• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character switching idea

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
I came up with the idea of an option to set a character for each stock.

An example would be setting the first 2 stocks as Sonic, the third as Mario, and the last one as Link.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to respawn as a different character.

TheFoolishPhilosopher

Smash Cadet
I would like this solely because we could have things like 4v4 matches where you have to be proficient in four characters (and the matchups they play) to win. I've been wanting this for a while. Maybe they could use some variation of the code they use for things like Tabuu, where you have icons of the characters on the left side of the screen, rather than a "stock" setting.

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
and have the option to quickly choose which character will come out before the respawn by holding on a certain taunt button.

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
If it's not possible, then I guess we'll just have to cross our fingers when Sakurai updates the Dojo

JOE!

Smash Hero
he was taken out because switching was deemed "dumb" to summarize it.

Even though Sheik/Zelda still do it...

And not sure if Zamus/Samus will either... but still

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
If I recall correctly, the SSE and Event Match style character spawning is only supported in "single player", and cannot be implemented in Vs. mode. It probably has something with how the game stores the list of characters that need to switch in, and how the code treats each player's stock loss in single player.

Vashimus

Smash Master
You want my honest opinion? No. It wasn't. Difference is coders were already tinkering around with everything-cancel codes years ago. Besides, it's too late now to call it off after giving the announcement.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
Turbo mode had a lot of it's coding figured out already, while reworking the entire character selection screen, pulling multiple hard-coded features from singleplayer to multiplayer, and venturing out to a completely new brand of brawl hacking that they are not even sure is physically possible WHILE working on everything they are already doing is bound to take at least a few more years.

It's a really cool concept, but I believe someone would be better off remaking the entire game for the exact purpose of adding the feature than trying to mold a very finicky piece of commercial software into doing our bidding.

Top Bottom