• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rivalry Predictions

Genericmartini

Smash Cadet
Honestly the best kind of rivalries are the ones that aren't the obvious ones

Megaman Vs. Samus - Two hand canon type characters with varying degrees of power usage

Toon Link Vs. Snake - In some of the LoZ games sneaking is implemented in certain parts and majority of these parts involve a younger Link rather than a older

Takamaru Vs. Little Mac - East(Samurai and such) Vs. West(Rocky Balboa type Boxer)

Lucas Vs. Marth - Battle of the Japan only RPGs

Ganondolf Vs. Wario - Serious Villain who is probably the biggest threat in the nintendo universe vs. the goofiest anti-hero and probably least threatening villain in nintendo history

Bowser Vs. Ike - Both implement Fire and portray the Evil Monster Vs. The Noble Knight type deal

Falco Vs. Goroh Arguably the second banana to the protagonist of the series and sometimes the rival(a rivalry doesn't have to be good vs. evil) to them

Fox Vs. Solid Snake - Snake has some history with Foxes(Foxhound) and Snake can use weapons(but eh STEALTH) like Fox

Captain Falcon Vs. Fox - Both use vehicles and appeared in the original Smash Bros. and both are the original of the several cloned characters(Ganondolf and Falco)

Luigi Vs. Falco/Diddy - WHO IS THE TRUE KING OF THE SECOND BANANAS

Yoshi Vs. Pikachu - Both are animals used by the hero of the series, and in Pokemon Lightening has a weaknesses to ground type Pokemon which Yoshi uses mostly ground type fighting. (yeah it's a bit of a stretch but at least it's something unique)

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
most characters can be pantomimed. characters like Mario or Link have never been known to talk. however plenty of emotion has been demonstrated through their body language and facial expressions.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Honestly the best kind of rivalries are the ones that aren't the obvious ones
ACCEPTION!

Fox Mc. Cloud Vs. Donkey Kong: Fox mistakes DK for one of Andross's henchmonkeys.

Zero-Suit Samus Vs. Peach: Mario somehow saves Samus and she rewards him with a kiss on the nose. Unfortunately, Peach happens to see that and she turns rageful jealous.

Goroh Vs. Takamaru: Samurai Showdown.

Yoshi Vs. Kirby: Kirby finds an apple and is going to inhale it, but Yoshi reaches it first by his extensible tongue. Kirby is not amused.

King Krok Rool Vs. Bowser: Godzilla versus Gamera.

Olimar Vs. King Dedede: Who is leading the best army?

Sonic Vs. Bowser: Quick spikes versus heavy spikes.

Pokemon Trainer Vs. Bowser: PT mistakes Bowser for a Blastoise and try to capture him by throwing him a pokeball. Bowser is not amused.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ness vs. Mike Jones - they are both psychic and have yoyos as weapons.

Mario vs. Pacman- they both are popular icons that appeared in the arcade in the 80s and have met in the Arcade GP.

Pit vs. Sora- They both have similar looks, that's all i got. lol

Marth Vs. Professor Layton- they both are good swordsman.

Wario Vs. Duck Hunt Dog- All I know is that they both laugh maniacally.

Kirby vs. Starfy- sounds destined to me, they both are cute.

Here's the rivalries I would like to see, but I don't wanna explain cause I'm lazy.

Metaknight vs. Saki

Olimar vs. Andy

Bowser vs. Ridley

Zelda vs. Palutena

Peach vs. Rosalina

Captain Rainbow vs. Captain Falcon

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Rivalries would be great if the whole Fox and Falco rivalry was expanded to every character it could be applied to. Weather it be 1vs1, Teams, or Free For All, they could be present for each.

This is the type of Easter egg that is worthwhile, especially for characters that have crossed paths in another series. That or fan made rivalries present in the real world.

:phone:

Isa Jo vs Takamaru

Takamaru wants Isa to be a "true warrior" and not focus too much on his technology. Teaches him in the way of fighting.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
What happens when an unmatched beauty comes knocking(invading really) on Prince Sable's doorstep?

Prince Sable vs Captain Syrup vs Wario in a fight between who gets to make off with Sable's royal riches.:awesome:

:phone:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
What happens when an unmatched beauty comes knocking(invading really) on Prince Sable's doorstep?

Prince Sable vs Captain Syrup vs Wario in a fight between who gets to make off with Sable's royal riches.:awesome:
That sounds like an event match, not a rivalry. A rivalry should just be between two characters.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Marth vs Link. . .
Zelda.
lolhowdoitrollface

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
Micaiah VS Wario- In Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Begnion (a country in Fire Emblem) wanted to capture Micaiah. If they had a huge reward for doing it and Wario just happened to see a wanted poster, then it would be an interesting rivalry.
Micaiah VS Terra- both get hunted by an evil empire because of their powers. Micaiah was hunted by Jarod's Army. Terra was hunted by Kefka (AKA Mr. Overrated Villain)
Micaiah VS Zelda- DOUBLE SPOILER ALERT! AVOID SPOILERS FOR FIRE EMBLEM RADIANT DAWN AND LEGEND OF ZELDA SKYWARD SWORD! Micaiah was possesed by Yune, the goddess of Chaos. Zelda is a reincarnation of Hylia who stopped Demise who was an evil god who reincarnated into Ganondorf.

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
Wario (Notices Wanted Poster): Hmm... That'll fetch me a pretty penny! I should capture this Villain.
Later:
Wario (Shocked): It's the silver haired maiden!
Micaiah: I've got to defend myself. At least until Sothe gets here.
Wario: You'll never beat me, VILLAIN!

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo VS Pit- Mewtwo would want to destroy all humans and Pit is the defender of all humans in his universe. Destroying Pit would leave humans without protection allowing an easy attack.
Sothe VS C. Falcon- In Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Sothe is in the theif line of classes. He even said once that he "Borrowed" some thunder magic from the Begnion storage area. Captain Falcon would hunt him down because he's a bounty hunter
Luigi VS Zoroark- In Lostlorn Forest (Zoroark's Home in Pokemon Black and White) humans disapear despite it being an easy to navigate area. If Luigi gets lost, Zoroark would attack or be disguised as a ghost pokemon like Gengar or Dusknoir to scare Luigi. Luigi would be lost and scared but tries to fight Zoroark.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ooh this looks like fun. I'll join in. :p

Mario vs Pikachu - two of the most popular Nintendo series and their main mascot's. Mario in general and Pikachu in the Pokemon series.

Pikachu vs Sonic - Dunno, just like this rivalry for some reason.

Donkey Kong vs Yoshi - It's Ape vs Dinasour showdown!

Professor Layton vs Ness - Dunno why I like this match up as well, probably because the Layton series has been drawn in the Earthbound/Mother style a few times before.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@BarnOwl
A friendly advice - Use the edit button instead of triple posting.

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
Luigi: I can't navigate through this forest. I'm SCAAAAAARRRED!
Zoroark (Disguised as Dusknoir): DUSKNOIR!!!!!!!!!!
Luigi: AHHHHHHHHHHHH! GHOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'VE GOOOOOOOOOOTTTAAAA RUUUUUUUUN FROM THE GHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Luigi: I'm cornered! I should fight the GHHHOSSST! (Shoots Fireball)
Zoroark (Revealing it's identity): ZOROARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Luigi: It's not a ghost. I might be able to win!
Oh yes thank you Falkoopa!

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
Ooh this looks like fun. I'll join in. :p

Mario vs Pikachu - two of the most popular Nintendo series and their main mascot's. Mario in general and Pikachu in the Pokemon series.

Pikachu vs Sonic - Dunno, just like this rivalry for some reason.

Donkey Kong vs Yoshi - It's Ape vs Dinasour showdown!

Professor Layton vs Ness - Dunno why I like this match up as well, probably because the Layton series has been drawn in the Earthbound/Mother style a few times before.
Pikachu vs Meowth - Do I need to explain?

Lucario vs Zoroark - The battle of Generations.

And that's all from the top of my head.
Sorry if this didn't work, this is my first time i'm using a quote.

I don't think that rivalries would be between characters in the same franchise. It just doesn't just have that shock value.

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
What do you think of my rivalries? Are they interesting and have that shock value. I did them based on my roster which i'll try to add.. It's pretty much normal characters except the Hero of Pokemon Conquest (from now on, I'm calling him Eevee Hero) I did Sothe who wasn't in my roster for one of my rivalries.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
They're pretty creative yes, I like the Zoroark vs Luigi idea. :)

I also actually have the Professor Layton vs Lucas idea but I think I'd better not explain it too much since... eh... better don't.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Your welcome. ^_^

By the way, BarnOwlsRSoAdorable. If you want to add something and no one has put another reply under your message yet, you should edit your post, the little edit button is just below your message.

Just thought I'd remind you or you might get in trouble my friend. ^^;

Rotani

Smash Rookie
Ness and Mewtwo.
Reason: Both are psychics, and Mewtwo bears a strong resemblance to how Giygas looked in the original Mother.
Mother/Earthbound and Pokemon are made by the same company(Gamefreak). Which explains why Mewtwo looks so much like Giygas.

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone like the idea of the Eevee Hero? He wouldn't actually fight (that would be awesome if it was possible) but he'll use the Eeveeloutions. Instead of switching out, you select the one you play as before the match starts.
Inspired by this post, I made a post of character rivalries for my roster if anyone wants to check it out.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I do a league and some rivalries came up naturally because of match-ups in the Smash league play. I divided the Smash Characters into conferences starting with Melee and continuing into Brawl. Certain conferences have changed over time as have characters affiliations to them. Also some of the Melee characters were too important to remove so I listed them as recolored version of characters in Brawl. As it stands now there are 5 Conferences and no independents

Mushroom Kingdom Conference

Mario (original member all 74 seasons)
Luigi (original member)
Peach (original member)
Bowser (original member)
Dr. Mario (original member, recolor of Mario since move to Brawl)
Yoshi (original member)
Donkey Kong (original member)
Wario (joined when getting Brawl)
Diddy (joined when getting Brawl)

They all play each other every season but the huge rivalries are Mario vs. Luigi, Mario vs. Sonic (OOC rivalry), Luigi vs. Fox (OOC rivalry), Peach vs. Samus (OOC rivalry), Peach vs. Zelda (OOC rivalry), Yoshi vs. Donkey Kong, Mario vs. everyone basically lol, Luigi vs. Peach, DK vs. Diddy. Mario vs. Link is also huge because they are historically the two strongest programs all-time.

Mushroom at the moment plays 8 Conference games and 3 OOC games. They are usually the strongest Conference although historically the Hyrule conference ruled until the late Melee era.

Hyrule Conference

Link (original member)
Ganon (original member)
Zelda (original member)
Y. Link (joined season 2 after unlocked him on Melee; still call him Young Link but use Toon Link on Brawl).
Ice Climbers ( joined season 2-3 from Indy and has went Indy again only to rejoin)
Marth (original member)
Roy\Ike (original member after expansion of Brawl Ike took on his legacy and history)
Pit ( joined 3 seasons into Brawl era after Indy)

Past Members: Kirby was in the league 3 seasons

Rivalries: Link vs. Kirby (OOC), Link vs. Ganon, Ganon vs. Ice Climbers, YL vs. Link, YL vs. Zelda, Link vs. Marth, Marth vs. Roy/Ike, Ganon vs. Captain Falcon (OOC), Zelda vs. Peach (OOC), Zelda vs. Samus (OOC), Zelda vs. Jigglypuff (OOC), Ice Climbers vs. Kirby (OOC - first two Independents). Hyrule is top heavy these days with Ganon, YL, Link, and Marth being the powerhouses of the league while the others are far weaker members but have had success at times. Nobody outside of the Big 4 (Link, Ganon, Young Link, Marth) has won a Championship.

This league plays 7 Conference games and 4 Out of Conference games each season. Historically very successful but top heavy, doesn't have the balance of Mushroom Kingdom Conference.

Space Conference:

Fox (original member)
Falco (original member)
Ness (original member)
Samus (original member)
Captain Falcon (original member)
Olimar (member since Brawl move)
ROB (member since Brawl move)
Wolf (member since Brawl move)
Lucas (member since Brawl move)

Past Members: Mr Game & Watch (until Brawl move), Kirby, Pikachu, Jigglypuff (last three joined for a spell in late Melee era).

Rivalries: Fox vs. Falco, Fox vs. Luigi (OOC), Fox vs. Wolf, Olimar vs. Fox, Falco vs. Wolf, Ness vs. Samus, Samus vs. Peach (OOC), Samus vs. Zelda (OOC), Fox vs. Link (OOC), Mr. Game & Watch vs. Ness (OOC), Ness vs. Lucas, ROB vs. Olimar, Captain Falcon vs. Ganon (OOC), Captain Falcon vs. Samus.

Nobody likes Fox in this league as Fox has dominated this league. Falco is the second most powerful program so that match-up in the final week as a rivalry game is always huge. Olimar in the middle and late Brawl era has come on as a tough program, especially at Olimar. Captain Falcon and Samus never seem to be able to get things going although Captain Falcon has won a Championship. Wolf is another program that is hyped but falls a part a lot.

