• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Check out my Ylink

MUGG

Smash Apprentice
In the crewmatch "New Age of Smash (my Crew) vs. The Horsts" which took place on the Easter Egg Parade (a bigger tournament in Germany) I used Ylink because I thought my Ness wasn't ready yet and Falco wouldn't be a great choice, because el_b's Yoshi pwns fastfaller.

Well and since I've got better everytime when I've shown my videos to these boards I'm going to present my Ylink^^

here are the vids:

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi9_11md9R0 (MUGG (Ylink) vs. El_b (Yoshi))
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_nK3puHTFA (MUGG (Ylink) vs. Nowis (Link))

In the second match I had problems to kill Link.

What can I improve?
Thanx in advance and enjoy the videos.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
OK, I just had a quick look at the first video and you have a good ylink but you need to cut down on grabbing. You seemed to be grabbing alot and missed a few of your grabs which left you open for punishment. That is all I can see for now. I will have a more thorough look at it later.

I'll watch second match in a bit.

ToyzSoldier

Smash Apprentice
Woah, those are some weird rules you play under. Why take 2 of your own lives? Your recovery could benefit from some hookshotting though. On the second vid, your last stock, when you were recovering, you were in perfect distance for a hookshot. Plus you need to vary between projectiles and sword attacks. Or if you want to keep it a spam game, remain unpredictable. You can definately benefit from some unorthodox movement. And don't take to the skies every 2 seconds. Young Link isn't an ariel character. That's what made me suck so much in the beginning, jumping way too much, especially to take out projectiles.

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
PDOT and ToyzSoldier mostly covered it but I have to disagree with with ToyzSoldier about ylink not being an aerial character. You really don't wanna be on the ground the while time spamming projectiles. You really need to blend the right amount of aerials and projectiles for a ylink to be really effective.

Oh and really what's with people taking 2 stocks in the beginning.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Woah, those are some weird rules you play under. Why take 2 of your own lives? Your recovery could benefit from some hookshotting though. On the second vid, your last stock, when you were recovering, you were in perfect distance for a hookshot. Plus you need to vary between projectiles and sword attacks. Or if you want to keep it a spam game, remain unpredictable. You can definately benefit from some unorthodox movement. And don't take to the skies every 2 seconds. Young Link isn't an ariel character. That's what made me suck so much in the beginning, jumping way too much, especially to take out projectiles.
He says in the beginin its a crew match sir

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
PDOT and ToyzSoldier mostly covered it but I have to disagree with with ToyzSoldier about ylink not being an aerial character. You really don't wanna be on the ground the while time spamming projectiles. You really need to blend the right amount of aerials and projectiles for a ylink to be really effective.

Oh and really what's with people taking 2 stocks in the beginning.
To elaborate, each crew members carry over stock from previous matches, so all the stock of each member must be eliminated to defeat that opponent. Correct me if that was untrue in this case though.

EDIT: The above statement was posted by my brother Bane when he neglected to log onto his own account. Just for the record.
-Wiseguy

Bane

Smash Journeyman
All in all, not bad... Not great, but not really bad. I agree that you had some empty grabs, though it seemed like they were rare mistakes rather then a strategy flaw (just my impression). I agree basically with what the others have said, more diversity would pay dividends for you, always keep a blend of range and physical attacks. You rely heavily on defensive projectile tactics, which impedes your opponent's KO rate, but also your own. Projectiles should be mixed in with a few more arials, to keep them always guessing. That second match was pretty brutal, you were being a bit too defensive and he managed too many good licks in before you changed to a more offensive strategy, which really cost you. A few more d-smashes would have done wonders. The first match was considerably better though, in most aspects. All that being said, your Young Link is has some nice moves, I'll be interested to see how you continue to develop it.

And don't take to the skies every 2 seconds. Young Link isn't an ariel character. That's what made me suck so much in the beginning, jumping way too much, especially to take out projectiles.
Though I'm not so sure about that, some characters own Y. Link in a ground fight, it's a matter of sensing your opponent's own weakness and choosing to focus on arial or ground tactics if the situation warrants it. Y. Link has decent arials provided you time and space them appropriately. As for arial projectiles, I use them often myself, the freedom of being airborn allows for some very precise and diverse spamming techniques. A good knoledge and mastery of both is necessary though, as they are all required to play a balanced game. In this particular case though, I would tend to agree with you, his ground game was rather lacking, but he shouldn't cut any arial tactics, just improve his ground game. To each their own though I suppose.

MUGG

Smash Apprentice
@ all: Thank you for posting into this thread.
I should be able to improve my lowtier main with this^^

ToyzSoldier

Smash Apprentice
By "taking to the skies every 2 seconds" I mostly referred to full/double jumping too much, not neccessarily short hopping. I kind of think differently, so I consider shorthopping mostly a ground tactic, since it keeps you so close to the ground, except for sh uairs & dairs. Those are ariels to me since they pop up the opponent farther into the air for ariel combat. But anyway, just looking at this thread I've learned something. To be a good Y. Link you have to be able to balance air and ground combat as well as the sword and projectile, but always remain unpredictable in the process.

Top Bottom