• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters people are sleeping on?

WiiDude83

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiDude83
So Smash 4 has been out for a few months, we've had a patch, an Apex, and many forums posts. There are characters many people who know are good, but are there characters people are sleeping on?
I can think of a few for me personally
1. Toon Link
I'm honestly surprised to see my main being slept on like this considering he did pretty well in Brawl's competitive life. Sure he lost the pogo dair and he can't double bair now, But he gained a TON of new kill moves and combos to make up for it. First off, kill moves. Back throw (his most reliable kill) Uair, Fair, Bair can be used as a stage spike, and Dair if you feel confident by the edge. Not to mention any of his smashes can do the job. Also his projectile game I would say is the best in the game as he's great as just getting damage from anyway and has options in case people get it, such as his up B which comes out very fast and is great to punish rollers. His down smash serves a similar roll and It even has a hidden Hitbox that can kill the opponent right away by sending them off stage with insane momentum. (i think the hitbox is around the hilt of the blade). Not to mention his grab is no where near as slow as older games.

2.Palutena
While she might not have her customs in competitive play at the moment, that's not to say she's useless. She has some of the best aerials out there and pretty all of them are great, besides her Dair. She has some really strong attacks suck as her up air, up smash, bair, and dash attack. speaking of which, bair and dash attack are invincible. and her reflect is great against characters like pacman, duck hunt, megaman, and samus. I think she's a very unexplored character and we could see her being used more in the upcoming months.

3. Ganondorf
This is probably the most iffy one on here as Ganon...He's only good for certain match ups. There are certain matches Ganon will just flat out not win, but there are others where he can be a threat. Especially since ganondorf's knock back and power is insane. His up smash can cancel out into anything, his up air is just as great as falcons, up tilt is actually a legit move now and can be devastating as an edge guard covering many options, and the warlock super armor is not to be messed with. The big thing is, if you respect him and his moves, he's not a problem. But if you think you can walk all over him, that's when he will mess you up!

So who are some characters you think are getting slept on and why do you think they should be used more often?

Beastmegs

Smash Cadet
NNID
Beastmegs
3DS FC
3325-1862-3482
i'm ver shocked that Villager isn't being played that much at all he is a true terror i have two friends that play him
and i always have a difficult time fighting against them and those turniups man they have such good priority
a custom moves villager is also a mecence i never wanna fight one of those again

Super Smash Fanatic

Smash Cadet
NNID
jacg31
3DS FC
0705-3237-7336
I agree with your choices for the most part but i feel like Ganon actually gets a lot of play online while i almost never see characters like Robin and Wii Fit get no play

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I'm shocked people aren't going for more ROB. Sure he's slow for someone that light, but he's not that slow and can have some of the finest aerials in the game as well as the ability to deliver them from flight.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
ROB and Wario are both B tier in my opinion

And I think Dedede doesn't get enough love either

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
If we exclude the Mii Fighters:

Zelda: Seen her like 2 times over the last month in For Glory, and almost never see her in Streams.
Game & Watch: Saw him once in a Stream (and the player using him rocked), but otherwise same as Zelda.
Pit: Much to my suprise, i haven't seen many Pits. Actually, Dark Pit seems to be the more popular choice (because, you know, "dark" & "edgy" = "cooler")

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Shulk and Mega Man. These two surprise me considering how extremely demanded and requested they were to get in the game.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Jigglypuff, she's already sleeping.

I think that people are really sleeping on Falco. He still has a lot of solid tools in this game, such as lazors, bair, fair, and jab.

chuckthesmashlover

Smash Journeyman
I think Villager and Ganondorf are the most underrated characters in the game. Both are really good, but nobody uses them.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I think Wii Fit Trainer, Bowser Jr., and Mega Man all have some sort of untapped potential that people aren't looking for.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Okay, so I'm biased. But I really think Robin is getting passed up on by almost everyone. There seems to be this mentality that a character has to be fast to be good, and once Robin turned out to be very much not a fragile speedster and with a humongous learning curve, nearly everyone flat out abandoned him. I've even seen people act like he's low tier, for Naga's sake!

Granted, with the state the metagame's in, I could see how those people would jump to conclusions. Those same fragile speedsters are among Robin's worst matchups, and they're really popular right now. The majority of tournaments--Apex included--have used smaller stagelists that have been based around stages Robin's bad matchups are good on, and banned some other potentially viable stages that include two of Robin's better ones.

It's frustrating, in a way, seeing a character you like be held back less by their own potential and more by a metagame that cares more about a character type they are not.

adamlon1

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3583-0365-0217
MURRF is quite slept on to be honest, Just because a character got nerfed does not mean you should sleep on them especially Marth as he still has amazing spacing and a fun fact with rage marth can kill you at 37% so you should definitely be careful around him

Goolloom

Smash Apprentice
I'd say people are sleeping on characters that they never see like :4olimar:,:4dk:,:4wiifit: and :4zelda:
Some (Including myself) are also sleeping on :4littlemac: thinking the player is bad. Then i get destroyed because they are actually good

Blue24

Smash Cadet
I think Wii Fit Trainer, Bowser Jr., and Mega Man all have some sort of untapped potential that people aren't looking for.
Quite a few people play him, but no where near other chars. His learning curve is high as he demands precision. But his potential is definitly being tapped.

This one placed in the top 16 at Apex and found a good amount of Megman's tricks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H1AveMj6xE

and here is one of my favs, even though he lost, I believe he beats M2K later and ends up taking 4th in the tourney: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjZVP9-ruOg

Last edited:

Skyitzer

Smash Rookie
I feel that people sleep on Pit in favor over Dark Pit (who doesn't get a lot of play either from what I've seen other than Nairo and who I feel is the worse of the two.), his aerials have cover a decent space, most notably his Nair, and are reliable kill moves, his arrows are a good edge-guarding tool. and the upper dash arm can be used to surprise your opponent providing you hit properly,
Mid to High tier at the least in my opinion.

Top Bottom