• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I fully expect that we get Ashley in the next Smash. And if Sakurai is still being biased, Viridi might not be far behind.

Oh and Nintendo should buy Chrono Trigger and TWEWY since they both need new games.

Last edited:

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
You know who would fit in really well in smash bros? Captain n, he's done more than many if nintendos greats, he's fought many villains and won, he'd be perfect for the series. God I just thought about captain n in smash, I think it's time to use the sleep.

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Let's get off the dark pit discussion and discuss something else, I remember how heated the arguments could be, so why not shift over to maybe a second possible retro, such as Mach rider, or maybe a really obscure character be in the last few characters remaining. @MorbidAltruism Isabelle is my choice also, I would rather have her than Killager.
Assuming the Mii Fighter icon will appear where I think it will (between Sonic and random), I am convinced that it's Lucas, ICs, Wolf, and Mewtwo. It evens out the select screen too well.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Assuming the Mii Fighter icon will appear where I think it will (between Sonic and random), I am convinced that it's Lucas, ICs, Wolf, and Mewtwo. It evens out the select screen too well.
I say you can have a fifth. I'm near convinced that Miis replace the random square. Randomizing with customs on sounds scary. :S

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Maybe, since the Ice Climbers are being cut for technical reasons...

We should get the Polar bear as playable. :joyful:

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
Since Sakurai put so much focus into adding females this time around, I'd like to see more villain focus for 5mash. K. Rool, Captain Syrup (a female villain!), Ridley (if he doesn't make it), Black Shadow, Wolf (if he's really cut), and Mewtwo (if he doesnt return) anyone?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Since Sakurai put so much focus into adding females this time around, I'd like to see more villain focus for 5mash. K. Rool, Captain Syrup (a female villain!), Ridley (if he doesn't make it), Black Shadow, Wolf (if he's really cut), and Mewtwo (if he doesnt return) anyone?
Yes. We need some more villains to balance things out with the Goody Goodies.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Since Sakurai put so much focus into adding females this time around,
So, to anyone who still thinks Sakurai went "girl crazy" this time around, let's knock that idea out of the park now, shall we? It's appeared in a lot of places and, as someone who likes good female characters and prefers playing as them, it's pretty annoying for me to see.

Note that this is not a complaint about the number of female characters in the game (that is more Nintendo's problem than Smash Bros.), just a rebuttal against people who would say there are "enough" or even "a lot" of female characters available.

First, let's list all the possible female characters one can play as:
1. Samus
2. Zero Suit Samus
3. Zelda
4. Sheik
5. Jigglypuff
6. Peach
7. Wii Fit Trainer
8. Villager
9. Rosalina
10. Palutena
11. Robin
12. Lucina
13. Mii

Does 13 sound like a good number? Perhaps. It's more characters than SSB64 had and half the size of the SSBM roster. But it's a little strange to really count all of those; let's take out the ones that are considered alternates, because they don't truly show up on the selection screen and aren't the main representation for the character. Let's also remove the Miis, because those are much more of a separate thing entirely:

1. Samus
2. Zero Suit Samus
3. Zelda
4. Sheik
5. Jigglypuff
6. Peach
7. Wii Fit Trainer
8. Rosalina
9. Palutena
10. Lucina

Even this is still being a bit generous; Sheik/Zelda and Samus/ZSS are technically the same person, which really reduces this to 8 separate entities, but since they appear separately on the selection screen and have unique moves, I'll count them.

And what is the size of the roster? Assuming the leak we've seen is the whole thing, 48. 10/48 = 20.8%. Better than Brawl, but still less than a quarter of the entire roster. If we miraculously get Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Lucas back? It gets reduced to 19.6% because none of them are female (Ice Climbers don't count as female because Popo is the default).

Even going back to the first list and counting all the potentially female characters one can play as, it only amounts to 27%, not even a third of the roster.
tl;dr Sakurai did not "go girl crazy" for this roster when less than half of the newcomers are female.
No. Four legit female newcomers does not equal "a focus on adding females."

