wii-U with a bunch of casual players. Timed battles, items on. I won most of the games, because of my experience with previous Smash titles. Everyone still had a blast.

My little cousins playing Project M don't know the basic mechanics, and they would have been beaten by a wide-margin everytime, except we had items on, we were playing four player free-for-all, and I spent a lot of my matches either messing around with characters I wasn't familiar with, or practicing Link's Ocarina. I did so because resoundingly defeating someone that isn't good at the game isn't something I find fun.

Foo

Smash Lord
Let's not turn this thread into a PM vs Smash Wii U arguement please..
It was supposed to be for the children!
It's not smash 4 vs PM. I am arguing that they are basically incomparable, both designed in completely different ways.

L-canceling, short hopping, and other techs were in both Smash64 and Melee. Melee's popularity wasn't hurt, at all, by people who had mastered these skills on Smash64. That's because the vast majority of Smash's fans don't care to master these skills, and play with friends that don't care to master these skills.

Even when you have competitive players are playing with casuals, this isn't an issue. A couple weeks ago I played 8-player Smash on the Wii-U with a bunch of casual players. Timed battles, items on. I won most of the games, because of my experience with previous Smash titles. Everyone still had a blast.

My little cousins playing Project M don't know the basic mechanics, and they would have been beaten by a wide-margin everytime, except we had items on, we were playing four player free-for-all, and I spent a lot of my matches either messing around with characters I wasn't familiar with, or practicing Link's Ocarina. I did so because resoundingly defeating someone that isn't good at the game isn't something I find fun.
You need to stop using words like "mastery" or "competitive." Let me give you a situation. This exact same thing happened in PM, and almost made me want to give up on it. Somebody is friends with somebody who plays smash with a group of friends casually. That friend invites that somebody to come play. They play free for all, and none of them are any good, but the new guy still feels like he just doesn't know how to play the game and doesn't feel like he can compete. If I hadn't gotten decent at brawl, I probably would have just quit there and if I had more hobbies, I would have just quit there.

That's not me getting four stocked by competitive smash players, that's me dying first is most free for alls accidentally killing myself with the new melee air dodge and never being able to use an aerial because L-canceling is SO important. Those people I played with weren't good at all, they were completely casual players. I could four stock all of them easily now, with the exception of a few.

Most people get introduced to smash by their friends, and that first experience with the game decides whether they will become fans of the series or not. Nintendo is targetting a casual audience, and that audience doesn't want to put time into games to get the most enjoyment out of them. That means new smash games have to be as accessible as possible.

Also, your argument is SO INCREDIBLY FALSE. Yeah, when people are at a tournament, they are going to sand bag for little kids who want to play. However, teenagers aren't going to want to sandbag hard in teams or free for all every single game for their new friend. Everyday I see one vs ones happen, I see at least one fourstock. The only people in my group who sandbag AT ALL are the few people who have topped at tournaments (4 including myself). That's not representative of the smash community. For some reason, that I don't understand at all, smash players tend to be super chill and humble in person. Casual smashers on the other hand, not at all.

My main point is, if brawl and smash 4 worked off melee physics, the playerbase would be significantly smaller, like all other fighting games. Smash, as the only casual fighting game, has a different strategy to others.

Also, lol @64 comparison. Nobody even knew what soft landing was outside of the tournament scene. Also, teching was much harder and less important (outside of tournament). Not to mention, short hopping isn't that important if you don't L-cancel.

(I want to make it clear, I'm not saying this is a flaw in PM, just that it fills a different niche. That's one of the reasons nintendo doesn't give a crap about PM. The communities don't interfere with eachother)

Last edited:

TKDbeast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kyle
I'd say that, in short, Smash 4 is easier to pick up on than P:M. Doesn't mean that a 7 year old can't play P:M, but it's easier for them to compete in a Smash 4 tourney.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
My little niece has been playing PM since 3.02's release and can't go back to Brawl because she finds it too slow and boring. She came by for Thanksgiving and got absolutely ecstatic when I told her that there was a new version of PM out now. I haven't gotten to see if she's started playing it yet since her SD Card and my reader were giving us issues when I tried to update it and I gave her one of my many backups instead so she get start playing as soon as she got home, but I can bet she'll be having a blast with it on her own up until Christmas when she comes back and we can play together. <3

She has the demo for Smash 4 3DS, but she's definitely more interested on PM. That, and she mainly wanted a 3DS for New Leaf anyway. XD

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
My main point is, if brawl and smash 4 worked off melee physics, the playerbase would be significantly smaller, like all other fighting games. Smash, as the only casual fighting game, has a different strategy to others.
You know what Smash has that other fighting games don't?

