• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters you're surprised to see return/exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booster

Smash Lord
Any characters you guys are surprised to see returning or existing in the game? I have PLENTY, don't judge opinions unless someone says they're surprised to see Mario returning, why don't we make this interesting? Let's rate on a scale from 1-10 on the characters we're surprised to see returning, after all, some characters are more surprising then others right?

Toon Link 8/10
Lucario 10/10 (His generation is HOW old at this point?)
Marth 10/10 (Hasn't been in a game besides a remake in YEARS)
Ike 10/10 (Where's Chrom?)
Rosalina 8/10 (She never and I mean NEVER does anything in Mario Galaxy, but at the same time she's popular)
Little Mac 7/10 (He's not popular in Japan where this game is being created)
Villager 10/10 (Obvious)
Wii Fit Trainer 9,999,999/10 (To be serious, 10/10, and I'm not happy she's here)
Mii Fighter 6/10 (Sakurai said awhile back Miis don't fight, a pleasant surprise but weird)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Recency doesn't matter, what matters is being iconic. Marth is iconic and so is Ike, and both are very relevant as they are the most recurring main Lords in the Fire Emblem series.

Doesn't matter Lucario's generation is old, he's still extremely relevant and iconic in the recent Pokemon games.

Naturally I'm surprised about Wii Fit Trainer and Toon Link, both a 10.
8/10 for Rosalina and Villager, and 6/10 for Mii Fighter.
None of the other characters surprised me too much.
Well, Greninja did, but I don't know anything about Pokemon and I figured we'd probably get a Pokemon from X/Y anyway, so I won't count him.

Wasn't surprised at all at Ike, and I was actually laughing when people kept claiming he'd get cut.

andimidna

Smash Master
I was only surprised by Toon Link, Wii Fit Trainer, and Greninja.
I didn't think Miis were shoo-ins like most did, but I knew they were still pretty likely. Sucks that they made it but I'm not surprised. I expected and wanted every other character confirmed. (Yes, even Rosalina, Lucario, etc.)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I was only surprised by Toon Link, Wii Fit Trainer, and Greninja.
I didn't think Miis were shoo-ins like most did, but I knew they were still pretty likely. Sucks that they made it but I'm not surprised. I expected and wanted every other character confirmed. (Yes, even Rosalina, Lucario, etc.)
I didn't expect Rosalina, but she's definitely my preferred Mario choice regardless.

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
Villager was surprised me, I didn't him/her to appear in the game because I couldn't think of a moveset. But Sakurai and his (team) are creative, they always pull through.
Same reason for Wii Fit Trainer.
Rosalina seemed to be quite a popular character after her first appearance in Mario Galaxy, and I think Sakurai made the right choice of using her popularity. So I am not as surprised for her.
Greninja was someone I didn't expect, and at first I wasn't happy with it, but I'm interested after getting wooped online when playing Pokemon X/Y.
Toon Link didn't surprise me, but his moveset is somewhat still similar or the same as Link.
Little Mac was hella surprising.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I didn't expect Lucario and Toon Link to be back like many others, but I'm happy they are in now.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
I was obviously surprised at the Wii Fit Trainer's inclusion, but I liked that surpise. I was also surpised by Rosalina's inclusion even though I wanted her to be included, and even though I was aware of her increasing popularity and requests for her inclusion from fellow fans. Lastly, I was surprised they put in Greninja. I'll admit I was initially a bit disappointed when I saw him in the trailer because I didn't see him as relevant or significant enough. He's definitely the coolest-looking starter in X and Y, as well as the most highly-selected one in that game, and Ash has a Froakie in the anime, but I was a bit let down that a "slot" was given to him. I feel a bit better now that I've seen how he plays.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Wii Fit
Rosalina
Lucario
Mii (when I accepted the fact that they were going to be put in)
Chorus Men (when they get in)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'll go one better and do it by generation:

Smash 64
  • Ness. Who? Earthbound wouldn't arrive in the UK for another 14 years yet.
  • Captain Falcon. Still a really weird choice now I think about it. Less obscure than Ness, but didn't see it coming.
  • Jigglypuff. Obscure? No. This was the height of her popularity. She just still paled in comparison as a choice to Meowth, Mewtwo, Charizard and even Blastoise and Eevee(neither of which had the anime to support them) in popularity.
Melee
  • Sheik. One off character. Figured mostly added so Zelda had some more fighting abilities to fall back on.
  • Ice Climbers. Although I'd played their game I wouldn't have considered them once.
  • Mr. Game and Watch. Retro characters had not yet been a thing as such, and G+W was relatively obscure compared to the likes of Balloon Fighter, Duck Hunt Dog or Pit.
  • Marth. No Western exposure at this point for Fire Emblem.
  • Roy. Didn't exist prior to Melee + the above point.
  • Falco. But only because I was expecting Wolf instead.
  • Dr. Mario. Didn't get the point of including him. There were better Mario characters available, even back then.
Brawl
  • Zero Suit Samus. Honestly didn't get the point.
  • Sheik returning. This one off character gets back in despite the Zelda crew being based off the Twilight Princess games where Sheik didn't appear.
  • Solid Snake. First 3rd party. Wouldn't associate as even vaguely Nintendo.
  • R.O.B. Wasn't he deconfirmed with the screenshot of him being enemies? Sucker Punch'd.
  • Lucas. Ness was cut?!? For a character we'll never get the game of?
  • Ness returns. Mother gets two characters?!?
  • Pokemon Trainer. Genius idea on paper, never saw it coming. Shame it didn't work so well in practice.
  • Lucario. Random Pokemon at the time was random. Even taking the movie into consideration.
  • Jigglypuff returns. Despite being irrelevant at this point, Puff made it back. At the expense of the more popular Mewtwo.
Smash 4 Wii U/3DS
  • Wii Fit Trainer. Like everyone else on the planet.
  • Rosalina before Bowser Jr. or Toad. In hindsight it makes more sense, but damn that one knocked me for six.
  • Greninja. Like everyone else on the planet.
  • Sheik returns. AGAIN. SOLO. Whilst this time I was expecting it, I wasn't expecting solo Sheik since the only reason they were considered in the first place was because they WERE Zelda. Would of preferred Impa. Honest.
  • Zero Suit Samus returns. SOLO.
  • Ike returns. Considered highly likely to get the chop. Glad he didn't.
  • Toon Link returns. Still a clone. Even though he has tons of moveset options available.
  • Lucario returns. Sort of surprised. He had the Mega form on his side but figured it might not be a deal breaker.
  • Should they appear as the leak suggests; Chorus Men. Expected a Rhythm Heaven rep of some sort but not before Golden Sun and wasn't banking on the Chorus Men/Kids.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I wasn't remotely suprised to see Ike back. I was always adamant that comparing his situation to Roy's was wrong. They were on totally different levels in terms of what they brought to SSB. I also never bought in to the imaginary two-character limit for Fire Emblem reps. I'm sure Chrom will make it in, but it never needed to be at the expense of Ike.

