• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Aesthetic Toggle

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
So, costumes. We all know them, we all have our favourites. But I've been having something in mind that could make each character a little bit more personalized to fit how the player likes them. In a similar fashion to how Miis can be customized with a piece of headgear and a set of clothing for the rest of the body, I thought it would be cool if we could have a toggle for all (or just most) characters to switch certain things about them on or off or change certain features with this simple toggle. Think about stuff like, fighting as Mario with his hat on, or without his hat. This would be a toggle for every single, or at least where applicable (something like capless Link would obviously only affect his Tunic of the Wild outfit.. or, actually, on second thought, the toggle could put this cap onto his Champion's tunic, possibly). My idea would be that upon selecting a character, there would be a small button near your selected character's portrait which would be the toggle for your particular character.

I've tried to come up with an idea for every character, maybe more where I can think of more for the character; that list is below in the spoiler tab. I'm not as familiar with some characters as I am with others, of course, but hey, that's where you guys come in. Would you like this feature? And what would be your ideas? Feel free to mention toggles for possible alternate costumes that aren't in the game (yet) as well. No unconfirmed characters though!

:ultmario: - Capless, hatless, helmetless
:ultluigi: - Capless
:ultpeach: - Ponytail hair, Toad color toggle
:ultdaisy: - Toad color toggle
:ultbowser: - (If he got his wedding outfit) Hatless
:ultbowserjr: - No bandana, Clown Car style toggle (Koopaling style or Bowser Jr style)
:ultrosalina: - Ponytail hair
:ultdoc: - Pants color (because in official Dr. Mario games they've always been white, but in Smash they've always been black)
:ultpiranha: - Pipe or Pot toggle

:ultyoshi: - Woolly/Plushy texture (which would allow Yoshi to have 8 alts while still having this unique optional look for him)

:ultdk: - Tieless
- Boxing gloves, possibly a DK Jr shirt ( idea credit Kevandre Kevandre )
:ultdiddy: - Capless, backwards cap + sunglasses
:ultkrool: - Capeless (can't do crownless as it's used for attack, and is used as a visual reminder on whether he still has it or not)

:ultwario: - Helmet/hatless

:ultlink: - Cap(less)
:ultzelda: - Capeless
:ultganondorf: - Capeless
:ultsheik: - Hair length toggle (since the only canon conception of her, OoT, only depicts short hair)
:ultyounglink: - Toggling between Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask-style sword and shield/mask toggle (could be the Keaton Mask like he has in Hyrule Warriors)
:ulttoonlink: - Capless

:ultsamus: - Helmetless/Visorless
:ultzss: - Loose hair
:ultridley: - No idea. I don't think a Meta Ridley toggle would be easy enough
:ultdarksamus: - ....helmetless? No idea here

:ultkirby: - Considering his hats already change him quite considerably.. but his design otherwise being pretty simple.. a Smash 64 look toggle?
:ultmetaknight: - Maskless
:ultkingdedede: - Masked

:ultfox: - Scannerless
:ultfalco: - Scannerless
:ultwolf: - No eye patch

:ultpikachu: - Gender
:ultjigglypuff: - No idea
:ultmewtwo: - Movie armor?
:ultpichu: - Spiky-Eared Pichu toggle (allowing Spiky Ear with clothing items)
:ultpokemontrainer: - Trainer toggle, to allow both trainers to have all sets of color variations for the Pokémon
:ultlucario: - Sir Aaron's hat?
:ultgreninja: - Not sure (would say Ash Greninja, but that would probably be a more proper alt that would need to be fully recolored for each alt)
:ultincineroar: - No idea

:ultfalcon: - Scarf tucked in or out, helmetless

:ultness: - Hatless
:ultlucas: - Hair color toggle, with the second variation being that for Claus' color

:ulticeclimbers: - Lead Climber toggle

:ultmarth: - Capeless
:ultroy: - Capeless
:ultike: - Capeless
:ultrobin:
  • Hooded
    • Mute
    • Grima-Possessed
      • Distorted voice
  • Unhooded
    • Grima-Possessed
      • Distorted voice ( Robin ideas credit Frizz Frizz )
:ultlucina: - Keeping her mask on permanently; capeless
:ultcorrin: - Capeless
:ultchrom: - Capeless (I can't think of much else for most of the Fire Emblem cast that wouldn't completely alter their appearance and would no longer be considered a toggle, sorry)

:ultgnw: - Pre-Ultimate looks toggle (G&W idea credit Penroze Penroze )

:ultpit: - Maybe a toggle where he wears the Three Sacred Treasures? Maybe no laurel crown?
:ultpalutena: - No laurel crown?
:ultdarkpit: - See Pit

:ultolimar: - Purple/Rock Pikmin toggle

:ultrob: - Toggle of what it says on its base (for both the Famicom and NES versions)

:ultvillager: - Hairstyle and/or face toggle
:ultisabelle: - Glasses toggle (since she is seen wearing them in her casual outfit)

:ultlittlemac: - Wireframe

:ultwiifittrainer: - Not sure, hairstyle?

