• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard - Better than we think and Competitively Viable

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Jab isn't really a viable OoS option because of the shield drop frames.

Doing a jab after the drop shouldn't be any different, though.
I think it's more of a situational ordeal. And as mentioned earlier, perfect shielding helps.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Excellent thread! Personally, I love his Down Air because landing a meteor with that move is pretty easy...

... And because landing it feels AWESOME.

DarkJosh

Smash Cadet
2 things:
1: For his flare, you said that the extra self-damage increases his rage meter?
2: You should add that the down-b makes you not flinch. This is an awesome way to get back on the ground and at the same time getting yout opponent in the air

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
2 things:
1: For his flare, you said that the extra self-damage increases his rage meter?
2: You should add that the down-b makes you not flinch. This is an awesome way to get back on the ground and at the same time getting yout opponent in the air
1. Yes, it goes without saying really. You get more rage the more you're damaged. Goes for all characters
2. We all knew this already. It's called super armor.
I can't tell if you're trolling or not, but if you're not you should really read these threads thoroughly

DarkJosh

Smash Cadet
1. Yes, it goes without saying really. You get more rage the more you're damaged. Goes for all characters
2. We all knew this already. It's called super armor.
I can't tell if you're trolling or not, but if you're not you should really read these threads thoroughly
Whats the rage meter?

KingsHaki

Smash Cadet
NNID
OPKingshaki
3DS FC
3411-1957-0386
Uthrow into FB around 60% on most characters for a surprise early kill...you're welcome ;)

R!otStar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-2994-3529
can u get that to hit on a skilled player? Seems too risky to be viable......it might catch once or twice but In high level play it'll get you killed :/

KingsHaki

Smash Cadet
NNID
OPKingshaki
3DS FC
3411-1957-0386
Yup it's exactly what you said and what I meant by surprise lol. Well even high level players don't always know the match ups or certain tricks so it's something you hit em with once lol. And then they'll start air dodging after up throw so you can chase them with running up smash and stuff for more shenanigans!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Uthrow into FB around 60% on most characters for a surprise early kill...you're welcome ;)
Even if your opponent is asleep and gets hit by it, FB gives you nothing at 60% because that move only starts killing 110%.

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
depends how close you are to the ledge, the uthrow to fb isn't a smart thing to do though unless you're just trying to style.

KingsHaki

Smash Cadet
NNID
OPKingshaki
3DS FC
3411-1957-0386
Warning Received
Yeah you gotta be careful using it near the edge if just not at all. But of course you want to style! Charizard is all about stylin on people! And it will kill depending on stage/character/position. That may mean you have to go YOLO for it closer to the edge but hey that just shows your opponent look I knew this was gonna hit you cuz I'm that good. What is better than up throw into flare blitz as far as style points? Lol I love it.

Oh and also depends on rage of course

Sorry for multiple posting but I also want to reference my post before where I said even if you just use it once it creates a mixup where you can bait them to air dodge and pressure with a fair or something at least even if it's just run up grab and maybe even running upsmash.

Last edited by a moderator:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
There's this little thing called the "Edit" button, you know.

Also why are you Uthrowing for a shaky not guaranteed follow-up (or even a follow-up you can get punished for) when you can go with the more guaranteed positional advantage of Fthrow/Bthrow or just raw power of Dthrow? Don't promote bad habits. :L

KingsHaki

Smash Cadet
NNID
OPKingshaki
3DS FC
3411-1957-0386
There's this little thing called the "Edit" button, you know.

Also why are you Uthrowing for a shaky not guaranteed follow-up (or even a follow-up you can get punished for) when you can go with the more guaranteed positional advantage of Fthrow/Bthrow or just raw power of Dthrow? Don't promote bad habits. :L
It's not like I go for it 24/7 just like once or twice per opponent. And because it's awesome + you can get a lot off of it even if just used once. So no I'm not saying use this all the time or even more than on occasion. Just think of it as a trick/mix-up/style to add in the bag not a fundamental to rely on. If you want to see fundamentals and how I "promote" playing Charizard in general I have a guide in the guides section with a video included.

Last edited:

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
Yeah you gotta be careful using it near the edge if just not at all. But of course you want to style! Charizard is all about stylin on people! And it will kill depending on stage/character/position. That may mean you have to go YOLO for it closer to the edge but hey that just shows your opponent look I knew this was gonna hit you cuz I'm that good. What is better than up throw into flare blitz as far as style points? Lol I love it.
On battlefield and fd variants, if you're 2 steps away from the ledge and you FB you won't self destruct. It's actually pretty useful information to know. I've gotten many a kill with this.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
After two weeks of intensive FG, and playing with friends, i absolutely agree:
Charizard is better than most people currently think.

I'm never in a situation where i've felt like "there is absolutely nothing i can do".
...not saying he is going to be top tier though. Diddy and Sheik were really difficult up-hill battles. (good ones, that is)

KingsHaki

Smash Cadet
NNID
OPKingshaki
3DS FC
3411-1957-0386
After two weeks of intensive FG, and playing with friends, i absolutely agree:
Charizard is better than most people currently think.

I'm never in a situation where i've felt like "there is absolutely nothing i can do".
...not saying he is going to be top tier though. Diddy and Sheik were really difficult up-hill battles. (good ones, that is)
Until you fight a mega man doing short hop pellets =P

Top Bottom