Items. Some sort of balanced, some horribly unbalanced, all of them tons of fun.
Timed matches
Giant mode, coin mode, etc etc etc etc.

These are things that either help close the skill gap between players, or, much more importantly, make the game a ton of fun, even if you're not winning.

I know that situations like you describe exist. But you're wayyyy over-estimating the population of Smash players that applies to, and really don't understand what drives sales of Smash as a whole. (A fun game with loads of fan-service and the best of Nintendo's franchise characters).

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
In my experience, children really don't like Project M.

Then again, my definition of "child" includes "Melee elitist."

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You know what Smash has that other fighting games don't?

Items. Some sort of balanced, some horribly unbalanced, all of them tons of fun.
Timed matches
Giant mode, coin mode, etc etc etc etc.

These are things that either help close the skill gap between players, or, much more importantly, make the game a ton of fun, even if you're not winning.

I know that situations like you describe exist. But you're wayyyy over-estimating the population of Smash players that applies to, and really don't understand what drives sales of Smash as a whole. (A fun game with loads of fan-service and the best of Nintendo's franchise characters).
Smash kind of sells itself. Game physics ignored, no other title lets you pick Pikachu and Mario. Brawl could have had Melee's physics and would have been wildly popular.

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
Yeah... Smash selling just needs "potential fighting game" taken right off the table. It sells because awesome. Awesome characters, stages, premise... awesome. I didn't buy it back on 64 or melee originally because "a fighting game!" No, it was "all the stars together? SQUEEEEE!!!"

The-Noid-Bill

Smash Rookie
I played it with my little brother and sister once, and now they refuse to go back to brawl, they say "the moves are too dumb and look weird" a lot of times in brawl they wondered what was happening when they tripped, like it was a glitch or something, however when they first played PM it looked "weird" or in other words "why are the menus all purple?" but after a while they loved it :D saying "i go a lot faster" "Peach's castle!!" "new levels?" "Whoa look what this move does now!" "The pokemon should have already not had a trainer to begin with, pikachu doesn't have one!" they did't know why Roy and Mewtwo were back saying they weren't useful anyways but they love it none the less. See, even children can recognize the janky-ness that was brawl. ._.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Over Thanksgiving I brought Project M home to my little cousins (middle school aged and under). Doing so made me aware of a ton of work that's gone into this mod that I wouldn't have noticed with my focus on it's competitive aspects.

Random, unordered points of interest:

- Just seeing the Project M intro screens evoked a "This is sooo coooool!" out of them

- They're familiar with both Melee and Brawl, and immediately mentioned it "felt" more like Melee.

- They loved, LOVED the Project M specific skins on some of their favorite characters, and were especially amused with the Ninja Squirtle outfits.

- They were really excited to see both Mewtoo and Roy back on the roster, and loved their final smashes.

- They had a lot of fun with All-Star mode, although it took a while to explain to them how to select their characters with the skins they wanted.

Many props to the Project M dev team for all this work, it did not go unnoticed :)
Now this is a story well deserving of much more.

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
My first actual experience introducing a younger person to PM was when I was at my cousins house and a younger family friend came to play. He was around 10 or 11? I didn't tell them about the mod because I didn't think they would care (not really into Smash stuff), but when he would see the alt costumes and Mewtwo and Roy he would be like, "WOAH, when was that in the game!" I'm guessing it's been a while since they've played Brawl...

IronChar

Smash Journeyman

possible with All star versus.

simply pick the characters first with the costumes then turn on the team battle mode

Top Bottom