:ultshulk: - Monado/Monado II toggle (Shulk idea credit @faygoshill )

:ultduckhunt: - Seperate duck color toggle

:ultinkling: - Ink and tentacle color toggle (without allowing multiple of the same ink color unless there's a team battle)

:ultsnake: - Beard toggle

:ultsonic: - No idea...

:ultmegaman: - Helmetless (still shocked this wasn't even an alt by the way)

:ultpacman: - Ms. Pac Man feature toggles (eyelashes, bow, maybe lipstick)

:ultryu: - No bandana? Evil Ryu aura?
:ultken: - Violent Ken aura?

:ultcloud: - Buster Sword/Fusion Swords toggle

:ultbayonetta: - Scarborough Fair/Love is Blue toggle

:ultsimon: - Hairstyle maybe?
:ultrichter: - Also hairstyle maybe? Not familiar enough with Castlevania unfortunately

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Yes, it would be nice if they put some more effort into character customization.

BXBX

Smash Cadet
DLC costumes would sell so well for this type of game, but of course we probably wont get anything like that.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Well this isn't really for DLC costumes, it's simply an idea that toggles certain aesthetics about the character you play; like whether Mario is wearing a hat or not, regardless of costume. And I doubt this idea will be implemented as DLC, and IF it ever gets implemented in the series (which I also doubt) I don't expect it until the next Smash after Ultimate, at launch (so not as DLC). But I had the idea and wanted to share it regardless, and see if it was an idea people would be excited for.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I love this concept. Mind if I add a bit to it?
:ultrobin: - Hood on
I personally think that Robin should be mute as well. Whenever he was in a cutscene in Awakening, he was always hooded and mute. It'd also be a callback to him having a mute voice option in the Japanese version of Awakening.

Another suggestion I have is to give him a Grima-like aura with red eye colors. Could be either hooded or un-hooded, wouldn't really matter that much. And maybe distort his voice a bit too to add to the "possessed" aesthetic.

So to reiterate, here's what I would add to your idea:
:ultrobin: aesthetics:
  • Hooded
    • Mute
    • Grima-Possessed
      • Distorted voice
  • Unhooded
    • Grima-Possessed
      • Distorted voice

I love default :ultrobin: sometimes, but I wouldn't mind playing as a Hooded variant of him sometimes.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
For :ultgnw:, I might be misunderstanding the concept and suggesting something that's too big to just be a toggle, but maybe a toggle to have him stay more on-model like he was in the past few games and not be switching designs every time he attacks. I feel like that'll be a bit distracting for some people from time to time.

D

Deleted member

I had an idea for Shulk that idk if it would be too big or not, but the toggle could give him the Monado 2 (which has small differences then the regular Monado but looks way sexier)

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
Why stop at such minor things? I wonder why we don't have other amazing skin options that wouldn't have to affect hitboxes or anything. Why can't Bowser have a Dry Bowser skin for example? Why can't DK get a Funky Kong appearance when they are VERY VERY close in size? Those would both be similar to how Olimar becomes Alph. Maybe if they wanted they could change things a bit even if it DID affect hit boxes (but of course this wouldn't really bug the casual player and the competitive types would just pick the META form anyway) like I have seen some demand for the princesses Paisy to have their sportier outfits in lieu of their royal dresses. Would that even really affect hitboxes? I mean I do not think Paisy's hitbox has her puffy dress included? Anyway, you get where I am coming from.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I love this concept. Mind if I add a bit to it?

I personally think that Robin should be mute as well. Whenever he was in a cutscene in Awakening, he was always hooded and mute. It'd also be a callback to him having a mute voice option in the Japanese version of Awakening.

Another suggestion I have is to give him a Grima-like aura with red eye colors. Could be either hooded or un-hooded, wouldn't really matter that much. And maybe distort his voice a bit too to add to the "possessed" aesthetic.

