• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters that are easy on the hands

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
I started doing gymnastics and my hands kill, but I still want to play pm; I play puff in melee now but puff isn't good in pm. What characters are good/decent and are easier on the hands?

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Just play whoever. No character -has- to be played technically. Figure out how to make things work the way you want them to with the character you want to play.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
GL playing fox not technically..
Fox is good for things other than multishines, waveshines and endless SHFFLs and SHDLs. He has an amazing DD, amazing recovery, great moves all around. Perfectly good character even without his shine.

xquqx

Smash Apprentice
except everything he has other than shine is still not "easy on the hands"
Take away the multishining and it's not really harder than any other given character. Whether or not it's "easy on the hands" is a different thing, but if it's not than you really can't say any other character is either.

hi im dennis

Smash Apprentice
Bowser has slow moves, and a good bit of super armor, you don't need to move your hands that fast to play him, so I'd try him. Don't get me wrong, Bowser is a really good character and can be played a high level, but overall, he isn't that hard or APM intensive.

Tobb99

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to list characters that are NOT "good for your hands" since I think they're fewer than those who are "good for your hands".

Fox
Falco
Wolf
Ness
Lucas
Yoshi (double Jump shenanigans requires lots of button presses)
Lucario
Samus (I find it difficult to missile spam with platforms, tight timing as well as being a core tech for Samus) but otherwise she doesn't require that much button presses/difficult executions.
Mewtwo (If you want to play optimally I think you should have R or L to jump or claw, heard Emukiller said that, and different control schemes can be messy imo)
Squirtle (some moves such as sling jumping, Tacus and hydroplaning requires good timing and difficult inputs)

I decided to list some characters that requires little or medium button presses, not that bad for your hands, anyways:

All characters that relies on spacing/zooning or camping such as:

Marth, Roy, Ike
Ivysaur
Wario
Jiggs
G&W
Link, Toon Link

Combo characters that do not requires lots of button presses such as:

Captain Falcon (some movement techs such as Hax dash requires precise execution)
ZSS
Kirby
Mario, Luigi
Meta Knight
Pit
Pikachu (Quick Attack Cancel might be tough but idk)

Heavy Hit Characters (however these might be tough playing at higher level and requires more from your hands with all the wavelands and other stuff):

Bowser
Ganondorf
Dedede

Tricky Characters, even though these might not rely on lots of button presses and tight execution, you might need to learn some character unique stuff in order to play these characters well:

Snake (Professor Pro himself said that he like the contrast between his Fox and his Snake, and that Snake was more of a character which you use his tricks and setups to win rather than a lot of button-pressing). Still some techs requires good timing and execution such as Dacus, B-reversals, Footstools.
Olimar
Ice Climbers (requires good timing for desyncs however, not necessarily lots of button presses)
Zelda

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Bowser is much harder on my hands than most other characters. Ivysaur and Wario both borrow quite a bit from Puff's skillset and are fairly easy on the hands. Wario is almost certainly the stronger character between those two.

Mentor

Smash Cadet
It should be mentioned that the usage of your hands also slightly depends on your playstyle. Generally, more aggressive playstyles and use more pressure oriented inputs (ie more button mashing).

From a Zelda perspective, Zelda can be played w/ little to no tech (see Atlas) and still do pretty well. At the same time, you could play a far more technical Zelda w/ tele-cancelled edge cancels/shield drops and precise & fast control stick movements.

Don't forget w/ Zelda you have the sheik option which means u can go full Borp.

Tobb99

Smash Apprentice
Y, it's worth mentioning that the higher up, in terms of skill level, the more technical it gets as well. Because you want to be able to use all the tricks and techs you got with the character and not only the basics. I main ROB and I'd say he's not that technical and pretty easy to play, punish game is easy, you got options in neutral, his recovery is good. But more and more I've started using more techs such as Dacus, gyro throw techs such as glide toss AGT and stuff, also boost waveland and more precise boosts, shield drop as well as improving my movement with dash-dance and wave-dash. All these can be difficult to do, and to use properly, and if you got them down well can make your ROB much better and give better results. So it's also a difference when it comes to optimizing the character, in comparison to learning and using the fundamentals.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Is Sonic a character that requires a lot of button presses like Fox? I do have that same problem too for my hands, but nowhere near the level of seeing a doctor. My hands are fine, but I can't perform imputs that fast since I'm not a player who reacts fast enough...I kinda do have a slow reaction time...

