• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Updates as DLC

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
A while back I had this idea that emerged in my head, and ever since I can't get it out. I think we all know that Smash Ultimate will likely have DLC. Everyone is already getting their hopes up for what characters could become playable through DLC packs. However, I have a different idea on how DLC could be handled, if it were to appear in the game. Instead of adding new character, they could update the preexisting roster. There is various ways they could improve the epic roster the game already has. For one, they could update some of the characters movesets that are outdated. Yes, Luigi was a Mario clone when the original Super Smash Bros came out on the N64, but he has since evolved into his own character. While his moveset has been differentiated from Mario's, I feel all of his moves should use elements from Luigi's Mansion, because that series of games is really unique and summarized who Luigi has become. Link and Mario both got subtle changes in Smash Ultimate, with Link's changes being more noticeable than Mario's. The plumber simply has Cappy on his head, but it is mostly an aesthetic. Link does shoot two arrows now and has remote bombs, but he could still pull a lot more from Breath of the Wild. Another thing they could do is give some of the semi-clones more distinct movesets. A lot of the semis work in Melee because development time was short, but by now these characters really should be more distinguished. The main two I can think of are Young Link and Ganondorf. Young Link's moveset could show off the masks of Majoras Mask, while Ganondorf's moveset could... ya know... actually resemble what he would fight like? And Toon Link could also have a more Wind Waker based moveset. One final way they could improve the roster through DLC is by de-echoing some of the echoes. Echoes are great for getting more characters into the base game, but once the game is out, it would be nice to see some of the more... unique echoes get original movesets. Dark Samus could easily have her own moves, as could Dark Pit. So, you've heard some of my ideas. Do you have any? Would you be in favor of seeing this through DLC? I'm not saying it would replace new characters, but could just be another way to perfect the roster.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Okay, first of all, you need to start using your Enter button and make paragraphs. It's hard on the eyes to read through a literal wall of text like this.

Second of all, ignoring all the character-specific changes you mentioned for now, I'm sure you mean character updates through patches? Because DLC usually refers to paid downloadable content, and if you lock these moveset changes behind a paywall, you're going to have inconsistencies online, unless they decide to give the updated characters a seperate roster slot or something. They could have a toggle perhaps (like, selecting Young Link, and choose 'Moveset 1' or 'Moveset 2' or something like that), then I could see it working, because outright replacing the old moveset will not work as you'll be locking out the people who didn't purchase the DLC from even playing online (unless the game still keeps the old movesets in its files for when you play against somebody who uses that character but hasn't purchased the updated moveset).

Either way, I doubt this is how they're going to handle DLC anyway, in any case. Besides, I think people might start to complain that they enjoyed the playstyle of the old character, and when a character gets patched this way, you'll have no way of playing this particular version of the character anymore (unless you delete the patch somehow or play on a different Switch that doesn't have the patch and prevent that one from being patched). When a character is updated in the next game, you'll at least be able to reliably go back to the previous game and enjoy the previous version of the character to your heart's content.

But I dunno, maybe people would be more fine with it than I think. I've been wrong before.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Besides, I think people might start to complain that they enjoyed the playstyle of the old character
This. This is exactly why Sakurai adamantly despises the very idea of completely overhauling any character's moveset. It's why Samus doesn't shoot with her neutrals like Mega Man. It's why Ganondorf still apes Captain Falcon's moves. It's why Yoshi and Jigglypuff are stuck with worthless Up+B moves. If a character's moves were to be completely changed into something completely different, people who played as that character would be alienated and outraged.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Sounds good to me. Just make the updated movesets optional, and conservatives can't complain.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So, by adding essentially new characters, they are going to trash every balancing act before the game is released and add more characters that needs balancing but doesn't give people new characters?

Not happening.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
This sounds like a bad idea but I appreciate that you're thinking outside the box.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'd love it.

But from a realistic standpoint, no, it's not going to happen.

Xigger

Smash Lord
The flaw with this idea is the assumption that characters will be perfected with more original moves. While many replies are pointing out that old movesets are loved just as much as new ones, (Ganondorf's sword vs. kicks, moving as WarioMan or Giga Bowser) I'm going to point out that original movesets require gameplay balance and increased dev time, where shared moves don't have that problem. That's what makes Echoes so great.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
So, by adding essentially new characters, they are going to trash every balancing act before the game is released and add more characters that needs balancing but doesn't give people new characters?

Not happening.
... Did you read my post? I'm not sure what your reasoning is here.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Id really like to see some characters get dlc packs giving them alternate movesets (especially ganondorf and the links). But i wouldnt want that to replace new dlc characters.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
This. This is exactly why Sakurai adamantly despises the very idea of completely overhauling any character's moveset.
It's less work and a convenient excuse tbh.

RIP Ganondorf

However, he has said HE enjoys using Ganondorf so...

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
This. This is exactly why Sakurai adamantly despises the very idea of completely overhauling any character's moveset. It's why Samus doesn't shoot with her neutrals like Mega Man. It's why Ganondorf still apes Captain Falcon's moves. It's why Yoshi and Jigglypuff are stuck with worthless Up+B moves. If a character's moves were to be completely changed into something completely different, people who played as that character would be alienated and outraged.
But Sakurai has gone and changed some characters' moves... ganons been slowly decloned (though still not enough), samus charges her neutral b in air now instead of automatically shooting it, pits moveset was changed... there are many instances where movesets have been changed.

And im not sure what OP is suggesting exactly, but i definitely dont think REPLACING movesets would be the way to go.. Adding alternate movesets is the answer.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
But Sakurai has gone and changed some characters' moves... ganons been slowly decloned (though still not enough), samus charges her neutral b in air now instead of automatically shooting it, pits moveset was changed... there are many instances where movesets have been changed.

And im not sure what OP is suggesting exactly, but i definitely dont think REPLACING movesets would be the way to go.. Adding alternate movesets is the answer.
I said "completely overhauling", as in replacing a moveset with something completely different, as OP is suggesting. Sakurai has no problem with replacing individual moves to give a character a bit of individuality (such as Mario losing Mario Tornado as his down special and gaining FLUDD instead, or Ganondorf losing Gerudo Dragon for Flame Choke).

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I said "completely overhauling", as in replacing a moveset with something completely different, as OP is suggesting. Sakurai has no problem with replacing individual moves to give a character a bit of individuality (such as Mario losing Mario Tornado as his down special and gaining FLUDD instead, or Ganondorf losing Gerudo Dragon for Flame Choke).
Well replacing marios down B with fludd was a criminal offence. If you're gona give mario fludd, make a new moveset that completely uses fludd (im not suggesting replace marios original moveset, im still of the opinion of allowing for alternate movesets). Im 100% for overhauling as many movesets as possible if it involves alternate movesets - not replacement of movesets.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I think that if it comes to balancing in general, it would probably come in a free update rather than DLC, but that’s just me.

Top Bottom