• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character differences between Wii U and 3DS?

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I was playing a lot of Yoshi on Wii U yesterday, and I noticed that no matter what I did, my downthrow setups just did not work on the Wii U version, which lead me to suspect that Yoshi might be different than he was on 3DS. Lo and behold, I used the gamepad and 3DS to do side-by-side testing, and I noticed that Yoshi's down throw seems to recover about 5 frames earlier on 3DS. I don't have a video, but you can replicate the test fairly easily for yourself by doing down throw on both systems and holding shield, the 3DS consistently brings shield up a few frames earlier, which allows Yoshi to pressure much more effectively on 3DS.

I also think his Dash Attack recovers a few frames earlier on Wii U, but it's much harder to do a parallel test on that one. I did notice that my old jab jab dash attack setups seemed to work much better on Wii U than they do on 3DS version 1.0.4.

Has anyone else found any differences between the 3DS and Wii U versions? Of course, if the data files can be extracted from the Wii U version for a direct comparison, that would be best, but I'm not sure if this can be done with Wii U games yet.

Edit: Maybe I'm insane. I ran the the test another 30 times or so and now it's looking very close to even (I adjusted the test to hold shield until it breaks, which makes the timing easier to judge). I do notice some slight inconsisntencies between when the computer will land on the top platform from the middle of battlefield, but this could be just variances in AI behaviour (which definitely does seem different between the games).

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Have you gotten the day 1 update patch? Wii U v1.00 was a midpoint between the 3DS 1.03 and 1.04, and the update put it to 1.04

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Have you gotten the day 1 update patch? Wii U v1.00 was a midpoint between the 3DS 1.03 and 1.04, and the update put it to 1.04
My Wii U says 1.0.1. Is there actually a 1.0.4 for Wii U?

Incidentally, the main difference I noticed was actually that opponents seemed to go higher on Wii U from down throw, not that Yoshi recovered a lot slower, that just seemed to be the case in training mode. The height looks pretty similar between Wii U and 3DS (though, as noted, there are small differences between when the opponent will land on the top platform of battlefield, they actually seem to land on it a bit earlier on 3DS), but if there are any differences to rage or staleness on Wii U that could also be the difference, as both of those affect knockback (and neither shows up in training mode)

Last edited:

Stilll Alive

Smash Cadet
Don't know if it's a character change or a entire game change but sonic's up smash can kill MUCH easier, haven't had the chance to test other characters ups too

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I'm 100% sure there are differences. Peach's turnip down throw sends character to you on the 3DS but away from you on the Wii U. extremely easy to test.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Things just don't work with Marth. I feel like his movement and hit boxes are just weird.

It's easier to do stuff with him in the 3DS version, but I've lowkey given up on him in the Wii U version. Very frustrating

Last edited:

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator
I like Ness a lot better now on the wiiu version
Eh. Had to check it out but, Ness is way better. I'd since in a tier of his own like MK now. Mainly because his edge guarding is the best now, kills very early, and pk fire can hit ledged opponents. Blargh

Top Bottom