• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character analyses - Why do you love Palutena?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I posted a similar thread in the Pit forum. As Lady Palutena is my second main character, I figured it'd be appropriate to get to know why others like her so much, too!

The purpose of this thread is to explain and discuss why we choose to play as Palutena. Let's talk about why she's our favourite character and what exactly about her - personality, appearance, lore, moveset - that endears her to us so much.

My own perspective can be summarised in this brief essay I wrote about her. I'll copy-paste it from the Palutena discussion thread for convenience's sake.

I like Palutena because she is, in my eyes, the archetypal "Big Good" done well. I'll keep this in spoiler tags because it's a wee bit of a wall of text! ;3

Let me explain. In just about every story, there's the "Big Bad". There's always some evil presence that acts as the antagonistic foil to the heroes: the dark lord in the midnight castle, the scheming supervillain planning world domination, and so on and so forth. In this case, we have Medusa, the Goddess of Darkness. She turns people to stone, poisons rivers, sends hordes of infernal monsters to terrorise the land and generally causes chaos and madness. She's pretty self-evidently the bad guy.

Then we have Palutena, the Goddess of Light. Palutena is the polar opposite of Medusa in every conceivable way: Medusa is a grotesque demon, Palutena is a beautiful woman; Medusa is a calm, sinister evildoer, Palutena is a lively, vivacious force of good; Medusa is dark in her colour scheme, Palutena favous bright tones; Medusa commands death and ruin, Palutena orders life and honour. They're both exceedingly different.

That being said, look at them a little closer and you'll notice that they're actually a lot more similar than their initial appearances may suggest. Both are goddesses that oversee the world before them, each one maintaining dominion over a certain key element of existence: light and dark, good and evil, life and death, white and black. The two are not mutually exclusive, as they are, rather, two sides of the same coin, so to speak; mirror images of one-another. They even wield similar staves, and both are wielded in the other hand!

What's really cool, though, is that neither of them are presented as being obliquely "good" or "evil". Both are equally grey in certain areas.

Medusa is a cruel, merciless bringer of terror and destructive power, but she is only reacting in a human way - she has been mocked and scorned too often, to the extent that she has become a force for evil. All she desires is cold, calculated vengeance on those that made her the way she is. She appears in the climax to knock off Hades's final blow, so tired is she of being his mindless servant that she displays that most human of traits: free will. Regardless of whether she willingly chose the paths of evil and darkness to begin with, she has elected to become the symbol of all that she has been depicted as. She is the embodiment of evil not because she wants to be, but because that's just how the world sees her.

Palutena, conversely, is a hero with a lot of grey smeared into her pure whiteness. She is the ruler of Skyworld and the protector of mortal beings; the very embodiment of justice and honesty. That being said, let's consider some the things she does throughout the course of the story: she turns Medusa into a wicked abomination to reflect the evil in her heart, thus creating the very antagonist that becomes her arch-nemesis in years to come; she purposely sends Pit into dangerous situations, confident in his ability to succeed against all odds, but seldom intervening herself; she willingly and happily teases and tricks Pit whenever the situation calls for it and never apologises for her bizzare, juvenile behaviour; she rejects Magnus's cricitisms of her handling the Underworld invasion, citing him as "a jerk" for not conforming to her bleak, cynical standards of humanity; she causes a lot of mischief and has a tendency to disregard the true danger of what she is doing to Pit and others as well; she is arrogant, petty, spiteful and lethargic - hardly qualities we'd consider to be "good"!

And that's why I love her so much. She isn't the all-encompassing, incorruptable effigy of truth and light that so many "Big Good" characters are: she's fallible, she's corruptible, she's weird, she's messed up in all sorts of strange, humanistic ways. She makes mistakes, she breaks down, she has flaws, she isn't as strong as she's made out to be. She's the embodiment of light and the paragon of virtue to mortal beings; but to other deities, she's just another goddess with a lot of responsibilities and her own personal agendas to accrue and maintain. Pit regards her as the saviour of creation and the greatest person in existence, not out of coercion or irrational judgement, but because he genuinely loves and cares for her. Palutena's job is a hell of a task and it's clear that, for all of her divine powers and cosmic levels of egotism, she suffers and cries just like everybody else does. Pit sees her for what she truly is and he doesn't mind: he sees past the good and into the darkness of the abyss and sees it staring back at him, the true, essentially human aspects of her; and then beyond even that to see the real good within her, not just the projected, reflected good.

