• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chemical Plant Zone, Remastered

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:
Before saying anything else, I want to thank everyone who worked on the original chemical plant zone stage (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhrfZ0f3JZI), which my remastered version is based on. I could not have done this without that helpful template to work with. Thank you KTH, Mewtwo2000 and LegacyWolf. Also, thanks to everybody who responded when I posted on these forums with a question. The learning curve on programs like 3DS max and brawlbox is STEEP!

Now without further ado, behold the fruit of my labors, a project which took me over 3 months to complete.

Designed to be both competitively viable and casually enjoyable, my remastered version of Chemical Plant Zone features a large central platform (approximately the same width as Distant Planet) with two slopes, over which 2 smaller platforms rotate. I believe this unique design really captures the essence of Sonic speeding through the ups and downs of the original chemical plant zone.

Download Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fn8l711g9tpd3hp/Chemical Plant Zone Remastered.rar?dl=0

Recommended BGMs:
(I've had these on repeat for the last 3 months XD)

Classic Chemical Plant Zone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsSaPbd4ojU
Modern Chemical Plant Zone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKGvznjL7uE
Death Egg Zone, Act 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMcPC1lrapg
Dreams of an Absolution, LB vs JS remix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNXXlqP4_9c

Unfortunately I do not know how to make a demo video of a stage, so you’ll have to just try it out yourself to see it in action. The stage goes over Final Destination.

Please try the stage, enjoy it, and let me know what you think!

Edit (2/14/2016): thanks to Jmantheshasher683 for helping me make SSS icons. Download link has been updated to include these.

Edit (2/16/2016): It has been brought to my attention that the rightmost death boundary of the stage was incorrectly set to 260 instead of 240. Whoops! This has been corrected, and the download link now leads to the fixed version.

Edit (3/2/2016): The stage has now been optimized to eliminate lag in 4-player matches (facepoint count reduced from 55,000 to 40,000). Animations for the spinies (the little metal octopi) have also been slightly improved. The download package also now includes some HD SSS icons (made by Cynapse).

Edit (8/22/16): Added youtube video link to op.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
OH MY GOD. This is an instant alt stage for Green Hill Zone in my build. Once my wii is out of dirty lens hell I can properly test this out. Thank you none the less.

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
Sure that'd be great!

I appreciate the positive response guys! A lot of work went into this baby.
I'm almost done, actually! I can't make the stage name myself, but you could ask someone like Theytah to make one for you. I just have to make a series icon for Sonic 2 and i'll be done!

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
I'm almost done, actually! I can't make the stage name myself, but you could ask someone like Theytah to make one for you. I just have to make a series icon for Sonic 2 and i'll be done!
Thanks! I can make the stage name, that's easy. I'll make it and post it tomorrow probably. (Btw the font for stage names is called "Genuine", in case you were wondering). Also I was just going to reuse the sonic series logo from green hill. But hey if you want to make a new one I won't stop you. =D

Last edited:

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
Thanks! I can make the stage name, that's easy. I'll make it and post it tomorrow probably. (Btw the font for stage names is called "Genuine", in case you were wondering). Also I was just going to reuse the sonic series logo from green hill. But hey if you want to make a new one I won't stop you. =D
Hehe, i just posted my folder as you wrote that. I'd be glad to let you add the stage name. My Sonic 2 logo looks like garbage anyway...

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
Hehe, i just posted my folder as you wrote that. I'd be glad to let you add the stage name. My Sonic 2 logo looks like garbage anyway...
The pictures look great; thanks for helping out! Tomorrow I'll edit them a little and bundle everything into a zip file, then I'll post the whole thing to Brawlvault, where it will be IMMORTALIZED. =D

Oh btw, the stage goes over final, not greenhill zone. So you'd probably need a .rel file to make it work there (see this handy website: http://www.lakora.us/rel/).

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
The pictures look great; thanks for helping out! Tomorrow I'll edit them a little and bundle everything into a zip file, then I'll post the whole thing to Brawlvault, where it will be IMMORTALIZED. =D

Oh btw, the stage goes over final, not greenhill zone. So you'd probably need a .rel file to make it work there (see this handy website: http://www.lakora.us/rel/).
oh, ok. thanks!

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
This stage looks awesome, and I'm loving the recommended BGMs! However, if there aren't any SSS icons to go with this, I can whip up some quickly.

EDIT: There's a lot of detail in the stage which is neat-o, I hope this isn't too laggy with four people.

Last edited:

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
This stage looks awesome, and I'm loving the recommended BGMs! However, if there aren't any SSS icons to go with this, I can whip up some quickly.

EDIT: There's a lot of detail in the stage which is neat-o, I hope this isn't too laggy with four people.
Thanks for noticing! I took great care in polishing the details of this stage. (I'm particularly proud of the vibrating "spinner" in the center background). Regarding lag, the stage currently has roughly 55,000 facepoints, which is slightly high. (I have read that 40,000 or less will pretty much guarantee no lag with 4 players). At 55k, There should be no lag with 3 or fewer players, but there may be a frame or two of lag with 4 players. Try the stage out with 4 and let me know if you notice any lag. If I put some more optimization work in, I can probably bring the stage down to 50k or fewer facepoints.

Also I just finished making the SSS icons. Will post them in the morning.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I literally frankenstein-ed the letters from the official names in the 3.6 build and if it went out of bounds, I resized the entire name.

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
I literally frankenstein-ed the letters from the official names in the 3.6 build and if it went out of bounds, I resized the entire name.
Dang haha, that's what I do too. Was hoping there was an easier way to go about it... :(

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
Dang haha, that's what I do too. Was hoping there was an easier way to go about it... :(
Here's what I do. In photoshop (any program would probably work) I type the name in 18 point Genuine font, all caps. Then I change the first letter of each word (or whatever words are capitalized) to 24 point. Then I resize it horizontally to about 140%, stretching or contracting depending on how long the name is.

jackal27

Smash Journeyman
After playing with this stage a bit I want to say that I think it could benefit from some fog in the background to help the foreground stand out more. Really gorgeous stage though. I may experiment with the lighting myself.

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
After playing with this stage a bit I want to say that I think it could benefit from some fog in the background to help the foreground stand out more. Really gorgeous stage though. I may experiment with the lighting myself.
Thanks for the constructive feedback. Personally, I think it looks good without fog, but that's probably just because it's my baby and I think it's perfect how I made it. =3 But by all means experiment and see if you can improve it.

Edit: regarding lighting, at one point I considered moving the light source to the right or left to make the character shadows more pronounced, but decided against it. You might want to try that and see how it looks. Just a thought.

Last edited:

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys. I just finished an optimized version of the stage, which should not experience any lag in most 4-player matches. The download link has been updated. Enjoy!

Top Bottom