This is in general for anyone who thinks this, because it really annoys me to see.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
No. Four legit female newcomers does not equal "a focus on adding females."

This is in general for anyone who thinks this, because it really annoys me to see.
But you have to consider the lasting Nintendo Females that have earned their spots. There are not that many to choose from that have the main stay powers that the already existing ones have besides Dixie Kong and Medusa, maybe even Krystal.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
We will.
Did ya know, that Smash 5 comes out in Holiday 2014?
I'm looking forward to the further reveals.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Whoa. Guess I'm left with no other choice than to seek out a decent quality image of Dark Pit for my second wish/prediction roster.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
But you have to consider the lasting Nintendo Females that have earned their spots. There are not that many to choose from that have the main stay powers that the already existing ones have besides Dixie Kong and Medusa, maybe even Krystal.
If Sakurai were focusing on female characters specifically, at least one of Robin or Villager would be default female considering there's no particular reason they should be default male.

And here are some plenty reasonable female characters Sakurai could add if he really wanted to focus on females:
1. Dixie
2. Impa
3. Krystal
4. Lip
5. Captain Syrup
6. Rhythm Girl (To be fair, this is only worth mentioning if a different RH character gets in)
7. Sami (AW fans say she'd be a good successor for Snake's moveset, and AW doesn't have a rep)
8. Daisy as an upgraded Peach clone (but Dr. Mario instead)
9. Barbara
10. Jill Dozer
11. Ashley or Mona

I could also add Lyn, but Fire Emblem already got 1 1/2 female newcomers, so that quota is fulfilled.

Nintendo has a lot more male characters than female, but if the focus were really to be on adding females, there's not exactly a shortage of them to choose from. If he could think of Wii Fit Trainer, I'm sure there are plenty more I didn't list.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
How about Malon? She could perform menial chores for moves, spill bottles of milk on the floor to make opponents stumble and slip, use cuccos for recoveries and projectiles. Would be like Villager in the respect that she is fighting with everyday moves. I think Malon would be the perfect WTF character and Zelda newcomer people so desperately crave right now. She has absolutely no fighting background. Perfect for Sakurai and his bizarre, impulsive, childish desires. :troll:

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa, Dixie Kong and Krystal are basically Top Tier female picks. And I do wish all three of them would make it in.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
What compromises would you be willing to accept in order to cram stuff into the game?

Ex.
Dixie as Diddy Alt.
Not really a compromise but, Blood Falcon's alt done RIGHT. You all know what it is.
'cram' I'll go with the alternate costume abuse for character's sake:
P.S. everything I say, I put love beind it.
  • put DP back in Pit's dark costume swap. ILY @MorbidAltruism
  • put Dr.Mario back in Mario's costume swap.
  • Think about Lucina put back in Marth's gender swap. If I could.
  • Dixie as Diddy alt is good I like that, bringing it up in a bulletin. ILY @ Gold_Jacobson Gold_Jacobson & @ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong
  • Black Shadow as a Ganondorf alternate. Yes I went there & put F-Zero in LoZ, problem? Well then too decent.:troll:
  • Daisy returns as Peach alt.
  • Mewtwo as MasterBall. I especially love you Mewtwo fans.
  • Sceptile as a stage hazard. ILY Grass & Sceptile fans, including myself, a lot. Gotta love yourself.
  • Krystal as AT. ILY @ ~Krystal~ ~Krystal~
  • Birdo & Boshi alternates for Yoshi. ALSO YARN YOSHI
  • Captain Toad cameo as an alternate change as Toad being Peach's counter, if she had to get a different alternate as well
  • Wigglytuff's design on Jigglypuff. Forget Igglybuff.
  • Blaziken as a Falcon alternate costume. Yes I went there & put Pokemon in F-Zero, problem?
  • Amy & Metal Sonic in Sonic's gender swap & / or alternate costume swap(s).
  • Proto Man as a Mega-man palette. Sorry but thank you
  • Impa as Sheik alternate. ILY @ Diddy Kong Diddy Kong
  • Vaati as AT. ILY @ Autumn ♫ Autumn ♫
  • Chorus Kids as AT. ILY @Burruni
I guess I;ll stop for now.
How about this guys, what if you can add more stuff to the game, but you have to wait until the beginning of the next year to play the 3DS version, the Wii U version gets delayed even further, because the game gets delayed?