I was surprised in a couple of ways by Villager. I remembered Sakurai's comments about an Animal Crossing fighter during Brawl's development, but AC had become such a big deal since then that I suspected he might change his mind. I was surprised they went for Villager instead of an established character, since at the time I had it in my head that they wouldn't go for a character with no defined appearance.

I was surprised to see Toon Link back as I thought he would have been low priority following Brawl, but thinking about it he is the most commonly used LoZ Link design. It's not exactly as if he doesn't deserve to be there, at least from a character perspective.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I would be pleasantly surprised to see Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur come back.

As for newcomers, well, there's Krystal, Toad, K. Rool, a Fire Emblem rep who isn't Chrom...basically everyone who isn't included in the Gematsu leak. Yes, I'm pessimistic about what's going to happen.

D

Deleted member

I was pleasantly surprised about Greninja and Wii Fit Trainer. I was surprised at how interesting Mac and Rosalina are. I was surprised at how unorthodox Pac-man's playstyle appears, and that makes me really want to play him. I was very pleasantly surprised by Toon Link and Ike's return. I actually liked Toon Link in Brawl, and my brother and friend play Ike, so it was nice seeing him back.

I will be very very pleasantly surprised to see Lucas and/or Snake return. Less so for Lucas, because I am in denial expect his return.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The only characters who really surprised me where Greninja, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer.

The rest where fairly expected and I do try to keep an open mind when it comes to most veterans and certain newcomers.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Any characters you guys are surprised to see returning or existing in the game? I have PLENTY, don't judge opinions unless someone says they're surprised to see Mario returning, why don't we make this interesting? Let's rate on a scale from 1-10 on the characters we're surprised to see returning, after all, some characters are more surprising then others right?

Toon Link 8/10
Lucario 10/10 (His generation is HOW old at this point?)
Marth 10/10 (Hasn't been in a game besides a remake in YEARS)
Ike 10/10 (Where's Chrom?)
Rosalina 8/10 (She never and I mean NEVER does anything in Mario Galaxy, but at the same time she's popular)
Little Mac 7/10 (He's not popular in Japan where this game is being created)
Villager 10/10 (Obvious)
Wii Fit Trainer 9,999,999/10 (To be serious, 10/10, and I'm not happy she's here)
Mii Fighter 6/10 (Sakurai said awhile back Miis don't fight, a pleasant surprise but weird)
Marth and Ike are essentially the mascots of Fire Emblem. Sakurai did say he wanted both versions of Link to be in every game. Lucario is essentially the second mascot of Pokemon now.

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
I was surprised by:

Confirmed Veterans:

Toon Link
Lucario
Ike
Charizard (Solo)

Newcomers:

Wii Fit Trainer
Greninja

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Greninja was the only surprise for me. I didn't think we were getting a gen 6 character.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Wii Fit Trainer was a surprise to nearly everyone, myself included.

Rosalina was also kind of surprising to me. I didn't really believe there was much that she could do as a fighter in Smash up until she was actually revealed.

Though I thought he had a snowball's chance in hell, I still fully supported Greninja, and I'm more than glad to have been wrong about him.

I wasn't really surprised by any particular veterans coming back though, not even Toon Link.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Rosalina, Greninja and Toon Link being in Smash 4 surprised me.

I never really assumed that Rosalina would be a playable character whilst Toad and Bowser Jr. has yet to be playable until she was revealed.

I assumed that there would be no newcomer from Pokemon as Mewtwo was the character that was the "hot" Pokemon and that every veteran could be used to showcase the newest game sufficiently.

Toon Link, being a clone character meant that I was surprised to see him back. Not that I mind.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I'm really surprised that they made an AT for color TV-game 15.
Also, when I first saw WFT I presumed it was a joke. Later I watched the developer direct and my mind exploded.

SeatreasureReturned

Smash Apprentice
Wii Fit trainer was surprising, but to be perfectly honest when the Greninja trailer showed up, I had no idea who Greninja was.

I wasn't really expecting any cuts, so when Toon Link, Ike, and Lucario showed up, I wasn't surprised, just kind of hyped because it was looking more and more like there wouldn't be any cuts. No one else was too shocking.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
2 words: Ike, Olimar.
Ike did not feel like a proper Fire Emblem representative. I thought Roy would return because of how cool his move set and his relevance up to that point. I saw Ike and I had to look up who he was. I loved Pikmin 2, but I never thought of Olimar as a candidate. When I saw him, I was all "Wha?"
Honorable Mention: Greninja > Mewtwo. No explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom