• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character/Main advice

Malithis

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone,

So some of you probably played with me today and kicked my butt, i'm still very fresh on the pm scene and looking to get my butt kicked at a monthly tournament on Aug 10. I couldn't sleep tonight and while thinking i realized i needed to rethink who i was playing. My area has many strong falcon players and the top players main sonic, snake and fox/marth. Now i realize the last bit doesn't matter because i doubt i will even make pools.

So what characters have you enjoyed/think are very solid competitive characters? My prefered character is a strong niche character who has strong potential but melee players know little about. Low tier melee characters or brawl would be best choices. I will be picking up peach but the others are up in the air? Last bit of information my friend mains squirtle and zard so anyone that can fare well against them would be nice.

TL DR:
Would like to main:
Non-super heavyweight
Good vs falcon, squirtle and/or zard
(Optional) range, mobility or disjoint
Not a textbook melee MU

I know this may be in the wrong spot or seem like a silly idea but i really value the input of other players and would like to see what you all enjoy.

Ph.D

Smash Rookie
Pit is a little harder to pick up, but he fits what you are looking for.

MrMikhael

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrMikhael
3DS FC
3325-3388-9827
I usually use characters to the point I have a good grasp of their strengths/ weaknesses and I feel like every character is viable but truly it depends on your own play style. How do you play?

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Many of the Melee low-tiers were not just buffed, but buffed via movesets that are built specifically to counter fast fallers, since the spacies dominated top tier. And goes for a lot of the Brawl newcomers, so chances are if you aren't picking a Melee/Brawl top tier, they'll have a decent MU against Spacies and Falcon. Roy's disjoints can trouble some MUs, but if the character has tools to get in past them, it's the same story for him too.

For Squirtle...characters with longer range often do better iirc. Charizard I have no idea

Malithis

Smash Cadet
Thanks a ton guys
I usually use characters to the point I have a good grasp of their strengths/ weaknesses and I feel like every character is viable but truly it depends on your own play style. How do you play?
I generally playe floaties like Kirby and peach but I like characters who have a fast approach and can utilize good macro. Peach's float is really cool to me bc it gives me space or positioning to play how I want at a specific time. Ike seems cool and someone I will probably go to later in my playing. So I love sheiks approach and kit, love links bombs, really enjoy Martha spacing etc. All I want is a character that either has a great approach or good spacing. I don't care about skill floors also

DeFish

Smash Apprentice
Floaty, disjoints, spacing, good against spacies...I'd say you're describing MewTwo.

Malithis

Smash Cadet
Floaty, disjoints, spacing, good against spacies...I'd say you're describing MewTwo.
Thanks for the advice, i'd have to learn the character more to truly know how i feel about him. Will try him out after the monthly.

Top Bottom