Would you do it?
Depends if I was spoiled of the surprises & knew ow what exact content I'd eggspect to want this "Would I" scenario. Because I don't want another Mii FIghter & Palutena scenario to wait that many months.

Now if it were for the sake of decent addition content that I can add to the game like: Past N64 stages & BOARD THE PLATFORMS, mainly the nostalgia sauce, then HELL YES I WOULD. I want these games to be satisfying 80%. I feel generally people are humble with rosters & will accept them no matter wait. That's great because I can be humble too, but as a consumer / fan, I want nothing more than something far above average, persay 90% satisfaction. Smash Bros is love & life.
Still, a playable character is the best inclusion a series can get in Smash. Taking them out, but leaving their content would be insulting, it would be like taking out Captain Falcon.
Realistically in the aftermath, I agree. Though I would argue with this because Falcon cannot be compared to IC's in a Smash sense (weird to say that right?). Falcon is one of the faces of Smash & taking him out especially from my bias standpoint, Smash would no longer be Smash & no one would buy the game anymore. Falcon Punch vocally, visually, & metaphorically, is hyesz, & IC's are not hyesz. Though IC's are being dropped potentially because of issues which is a fair reason. This is exactly the opposite of what happened to Mk8 DLC for F-Zero, which I'm salty about.
Hyesz!
Villains need to be respected. Especially imo BS / K. Rool / CSyrup / & Ridley. ( I want mostly newcomers, veterans at least have a better chance) Just look at how many confirmed protagonists there are (not complete based on any lack of knowledge, please fill me in if I'm issing any):
:4falcon::4diddy::4dk::4fox::4kirby::4myfriends::4link::4lucina::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4megaman::4olimar::4pit::4samus::4sheik::4shulk::4sonic::4tlink::4zelda::4zss:

EDIT: Guys, guys. Look what Sakurai said about Tingle!:

«The legendary hero Riki appears as an Assist Trophy and in Shulk's Final Smash!! As an Assist Trophy, he uses many arts like Happy Happy, Freezinate, and Yoink! He sounds a bit like Tingle...but don't worry, Tingle will make an appearance too. By the way, a cursor will appear above Assist Trophies and Pokémon to indicate which fighter is its ally. Now you can tell right off the bat who it belongs to!!» 01.Sep.2014

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I didn't even read this wall of text. I saw this line and instantly became disappointed. You couldn't even go with an alternate? :mad:
Your opinions are too edgy for me.
Very well, I'll make an exception for Krystal just this once.

Palutena alternate.:troll:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
If you are trying to troll me... Put your suit on and grab your briefcase, because you are successful.
Sorry but thank you. . .:secretkpop:
In all seriousness, Krystal would be the female gender swap to Fox. Because love interest!
I may see this happening for Ice Climber SoPo if he is to return. Nana is the love interest of SoPo according to sources, though someone on the forum said IC's relationship was described to be "whatever you wanted it to be".

Nana for SoPo's gender palette swap right guys?:shades:

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Sorry but thank you. . .:secretkpop:
In all seriousness, Krystal would be the female gender swap to Fox. Because love interest!
I may see this happening for Ice Climber SoPo if he is to return. Nana is the love interest of SoPo according to sources, though someone on the forum said IC's relationship was described to be "whatever you wanted it to be".

Nana for SoPo's gender palette swap right guys?:shades:
Yeah I can see that happening. Popo and Nana are shippable. Hypothetically speaking, let's say SoPo did become a thing. What kind of tweaks do you think they'd give him?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Do you guys think Ridley will ever be outright shown pre-release? There's only a relatively few days left. Sakurai might as well show him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom