• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rivalry Predictions

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
That's the thing, though- Let's say, for instance, it's Mario vs. Wario and Peach vs. Bowser... Who is Luigi supposed to rival? There aren't an equal number of good guys and bad guys in the game and there certainly aren't even two characters from each universe. Very quickly they'd have to start pairing up with characters that just don't actually matter to them. It becomes a little hard to believe that, like, Luigi just hates Captain Olimar.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
That's the thing, though- Let's say, for instance, it's Mario vs. Wario and Peach vs. Bowser... Who is Luigi supposed to rival? There aren't an equal number of good guys and bad guys in the game and there certainly aren't even two characters from each universe. Very quickly they'd have to start pairing up with characters that just don't actually matter to them. It becomes a little hard to believe that, like, Luigi just hates Captain Olimar.
You're taking this too seriously.

It's not really a story thing. They're usually just there as mythology gags and such.

If Smash had rivalries, I imagine they'd work like they do in Playstation All-Stars.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
You're taking this too seriously.

It's not really a story thing. They're usually just there as mythology gags and such.

If Smash had rivalries, I imagine they'd work like they do in Playstation All-Stars.
Eh. I don't like it in Playstation All-Stars (I don't actually know anything about it other than the fact that they have rivalries), but I like it even less in Smash. In PAS the characters are standalone while in this one a lot of the characters are coming with genuine rivals, it just feels weird to have some people crossing the universe gap and some not. Also, more importantly, in PAS some of the rivalries make next to no sense at all, and if you have to stretch that far, what's the point in bringing attention to it?
Maybe in Bioshock you actually are killing Big Daddies as Sackboy the entire time and just don't realize it since it's an FPS. Or maybe rivalries in a game like this just don't fit.

(and yes, I am taking it too seriously- Smashboards and all. It's serious business. :) )

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
What I would like to see is music that plays during certain one on one matchups. BlazBlue does this epicly and this one I've recently come to love.

Vaati

Smash Rookie
I don't think that all characters should have rivalries, so there will be no stupid ones. Let's take Mario... he could be Wario, and DK's rival, Bowser's enemy and Peach and Luigi's friend. Donkey Kong could be Diddy's friend and Mario's rival. Such a system would be very cool. Of course there could be also some other rivalries like Megaman-R.O.B. but making an Olimar-G&W (example) rivalry just because they don't know with who they should match them would be stupid.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Professor Layton VS. Zoroark (Illusions)

Megaman VS. R.O.B

Anna Vs. Wario

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
When Zelda beats the vilains, she needs to say this at 0:44 (some language).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Anna vs. Wario
Both like money.

Bowser vs. Ganondorf
Nintendo's well-known villains.

Meta Knight vs. Dark Pit
Prominent anti-heroes in their respective series, aiding the main characters and fighting them from time to time.

Pokémon Trainer vs. Cynthia
The most epic Champion battle ever, Smash style.

King K. Rool vs. Ridley
Reptiles leading pirates.

Marth vs. Takamaru
Both are swift swordsmen, one being inspired by medieval Europe and the other being inspired by ancient Japan.

Captain Falcon vs. Mach Rider
Do I really need to explain this one?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think Melee sort of displayed a rivalry between Marth and Link. Notably the congratulations pictures.

Top Bottom