• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Height: A Rough Start

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
The guy running this thread literally has so much work on his hands that it makes high school look like a walk in the park. Apparently, it's on hiatus until he decides to actually update the damn thing.

I will tell this, however, that Corrin is as tall as ZSS, and Bayonetta is the second tallest female in the game, behind Rosalina.
Well... you're not entirely wrong. I'm hopefully on the order of months away from completing a PhD. Technically I've been saying that for like... a year. Nothing ever goes as planned in graduate school. I'll see if I can use the prior protocol to measure the DLC characters real quick. As it's been stated before though, determining true height is quite difficult and will likely require an overhaul of the measurement methodology. Most ideally, we'd be able to get maximum and minimum height for the different parts of the characters' animation cycles... but we'll see.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Well... you're not entirely wrong. I'm hopefully on the order of months away from completing a PhD. Technically I've been saying that for like... a year. Nothing ever goes as planned in graduate school. I'll see if I can use the prior protocol to measure the DLC characters real quick. As it's been stated before though, determining true height is quite difficult and will likely require an overhaul of the measurement methodology. Most ideally, we'd be able to get maximum and minimum height for the different parts of the characters' animation cycles... but we'll see.
What you can do is have the character being tested hold an item so that the idle animation becomes much more static. I don't think it gets rid of it completely, but it more or less gets rid of them.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
What you can do is have the character being tested hold an item so that the idle animation becomes much more static. I don't think it gets rid of it completely, but it more or less gets rid of them.
Sure. For some characters (Peach, Mega Man) it eliminates the standing cycle, but I don't know if it does for all characters. I also don't know if that static item-hold position is near the maximum, minimum, or median of the stand cycle. Even worse still, the frequency at which each character strikes each part of their cycle varies wildly. Kirby is a good example. He has a sort of left/right flip motion during his crouch that ZSS can grab (hence, why I know this). It is the tallest part of his crouch, but it likely is struck for less than 30% of his total cycle animation.

Turns out, this is a hilariously non-trivial problem.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Darn I was looking for a chart like this to judge shield heights, but things like greninjas natural stance will mess with how high each characters shield is. (bow Jr can bounce a mecha Koopa of the shield is low enough ie works on mario, not on Ganondorf)

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
What if you used bayonetta's down tilt (the held version) on a slight downward slope, and inched her foreward until the bullets hit the character? That way you could see the maximum height even with strange animations.

Top Bottom