So to reiterate, here's what I would add to your idea:
:ultrobin: aesthetics:
  • Hooded
    • Mute
    • Grima-Possessed
      • Distorted voice
  • Unhooded
    • Grima-Possessed
      • Distorted voice

I love default :ultrobin: sometimes, but I wouldn't mind playing as a Hooded variant of him sometimes.
Yes! These are excellent ideas. I have to be honest that I never got too far into Fire Emblem Awakening, but I do remember people telling me Robin got possessed at some point; I just didn't know about any aesthetic changes to him/her during that point, but this would definitely be a good toggle option for them. Bonus points for this technically adding another villain to the cast with very minimal effort as well (I assume, at least), so this gets ALL of my yes. Although just for clarity; while hooded and Grima-Possessed, he won't be mute?

For :ultgnw:, I might be misunderstanding the concept and suggesting something that's too big to just be a toggle, but maybe a toggle to have him stay more on-model like he was in the past few games and not be switching designs every time he attacks. I feel like that'll be a bit distracting for some people from time to time.
I was thinking this too when I was making the list, but thought this might've been a little too big of a change for it to be a toggle. Considering they could simply just re-use G&W's Smash 4 looks for this though, I suppose it could still work, in this particular case.

I had an idea for Shulk that idk if it would be too big or not, but the toggle could give him the Monado 2 (which has small differences then the regular Monado but looks way sexier)
Hrmm. I was unaware that there even was a Monado 2. After looking it up though, I can see why people could prefer that one. Of course it should keep all the same abilities as the regular Monado (so no extra power or extra range or anything like that; I'm not sure what Monado 2 has over the regular), but it could work.

I'll add these to the opening post; thanks very much for the ideas! :yoshi:

Why stop at such minor things? I wonder why we don't have other amazing skin options that wouldn't have to affect hitboxes or anything. Why can't Bowser have a Dry Bowser skin for example? Why can't DK get a Funky Kong appearance when they are VERY VERY close in size? Those would both be similar to how Olimar becomes Alph. Maybe if they wanted they could change things a bit even if it DID affect hit boxes (but of course this wouldn't really bug the casual player and the competitive types would just pick the META form anyway) like I have seen some demand for the princesses Paisy to have their sportier outfits in lieu of their royal dresses. Would that even really affect hitboxes? I mean I do not think Paisy's hitbox has her puffy dress included? Anyway, you get where I am coming from.
See, these would be considered proper alternate costumes, and that would require much more work for the developers. My idea was to make simple aesthetic changes that you could toggle mostly regardless of costume, such as putting on a hat or taking it off, without altering the actual model too much. Of course I would love to have Dry Bowser, or Funky Kong, or sports-outfit Peach/Daisy, but these are too big of a difference for this idea to work.

Last edited:

Tiltedssb

Smash Cadet
I find that helmet racist plz take it out of the game thank you

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
Yes! These are excellent ideas. I have to be honest that I never got too far into Fire Emblem Awakening, but I do remember people telling me Robin got possessed at some point; I just didn't know about any aesthetic changes to him/her during that point, but this would definitely be a good toggle option for them. Bonus points for this technically adding another villain to the cast with very minimal effort as well (I assume, at least), so this gets ALL of my yes. Although just for clarity; while hooded and Grima-Possessed, he won't be mute?

I was thinking this too when I was making the list, but thought this might've been a little too big of a change for it to be a toggle. Considering they could simply just re-use G&W's Smash 4 looks for this though, I suppose it could still work, in this particular case.

Hrmm. I was unaware that there even was a Monado 2. After looking it up though, I can see why people could prefer that one. Of course it should keep all the same abilities as the regular Monado (so no extra power or extra range or anything like that; I'm not sure what Monado 2 has over the regular), but it could work.

I'll add these to the opening post; thanks very much for the ideas! :yoshi:

See, these would be considered proper alternate costumes, and that would require much more work for the developers. My idea was to make simple aesthetic changes that you could toggle mostly regardless of costume, such as putting on a hat or taking it off, without altering the actual model too much. Of course I would love to have Dry Bowser, or Funky Kong, or sports-outfit Peach/Daisy, but these are too big of a difference for this idea to work.
Oh I get it now! My bad. Okay yeah, very minor cosmetic issues, and I am super on board with ponytail Paisy =P

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I love these.