Palutena, in my eyes, represents true good. She is the sort of good that doesn't care if it's weak and ill-equipped, if it's foolish and naive - it's good for the sake of being good and because it's the right thing to do. To err is human, to forgive is divine: and no godly paragon of good and saviour of justice is truly divine without being just a little human.

I like your interpretation, of course. She's kind of a lackadaisical, borderline sociopath nutjob, but she does care for Pit unconditionally and doesn't tease and trick him for her own benefit: she does it because she's human. Call me crazy and unusual if you will, but I'd rather have a crazy, unpredictable mentor and friend who'll cast me into a volcano to find an immortal phoenix one moment and hold my battered, charred body with tears in her eyes and songs on her tongue the next than an absolute authority of good and light that doesn't really understand what good really and truly is.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I said this in the Palutena thread, they could of easily, and I mean easily, made Palutena (and Pit as well) generic characters who can do no wrong and have the personality of cardboard. But no, Sakuari took characters with no personality whatsoever, and made them lovable and memorable. I'll mention Pit here as well, Pit is a dork, but he's lovable, pretty much everything he said in Uprising was cute and funny, expect when he sings, god I hate that part. Getting to Palutena, they don't try to make her seem like a "goody two-shoes" goddess, she's done some questionable and mean-spirited things, you know, like an actual Greek god. Palutena is on the right side, but she has flaws, she's not perfect, and that's what makes her an interesting character. I like it when characters have flaws. Now do I think she went a tad too far at times? Yes, the "you poor guy, you really need to make some friends", was a bit too mean for my liking, even for teasing. Still, Pit and Palutena are overall great characters, and I hope to see more of them in the future.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
never mind

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I just love her character in Uprising, I like the idea of this very cheeky goddess who likes to have a bit of fun with her abilities, so yeah I like Viridi for similar reasons too same goes for Hades, Hades in particular I think was the best character in Uprising, Palutena comes close though.

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
Why is Palutena great? This one quote pretty much explains why.

"Humans are simple, selfish little creatures who are driven by greed. Sounds a lot like us gods wouldn't you say?"

I love it when there's a 'godly' character that realizes gods are just as messed up as human beings.

KarmikCykle

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1934-1244-5520
Loved what I've played of Uprising so far, love teleporting characters, went through a phase in elementary where I was obsessed with Greek mythology, and love how they handled her by making her flawed like the Greek gods were. Not to mention she's very hot.

Oh yeah, and from the tournament videos I've seen, I like her zoning and anti-projectile abilities.

Last edited:

lordgiratina7000

Smash Rookie
NNID
vaporeon6000
3DS FC
4983-4929-8196
I have some kind of obsession with female characters in games,I absolutely loved Palutena in Uprising and I got extremely hyped when I saw her character reveal. I personally like Palutena because she's funny yet serious when she needs to be.

TL;DR Who needs princesses when you can have a Goddess!

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
One of her taunts involves her flicking her hair back like a totally fabulous ***** that doesn't gaf and no one is talking about it because another one involves a pole dance. >__>

Shog

Smash Ace
With all honesty, once I saw the character reveal, and that ghetto booty, I new it was destiny... :p
^
And I tried "Random" with her special moves and I like the explosion UP B a lot: In the Air it is a Meteor Spike, on the Ground it kills.

(Why does she have so many Custom Moves though ಥ_ಥ )

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I've said this over and over again: her personality. I loved her in Kid Icarus Uprising. Just as I have fallen in love with all the other characters. Hades especially.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I always wanted her playable since Brawl, but it was KI:U that made me love her 10 times more. That personality I tell you, and like Pit, she's very talkative, which is rare for Nintendo characters outside of Starfox I believe. And I mentioned the personality before, but again because it's so amazing with hilarious banters between her and Pit, and so much more. That personality, definitely amazing. <3

Seeing her trailer, despite me now thinking it was average, amazed me mainly because my only Smash 4 want got in. Now seeing her moves, I'm definitely satisfied in her versatility. I'm just surprised she's lighter than Pit, though, but at least she can move fast.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Palutena is cool. He beats bad guys and doesn't afraid of anything.

(Kid Icarus Uprising is the main reason. That game is awesome and I wanted Palutena in smash ever since I played that game)

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
She's one of my favorite characters in the game. Mechanically she's a little off from what I imagined, but she still turned out very fun and unique. Plus I love her personality. Though I definitely seem to interpret it a bit differently than some, judging by posts here.

xnine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xninebreaker
3DS FC
3582-8927-0427
Forward smash; those wings are absolutely stunning. Also, the hair flip on her down taunt... my goodness!

