• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chapter 4: It's Not A Fight

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
They say you can make friends anywhere on the planet: even on a battlefield. There are Smashers that I only know through tournaments. Without any coordination us Smashers make an agreement to keep smashing and going to tournaments so we can fight again. After all, we wouldn’t want to deprive ourselves of the chance for a rematch. Sometimes years go by before we see each other again. We might not remember each other’s names or faces at first, but only after seconds of playing with them again it all comes back. You remember the stages you played on, and the venues where the tournaments were held. You remember the look on their face when they squeezed out that miracle win, and they certainly remember the dance you did when you snatched victory from what seemed like hopelessness. In such a short time, you feel like you’ve caught up from all those years, and you can’t wait to show each other all the new techniques and tricks you’ve been working on when the time comes on the battlefield.

There’s something about the nature of one’s character that that comes out in a fight. By playing the game you’ll find the answers to many questions. Will they do whatever it takes to win? Will they bend the rules? Will they cheat? Will they follow their own code of honor? Will they play for fun or for money? But the questions that are more important are: Will I learn something about my opponent? The Game? Myself? Life?<!--more-->

I’ve learned a lot. I’ve learned that I can’t escape from myself, even in a video game. I learned that when I play smash, it’s me in there. With Kirby as my avatar, I fought in my own style because I couldn’t do anything else. It turns out that I never wanted to win. I just wanted to be a part of the awesomeness that was OC3. I wanted to play and match many great players to see just how far Kirby could go. I’ve detailed Kirby’s shortcomings on papers, but I wanted to see it for myself. Call it dedication or stubbornness it’s over now.

I lost. Not only did I lose, but I did about as badly as I could have done. Yet I feel victorious. I tried for so long to hold on to my Kirby identity knowing it was a losing battle. Before, I couldn’t stop playing Kirby because that’s where my happiness was. It just wasn’t the same playing the other characters. Now, I can finally let go of Kirby. Fighting with the worst character in the game against the best characters and players in the world helped me understand something about Smashers.

After going to enough tournaments and seeing enough battles I understand the thing that binds us is Smash. As different as we are, we all have this one thing in common, and that’s enough to put everything else aside. And when Brawl comes out, we’ll all come together again not to fight, but to Smash. We fight everyday to build our lives, but when it comes down to the game is more than that. It’s not a fight. It’s Smash: a way of life.

Keep Smashin!

A

awesome ivan

totally! keep smashing! its not a way of life for me cause’ of my little bros. but whenever i play, it gets me hooked and i have to be torn away. its the best game ever! brawl - is - going - to - be - be - be… AWESOME!

C

Cold Stone

Seriously! Why, after all these years, can i keep going back to the same formula time and time again. this game has the greatest replay value i’ve ever seen…granted, i never got into halo, but i was a golden eye fanatic at one point, and smash is totally out of golden eye’s league. As far as halo… smash was here long before halo, and i predict it will still be here long after halo’s time has past…

R

ravenkikas

Man your words are inspiring, i’m from Portugal and i went to a tournament here too this weekend. Last year I made some really good rivals in the tournament and this year I couldn’t recognize the faces of many of them but when the combat started it all came back to me. Just by watching the skills i was able to remember lots of players that fought me last year! It’s a incredible sensation of rivalry and at the same time fellowship, respect, even in defeats there’s allways complements, happines, your words say it all, just to say that i know what you sad and many smash fans know too and that’s what bind us all i guess. Brawl will make that feeling even stronger.

H

homelessvagrant

Hmm, I guess I should be happy that you’ve found peace kirbykid…….but still you giving up kirby saddens me. I’ve heard of your stubborn acts to bring kirby to top tier and for a moment I believed it. You inspired me to go back to my old character pikachu after your speech long ago. I had abandoned him for the stronger Captain F and was making immpressive results in learning new techniques. But alas I still could not reach the level of the captain.

Can we never win? Was I so foolish to believe that I could make a difference and beat the tiers? I hope not, brawl is so soon and…… I want to show that like you had before that the tiers were faulted and to get past them is possible. I just hope you aren’t giving up Kirby for a top tier but rather a different gaming experience.

Still I must thank you for getting me back to playing the electric rodent. The game has become refreshing again since.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
The reason why I’m giving up Kirby is very specific to my situation. All my friends play a very high level of competitive play. Not only can Kirby not keep up, but he makes the battles slow, and to be honest boring.

Also, I’m putting away smash until Brawl comes out. When I go to school, I don’t have anyone to play with anyway, so I wouldn’t have been practicing anyway. My big tournaments for the summer are over, so it only makes sense.

Pikachu isn’t as bad off as Kirby. Keep playing him. Read the final chapter to know what I mean.

H

homelessvagrant

Thanks Kirbykid, much obliged

lets just hope that when brawl comes out that Kirby may be better and more enjoyment to you. Of course there’s also Meta Knight in brawl….

thanks again, I’ll keep getting better till brawl comes out.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Kirby was my SSB64 main when I played before Melee [and ever since I picked SSB64 up I’ve mained Mario]. Let us hope he pwns in Brawl…maybe not as much as in SSB64! XD

And good read Kirbykid btw! =D Definitely inspiring, and here’s to good tier balance in Brawl [not that the previous two smash entries were unbalanced].

I tried keeping Kirby as my main when I got Melee, but Link and Fox were just…my style. A style that is hard to define, and always changing. Who knows, in 3 years from now when I still play Melee [It will take more than a apocolypse to stop me from playing Melee], I’ll main Bowser, and secondary Shiek, Pichu, and Ice Climbers [my worst characters].

I wouldn’t doubt that, since Mario was my worst originally in SSB64! XD

Top Bottom