• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Charizard in Pokken

Yeagerzard

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gojira1999
Switch FC
SW-3342-8188-7804
Charizard seems to a character that is meant to punish his opponents with powerful hits and devastating throws. The only thing he lacks is the speed and recovery thing to combat much faster combo heavy characters.:006::4charizard:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Charizard's ability to hover gives him mobility that sets him apart from most Power characters, letting him avoid attacks more easily, but he pays for this in attack speed. Striking first is not often a good idea.

That said, he does have great reach on his normals, especially his heavies and the light crouch attack which is surprisingly fast.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think there's a lot of potential to be found in playing mid-range/kinda campy with the chargeable air projectiles. Not many are equipped with anti-airs that either reach that high or last long enough to hit Charizard out of his extended glide (the only ones off the top of my head I can think of is Weavile's Burst Attack and Chandelure's Flame Burst)

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I'm going to play only Charizard when I get Pokken, his playstyle looks fun to me and he's my favorite Pokemon, so it's a win-win.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm going to play only Charizard when I get Pokken, his playstyle looks fun to me and he's my favorite Pokemon, so it's a win-win.
I seem to have a thing for Pokemon capable of controlling themselves in the air. My main's Sceptile who can suspend himself, and I also like Gardevoir who can double jump.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
light crouch attack which is surprisingly fast.
I dunno. From my Labbing, Cr.Light seems pretty meh. St.Light1 at least can be cancelled, so you can do things like St.Light1 xxxx Inferno on shield seems difficult to punish, if not impossible.

EDIT: Just to add something else for discussion, one thing that I've noticed in alot of vids using Zard is that practically none of them are utilizing Glide(Press Shield when airborne) despite it being faster than Zard's ground specs. Is it really that bad, or are those players just overlooking it?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think there's a lot of potential to be found in playing mid-range/kinda campy with the chargeable air projectiles. Not many are equipped with anti-airs that either reach that high or last long enough to hit Charizard out of his extended glide (the only ones off the top of my head I can think of is Weavile's Burst Attack and Chandelure's Flame Burst)
I can confirm that a very patient playstyle works really well with Charizard, taking advantage of his long range (particularly in duel). Refrain from using his approach moves like stomp (air+x) and Fire Punch except as a hard read or punish, and bait stuff with his flying.

Also he can activate his burst attack in mid-air.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Stuff while messing around; Forward A, Back A can be cancelled before the animation of the attack begins by pressing R. That puts you in Flight Mode. I'm sure this will allow for very interesting mix-ups. For example, cancelling the Fire Punch at the end of the Y.Y.Y Poké Combo. Y and X in the air can also lead into combo's. You can also land from flight after cancelling one of those A moves and reset to neutral or bait options.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Stuff while messing around; Forward A, Back A can be cancelled before the animation of the attack begins by pressing R. That puts you in Flight Mode. I'm sure this will allow for very interesting mix-ups. For example, cancelling the Fire Punch at the end of the Y.Y.Y Poké Combo. Y and X in the air can also lead into combo's. You can also land from flight after cancelling one of those A moves and reset to neutral or bait options.
Is it actual flight as in hovering after a jump, or his "Flight Stance" where he's technically grounded and has access to moves like Air Slash?

Also, Charizard's high stance makes him resist grabs.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Flight Stance can be cancelled at any time, and can be entered in either field or duel phase.

It has good anti-air options in Flare Blitz (straight forward and rising)

Top Bottom