Richter should have options for his overcoat and long hair from Symphony of the Night, and Simon can have his red hair from Chronicles toggleable. That's all be really neat. Being able to toggle Snake's beard and age, too! This is a cool idea. It's like a really rudimentary version of Tekken's customization.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Oh I get it now! My bad. Okay yeah, very minor cosmetic issues, and I am super on board with ponytail Paisy =P
It's all good! I do hope they add all your ideas at some point through some updates (or in Funky Kong's case, probably make him a cheap/free Echo Fighter since I think his personality is too different to make him a simple alternate costume), but yeah, these toggles are indeed mostly for minor changes like the ponytail. :)

The Crafted alt should've been an extra set of 8 alts for Yoshi to begin with...
Very much agreed, and I honestly really thought this would be the case with the reveal of that alternate, or at LEAST have that green one be an extra and not replace black Yoshi. I'll admit that my Yoshi bias lead to this idea in the first place, as this idea would technically keep that restriction of 'max of 8 costumes per character' but still have some minor customisation options; in Yoshi's case, applying the woolly/crafted filter over his body.

I love these.

Richter should have options for his overcoat and long hair from Symphony of the Night, and Simon can have his red hair from Chronicles toggleable. That's all be really neat. Being able to toggle Snake's beard and age, too! This is a cool idea. It's like a really rudimentary version of Tekken's customization.
I think Richter having his overcoat would count more as a proper alternate costume, unfortunately. I knew both of these characters had different costumes in different games in the series, but that would go beyond the toggle, which is why I simply stuck with the hair options with my ideas for them. Do you know of any small changes for them, maybe, beyond the hair?

D

Deleted member

Something about this made me very uncomfortable. DK needs his tie lol
Its because without his tie he would be completely naked, and that's a thought too disturbing for the human mind

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Characters that have different costumes like Mario, Kirby, Link, and visual variations between games like Zelda, they could really have different skins, like a Tanooki Mario, Fire Mario, Zelda from BOTW... In the game, most of the changes are just on colors, it could be better.

Last edited:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Something about this made me very uncomfortable. DK needs his tie lol
Well, do you have a better idea for DK? If you do then please do let me know. :p The reason I mentioned tieless was because he also had no tie in the original arcade games; he didn't have the tie until his DKC redesign. (Edit: actually, I think it was the Gameboy version of Donkey Kong that added the tie, now that I think about it.)

Characters that have different costumes like Mario, Kirby, Link, and visual variations between games like Zelda, they could really have different skins, like a Tanooki Mario, Fire Mario, Zelda from BOTW... In the game, most of the changes are just on colors, it could be better.
As I already said above, these types of things are more proper alternate costumes that would not go with this toggle idea, which would only focus on minor changes such as putting Mario's cap on or off. Not to say I don't agree with you, of course. Also, Kirby arguably already has a lot of costume variation due to his copy ability, and adding aesthetics for him (like his many hats from his own games) would really mess with his current Smash-specific copy ability hats, especially when you take full-body covering 'hats' into consideration like the one for Samus.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Well, do you have a better idea for DK? If you do then please do let me know. :p The reason I mentioned tieless was because he also had no tie in the original arcade games; he didn't have the tie until his DKC redesign. (Edit: actually, I think it was the Gameboy version of Donkey Kong that added the tie, now that I think about it.)

As I already said above, these types of things are more proper alternate costumes that would not go with this toggle idea, which would only focus on minor changes such as putting Mario's cap on or off. Not to say I don't agree with you, of course. Also, Kirby arguably already has a lot of costume variation due to his copy ability, and adding aesthetics for him (like his many hats from his own games) would really mess with his current Smash-specific copy ability hats, especially when you take full-body covering 'hats' into consideration like the one for Samus.
DK could wear the DK Jr T-Shirt, since there seems to be a 50-50 chance that he is DK Jr, depending on who you listen to. Or maybe his boxing gloves from PunchOut Wii.

CrimsonFlash

Smash Cadet
dk with a buzz cut.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Seems kinda unneccessary?

I'd rather just have a few distinct costumes and a few more alt colors.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
DK could wear the DK Jr T-Shirt, since there seems to be a 50-50 chance that he is DK Jr, depending on who you listen to. Or maybe his boxing gloves from PunchOut Wii.
Oh right! The boxing gloves especially are a good idea. Not too sure about the shirt though, that might be a tad much.

dk with a buzz cut.
Now that's something hard to imagine. lol

Seems kinda unneccessary?

I'd rather just have a few distinct costumes and a few more alt colors.
Well, see, the idea here is that it would be minor changes that alternate costumes would not be able to provide, unless you want 'Two red-shirt, blue-overall Marios except one has no hat' or something like that. I'm also not saying this idea is necessary, but then, are actual alternate costumes beyond simple recolors necessary? No they're not, but they're still very nice to have, just like this potential toggle option. Of course I would love more distinct costumes and alternate colors too, but these changes would be minor and easier to develop (at least easier than more drastic model changes with proper costumes). So part of the reason for this suggestion, is giving us more costume variety, for very little effort.

Top Bottom