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
KI:U is probably one of my favorite games of all time. I started off disliking her playstyle and mained DK for a bit but gravitated back to her and the playstyle started to click. Now I've started to really enjoy the Dthrow spam and AR harrassment.

BKTang'

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Konjiki-Jizo
3DS FC
1950-9517-4990
She's sexy. She's a goddess. She can pole dance.

And her playstyle is actually really great! A good mix between offensive and defensive, i love it

faderpotater

Smash Apprentice
Kept hearing my friends say she seemed bad when they got smash so naturally I was curious as I have a habit of liking lower tier/unpopular characters for some reason. So I tried her and wasn't super impressed besides her smash attacks which I thought looked awesome. Then I just kept finding myself gravitating towards her and started getting used to her moves. Then she just kinda became my main.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I posted a similar thread in the Pit forum. As Lady Palutena is my second main character, I figured it'd be appropriate to get to know why others like her so much, too!

The purpose of this thread is to explain and discuss why we choose to play as Palutena. Let's talk about why she's our favourite character and what exactly about her - personality, appearance, lore, moveset - that endears her to us so much.

My own perspective can be summarised in this brief essay I wrote about her. I'll copy-paste it from the Palutena discussion thread for convenience's sake.
I really love how detailed you went into your love for Palutena! In many ways, your love for Palutena emulates my own love for the character. She's not your typical "Big Good," which is truly refreshing to see in a story that you think would be cut and dry, but isn't because so many characters, along with Palutena, aren't your typical characters, they break from the mold and stand out as incredibly detailed and lovable characters because of this. Her personality and beauty are the highlights for me about her and what make her such a memorable character. I can't get over her amazing humour, kindness, incredible spirit, determination and of course, her willingness to do what is right no matter what. But she's not perfect and she shows that she errs just like most humans. He's relatable, but someone you want to strive to become in many ways. I could go on about Palutena but you've done a FAR better job at articulating my feelings about why I love Palutena than I ever could, and I thank you for that. ^_^

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
I'm one of those types to choose my mains for their background rather than playstyle (though its a bonus if I find that comfortable). I play Palutena mostly because I grew really fond of her antics in Uprising. She may not be quiiite the troll she was there in Smash, and I would have loved to see her old VA return too, but it's still Palutena. Can't go wrong.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
In Smash, I like Palutena for her moveset, as it very much suits mine defensive playstyle. I've never been a very aggressive or impatient player, so characters like Meta Knight have never really struck mine fancy. When Palutena's trailer was first revealed, instinctively I knew she was going to be mine favourite, along with Robin. At first, I sucked with Palutena, but I got the hang of her I have found mineself winning more matches than I ever did with Pit and Lucina, whom were mine original mains.

In Kid Icarus: Uprising, her personality is rather cool, too. At first, I thought she would have this generic holy woman personality, but I really like the saucy, know-it-all personality they gave her; it makes for a very unique and memorable heroine.

Last edited:

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
To much reasons why I love Palutena xD But super thread <3

But I could say an example... I love her because her look ^-^

Akumetsu

Smash Apprentice
Boring one: I like the way she plays.
^pretty much.

+kicking people into the abyss ist just satisfying...

I've never touched a Kid Icarus game, but that's also true for most other games present in Smash. :p

soru

#2 Best Palutena in Canada
She feels good to play, and landing any smash attack or bair is satisfying as heck.

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
She's sexy, attractive and charming. I loved her dialogue in Uprising.

DD_

Smash Journeyman
I like Palutena as she has a move set and play style that suits me pretty well. She also seems very underrated so the added matchup salt factor appeals to me.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I love Palutena because of her playstyle, her look, and personality. After watching her reveal trailer, I later played Uprising to learn more about her. I'm primarily a big Legend of Zelda fan, so having another Nintendo character I enjoy outside of that is pretty refreshing.

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
i like her cause shes cute and her movement speed is nice but her default specials.... mostly side b....gross
her tilts need to be faster, utilt needs to hit through battlefield platforms before the last hitbox, auto reticle should fire even if the opponent is dodging, and reflect and/or counter should be replaced.

Last edited:

turtle roll

Smash Apprentice
Staff and Shield fighting style is a +1 from me. Her overall personality as described in the first post is a +10. I love flawed but good characters and she pulls it of perfectly. And obviously +100 for da booty.

Top Bottom