• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Select Portrait help?

Piwah

Smash Rookie
Hey, first post, long time lurker.

Me and a buddy finally got around to modding our Project M SD Card. We made a few custom songs of our own, and installed some custom costumes with relative ease. I noticed later on that the fantastic Phantom Ganon skin I downloaded had some CSPs with it, so I set to install them. I was able to do the after-battle portrait just fine, but I have no clue how to get a CSS portrait. I looked in common5.pac, and there's no sc_selcharacter. The only files are sc_selmap_en, MiscData[2], and MiscData[3].

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or find some kind of solution?

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
It didn't? That doesn't make any sense. Are you sure you're opening it in the newer version, and not just clicking on the file itself? (since file type associations would mean it would continue to use the older version)

The only other explanation I can think of is that the file has been corrupted somehow, in which case you'd need to download it again.

Piwah

Smash Rookie
So I can finally edit portraits, but it crashes the game when I replace them. Any other ideas?

Piwah

Smash Rookie
I go open common5, go into sc_selcharacter_en, find the file i wanna replace, (in this case the black Melee-styled Ganon CSP), right-click on it, hit replace, and put in the Phantom Ganon CSP.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
That sounds right. Just to be clear, you didn't change the image format when putting it in? The format should be CMPR, the dimensions 128x160, and the data size about 10,304 B. Any bigger. and it may go over the file size limit.

Piwah

Smash Rookie
It meets all the criteria. It's not just for that specific costume, its happened for a Roy costume and a Samus costume. Not only does it crash Brawl, but when I try to go back to sc_selcharacter_en, it crashes BrawlBox.

Piwah

Smash Rookie
I've made a discovery. When I replace the CSP, the filesize of common5 goes down a whole 1000 kbs. Perhaps the whole selcharacter directory is getting deleted somehow?

Top Bottom