• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard's neutral game

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
I'm currently struggling in the neutral game with Charizard, as none of the suggestions I have heard are working. Fair, nair, and sh flamethrower are all dodged and punished. Any ideas?

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Practice autocanceling nairs into jabs(its a very good frame trap).

Practice power shielding through projectiles.

Practice your footsies. Fade back, roll unpredictably, or zone your opponent in the air. Try to make them attack you and miss.

Use those multijumps to bait out empty attacks and shield grabs. (Pretend like you're going for a landing fair, but jump instead)

Throw out random jabs if you suspect your opponent about to dash grab toward you.

Don't use rock smash or flamethrower too much

Do not throw out a side B unless the opponent is vulnernable.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Instant dash attack out of another action like an empty hop or a jab is really good for getting in on people. It's quick and has a lot of range of you space. You can often punish jumps and landings with it.

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
FSmash, but hold Forward a little longer. Pivot FTilt out of dash is something decent to add to the neutral as well

also didn't find anyone else as rewarding to play as Charizard so I guess i'm back. Reasonably sure FTilt is safe on shield

Last edited:

EvilPinkamina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EvilPinkamina
Just hold a direction and then c-stick down for instant dash attack. Ftilt sweetspot might be good but tail hitbox isn't safe on block. However if against Rosaluma it ohko's luma close to edge.

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
I find down tilt to be a really good spacing tool in the neutral as it is fast and has great range, and it also forces the opponent to the ground. Opponents that try foolish dash attacks straight out of a long dash can be stuffed by down tilt. This move beats so many grounded approaches, but it also works as a ranged tool to beat aerials if the opponent lands in front of you with an aerial. You can force this situation by using fading empty hops to bait an opponent into whiffing in front of you. Flamethrower is an amazing tool in neutral simply because it can completely halt anything the opponent is doing, and it can also be angled up to knock opponents out of short hops.

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
Lately I've been having trouble beating out Bowser Jr's moves - his Side B combos are really wreaking havoc on my.

Top Bottom