• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Check major retailers (Target, Wal-Mart ect) Sat. and Sun. morning

True Fool

Smash Ace
Sunday is quite an awful day for releasing a game. Stores open late, wierd sunday traffic, sometimes really heavy sometimes really light.

I just need to double check with my place that they're doing a mid-night release, I am NOT going to try to get the thing on sunday. If they're not doing mid-night I'll have to cancell my preorder and look around at other places before-hand.

LordLocke

Smash Journeyman
Sunday was picked probably because it's the traditional 'day of rest'- Nintendo was seeking which day they'd distrup the least with a launch, and Sunday is probably intruding on less lives then most. (Then again, Nintendo's weird like that- they've had a few Sunday releases that I can think of)

I can't say I mind too much- Sunday launch means Saturday midnight releases and pre-release tournaments I can hope to bum my copy for free off of- which is something I can't be sure I'd be able to do most other days of the week.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
I work at Target as well as the Electronic Speciliast and I would love to get Brawl early if I could, lol. Nontheless, I'm more than positive that if I tried to scan the game, I'd get a "Hardlocked - 3/9/08" message or something like that.

Banzai_Kitten

Smash Cadet
I think the Sunday release was a great idea, considering it is the Sunday before my Spring Break.
Lucky you. The day after it comes out I have a 3 1/2 page report for school due. So I'll try to do that on Saturday. Not only that but I have band rehearsels monday and tuesday. It's like the world doesn't want me to play smash. :laugh:

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Tried a local Sears, said they haven't received shipment yet but that some more games (didn't say what or what console they'd be for) would be coming in later today.

EDITED IN LATER:

Also tried BJ's, another Sears and K-mart. It's like there are 4 possible scenarios:

There's the one that happens only when the person is under age 30:

"Sorry, not available until the 9th."

The one that happens when the person is too lazy to check the back room:

"Sorry, our shipment isn't in yet" or "Sorry, we are out of Stock"

The one that happens when the the person is over 80:

"Sorry, but those Wii's are going way too fast, we're almost always out of them."
"No, I'm not looking for a Wii, I'm looking for a game for the Wii."
"What's the title?"
"Super Smash Brothers Brawl"
"Super whatsthat?"
"Super Smash Brothers Brawl"
"I got Smackdown vs. Raw, is that what you want?"
"No, I want Super Smash Brothers Brawl."
"Oh, okay, Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Let me check that."
(3 minutes of waiting, hearing the old dude talk to other people, trying to figure out how to work his computer, etc.)
"Sorry, we are out of stock."
"Okay, thanks."
"Is that anything else I can help you with? Didn't you say you wanted to know about something else?"
"No, but thank you."
"Thank you for shopping at Sears."

Then there's the possibility that hasn't happened to me yet:
"WE HAVE THE GAME YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, COME AND GET IT!"

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Just tried a locally-owned grocery store that also has games, that didn't work either. O well, 7 more days.

Raziken

Smash Cadet
I kinda find the whole "Gonna pester the store untill I find a copy" Scene, kinda stupid. Sorry if I offend anyone, but you can wait a freaking week to get the game, on the 9th, like everyone else.

Wal-Mart, Gamestop/EB GAMES, Meijer, K-Mart, and Target all basically use the same Release lock system. All stock is properly taken account for prior to shipment to store, store is electronically sent the updated stock list (Occurs typically a day or two before shipment arrives) allong with an updated product placement guide (I.E. Where it goes on the shelf).

If someone decides they want to sell that game, that game is typically unsellable anyways, and they have to overide the system to get what they want done. The system LOGS all attempted transactions, and if a copy is sold, that person is pretty much gone.

I doubt many people want that done. So just be patient.

As for sears, that place is full of nuts anyways. However, the chances of you getting a copy from them are slightly greater, since that system uses a different method. But you'll have to find someone who knows wtf you're talking about, and isnt to ethical.

Forget Me Not

Smash Apprentice
You most likely will not get a early release from BestBuy. I work in the department for the video games, cds, and movies and we have a release date list in the back where we organize merchanfise. So if we see a box full of the same game I'm sure we're gonna look at the list. Plus, we know if something is new if the SKU's a certain number.
Regardless, I'm gonna try ask my supervisor if I can buy it when we get it in (On Wednesday.) Can't blame a guy for trying.

Nightcloud

Smash Journeyman
yeah..pretty much same story here..i actually went to Toys R us and they have the same system as gamestop,Kmart,Target, etc etc ..as in they cant sell the game early even if they wanted to..i also checked Kmart regardless and they arent getting any new releases until tuesday when they get thier shipment in not sure if it works that way with all Kmarts..but its worth a try :p

Top Bottom