• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chat system for online

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
I apologize in advance if a thread like this has already been made, (which I'm sure it has, but I'm just lazy as hell to search for it).

I'm sure a lot of you have pondered on the thought of having some type of chat system with online matches, because lets be on honest, using tags to communicate is getting old. Of course, there is cons to this idea, spammers, people getting obnoxiously mad, etc. In addition, we would need a filter system for swear words (while most of us are old enough, keep it mind it is a E rated game). Although they're cons, I really think this would help.

Let me know what you guys think, and or redirect me to a previous thread on this topic.

thanks!
-untamed

Earthboy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Teabag
Considering that For Glory is mostly used by people on these boards that want to play quick-fire matches, the lack of messaging isn't a problem. However, a lot of people use Anther's Ladder to quickly communicate within the community, which also allows you to matchmake if you wish.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Considering that For Glory is mostly used by people on these boards that want to play quick-fire matches, the lack of messaging isn't a problem. However, a lot of people use Anther's Ladder to quickly communicate within the community, which also allows you to matchmake if you wish.
Yeah I knew about that already, but I'm talking about casual players who don't know anything about those.

Earthboy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Teabag
Yeah I knew about that already, but I'm talking about casual players who don't know anything about those.
Either way, a casual player would have to search, therefore coming across Smash Ladders. What's the difference?

EDIT: Do you mean a chat system within the game? If so then yes. Yes. No questions asked this should be done, but Nintendo never fulfil online multiplayer needs.

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo is trying really hard to keep a family friendly image... and so they avoid allowing random people to hide behind the internet and say things about... I will stop there because everyone can finish that sentence with something annoying.

With that said... even some limited chat options would be nice. In for fun, I'd like the ability to request they play certain characters (I have had times when me and my doubles partner weren't on our mains and we lose to our opponents mains and wish we could ask for the chance to test ourselves with our A team vs theirs.)

Various ways of saying "Good game!"

Or the ability to alter rules in for fun with anyone... stuff like "Can we play ___ stock with ___ time?" and the other can agree, or negotiate... but that goes beyond communication so I should probably stop this tangent.

This game can really benefit from some sort of chat... even if it is just pre written sentences to choose in with anyone.

But for all the family unfriendly stuff that comes with free expression on internet games... it allows the building of a stronger community than can be found without it. I considered online allies and opponents real freinds many different times in my time gaming... and with the current set up it can't be found within the game. (Though forums like this, and local scenes can make it happen the game needs more help).

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Either way, a casual player would have to search, therefore coming across Smash Ladders. What's the difference?

EDIT: Do you mean a chat system within the game? If so then yes. Yes. No questions asked this should be done, but Nintendo never fulfil online multiplayer needs.
Yes I meant a in game chat system.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Nintendo is trying really hard to keep a family friendly image... and so they avoid allowing random people to hide behind the internet and say things about... I will stop there because everyone can finish that sentence with something annoying.

With that said... even some limited chat options would be nice. In for fun, I'd like the ability to request they play certain characters (I have had times when me and my doubles partner weren't on our mains and we lose to our opponents mains and wish we could ask for the chance to test ourselves with our A team vs theirs.)

Various ways of saying "Good game!"

Or the ability to alter rules in for fun with anyone... stuff like "Can we play ___ stock with ___ time?" and the other can agree, or negotiate... but that goes beyond communication so I should probably stop this tangent.

This game can really benefit from some sort of chat... even if it is just pre written sentences to choose in with anyone.

But for all the family unfriendly stuff that comes with free expression on internet games... it allows the building of a stronger community than can be found without it. I considered online allies and opponents real freinds many different times in my time gaming... and with the current set up it can't be found within the game. (Though forums like this, and local scenes can make it happen the game needs more help).
Well that's what a filter system is for, instant bans if certain words are said, etc.

jdubYOU

Smash Cadet
In other non-Nintendo games, voice chat just ends up being a nuisance. It would have been great if it was implemented with Friend battles I guess, but with anyone it would be totally abused even with the ability to be banned.

Top Bottom