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
its depends on your play style with sonic, spin to win has significantly more button inputs versus a non spin to win sonic, but it can be harder to win if you don't spin

Kulty

Smash Ace
its depends on your play style with sonic, spin to win has significantly more button inputs versus a non spin to win sonic, but it can be harder to win if you don't spin
I'm just assuming when you want to play Sonic at its fullest potential (using Somersault and Spin Charge and all that)...I was wondering on how technical he can be if you utilize him as its fullest... I can imagine it can be as hard as Fox in terms of imputs and button execution right?

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
I'm just assuming when you want to play Sonic at its fullest potential (using Somersault and Spin Charge and all that)...I was wondering on how technical he can be if you utilize him as its fullest... I can imagine it can be as hard as Fox in terms of imputs and button execution right?
I wouldn't say as hard as fox but fully utilizing him he can be close

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
He's in the same tier of APM. Spinning is great but it's not your ticket to winning neutral, nor is it the main part of his punish game (yet...). Future spin2win comboes are nuts. Not a good investment as a character if you're not prepared to play quickly. Sonic has to do a lot of moving to adjust himself precisely to his opponent's position so he can get a hit with his small hitboxes. I mean, he's basically throwing his hurtbox at the opponent à la Pikachu. He's also got to take advantage of tight windows to continue comboes, so if you're not prepared to react quickly then accept the comboes aren't going to be optimal.

BTW I second Wario and Ivysaur (Ivy less so for sure). Mario is good, Sheik is good, Marth is good. Kirby and Pit are alright as well.

Kulty

Smash Ace
He's in the same tier of APM. Spinning is great but it's not your ticket to winning neutral, nor is it the main part of his punish game (yet...). Future spin2win comboes are nuts. Not a good investment as a character if you're not prepared to play quickly. Sonic has to do a lot of moving to adjust himself precisely to his opponent's position so he can get a hit with his small hitboxes. I mean, he's basically throwing his hurtbox at the opponent à la Pikachu. He's also got to take advantage of tight windows to continue comboes, so if you're not prepared to react quickly then accept the comboes aren't going to be optimal.

BTW I second Wario and Ivysaur (Ivy less so for sure). Mario is good, Sheik is good, Marth is good. Kirby and Pit are alright as well.
By APM, do you mean that the button execution for Sonic can be as the same level as Fox?

Arcalyth

GLS | root
If you're not playing your character at max speed, you're not even playing the same game as top players. If you're playing more for fun and less to win, then just play for fun with whoever you want. If you're playing to win, then speed and technique are mandatory, even with Zelda. You could try hand stretches and exercises along with tech skill practice to speed up with less pain.

D

Deleted member

I have hand issues as well, and yeah Zelda is definitely easier on the hands compared to let's say, Captain Falcon (which was destroying my hands playing him).

However, playing as Zelda requires a fundamental understanding of mindgames and dealing with pressure of faster characters with traps and defense to set up into your offense and baiting.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I think the characters that require high APM gameplay and heavy button execution in PM are::wolf::sonic::popo:(well desyncing and all that is already enough to make him technical):fox::lucario::peach::samus2::falco::ness2::yoshi2::lucas::mewtwopm:. I don't know if I miss anyone but I think that's pretty much what I can think on top of my head...

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Puff is fine in PM and there's no such thing as a character that's actually hard on your hands and most people that complain about hand pain either have some other problem or they're just big babies crying because they lost a few times. Easing "hand pain" (lol) is literally as easy as not mashing your controller too hard. Hold your controller, not crush it.

Last edited:

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Lol **** post ^.

Hand pain is real when you hit a certain APM. If you ever get there, you'd realize it :^)

It can be caused by gripping the controller too hard, by not stretching, playing for too long, being undernourished, or having too many APM (actions per minute), etc. Normally a combination of multiple conditions I listed above.

Top Bottom