This league plays 8 Conference games and 3 out of conference games a year. Traditionally dominated by Fox with Falco, Captain Falcon, and Olimar having runs for a time. Falco, Captain Falcon, and Wolf all have championships although Falco is the only one with more than one.

Pokemon Conference (this conference formed in Melee era and collapsed because Pikachu ran it and wanted more competition so went to Space with Jiggs, reformed in Brawl era and has been more successful):

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo (recolored Lucario)
Lucario
Charizard
Squirtle
Ivysaur

Past Members: Pokemon Trainer (Char, Ivy, and Squirtle were one char in 1st season of Brawl era), Pichu

Rivalries: Pikachu vs. Mewtwo, Mewtwo vs. Lucario, Lucario vs. Sonic (OOC), Char vs. Ike (OOC), Pikachu vs. Squirtle (great historical matchups but Squirtle has been weak lately).

League has been dominated by Pikachu historically but in Brawl era has seen success by other teams. Only two Championships all-time from this league and both in Brawl era with Pikachu winning one and Mewtwo winning the other. League has been far more competitive in Brawl era but seen as the weakest league.

This league plays Six Conference Games and Five out of Conference games

Dreamland Conference (only formed in Brawl era):

Kirby (original member)
King Dedede (original member)
Metaknight (original member)
Mr. Game & Watch (original member)
Sonic (joined middle of Brawl era)
Snake (joined middle of Brawl era)
Shadow (recolored Sonic, formed a team middle of Brawl era as member of league)

Rivalries: Sonic vs. Mario (OOC), Sonic vs. Lucario (OOC), Sonic vs. Snake, Sonic vs. Kirby, Kirby vs. Snake, Snake vs. Olimar (OOC), Kirby vs. Ice Climbers (OOC), Kirby vs. Pikachu (OOC), Kirby vs. Link (OOC), Kirby vs. Mario (OOC), Mr Game & Watch vs. Ness (OOC), Meta-Dedede-Kirby all consider each other rivals, Sonic vs. Shadow

This league is new and up until its expansion, totally dominated by Kirby. Sonic joined at its height and enter period of decline but still been powerful. After several seasons in Snake began to rise to prominance. League dominated by Snake, Sonic, and Kirby. Other teams have had some success but King Dedede and Metaknight are among two of the worse programs most seasons.

This league plays 6 conference games and 5 non conference games.

League is on 74 seasons. End of season is a Tournament of 16 teams seeded based on performance during season. It is a single elimination and all Conference Champions are automatically allowed in with the rest being at-large births. Higher seed has home course until Final Four. Final Four is at neutral Brawl Battlefield. Team success is keep up by Conference Championships, Final Fours, and overall Championships. Historically Mario and Link most successful while Sonic and Fox have beem most successful in Brawl era (with Mario coming close in this era as well). Ganon, Donkey Kong, Dr. Mario, Kirby, Marth, Y. Link, Peach, and Luigi are also significant powers.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How exactly would these rivalries work in actual gameplay though?
It wouldn't do anything to normal gameplay. It would be a hyped up match in classic mode.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
How exactly would these rivalries work in actual gameplay though?
Rivalries in most fighters don't affect gameplay. They're usually just a special fight with a special fight before the final boss of an arcade-type mode with a special mode.

Look up playthroughs of any SF game past the Alpha series or PS All-Stars to see how it works.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I would just lovee to see ZSS/Zelda/Candy kiss Mario and see Peaches Reaction or ZSS/Peach/Candy Kiss Link and see Zelda's reaction looool. Sooo hope they do this would be madness.

Another lol thing.

a game of chess Mewtwo vs D.K xD

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Some more I thought of:

Anna and Tom Nook
Reason: Both are merchants and would probably be business rivals.

Mach Rider and Captain Falcon
Reason: Both come from racing games, and F-Zero is something of a spiritual successor to Mach Rider.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I personally wouldn't want some exaggerated character rival system... in the end, all of the "rivalries" would be based off of completely trivial, pointless things like "Well, they don't have rivals yet and they're both girls, so... RIVALS."

Other fighting games have rivalries because the characters are all from the same universe and have a shared history together. Street Fighter's Ryu and Sagat have been rivals since the beginning of their fighting careers, since Ryu shattered his fighting record and his face. All of the SoulCalibur characters are literally destined to combat their rivals.

Smash Bros characters... well. Unless they invent an alternate shared history in the Smashverse, these rivalries are destined to completely superficial and pointless.

That being said, I'm probably gonna start thinking about what they would be. :p

Top Bottom