• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changing what people think of Smash 64

LAS | Wookiee

Smash Uurr Ahhrr Uhrrrr Ahhrrrr Aaaaaargh
I was recently browsing on reddit and stumbled upon a post, like where many people have said in the past "If you get touched in smash 64, you are dead." So for once I finally said something about it. I think the community as a whole needs to start doing a better job of getting the message across that this game doesn't work like that at all, especially to potential players. So my question to you all, is there any "Smash 64 stereotypes" that are completely wrong that we need to start correcting? I think this could go a long way on changing peoples views on the game.

Shears

Smash Master
-Every character has a 0-death on every other character from every single move from anywhere on any stage
-No one plays this game
-Only Isai plays this game
-Isai has never lost
-Falcon combos are banned
-Pika is cheating
-Pika is a rat
-Luigi-Kirby is 80-20
-If you want to combo you just play street fighter
-M2K is the best at this game without every playing it
-Kero, at some point or another, banged someones mom (it turned out it was just his own cousin)

Dark Horse

Smash Cadet
-There are no scenes for this game
-Games/consoles/controllers are hard to find
-Shears is good at this game
-Blue hat Pika is the best

Bark Sanchez

Smash Apprentice
Falcon is hard
Kirby is hard
Yoshi is hard
Fox is hard
Jiggly is hard
Mario is hard
Dk is hard
Samus is hard
Ness is hard
Luigi is hard
Link is hard

SSBMagy

Smash Cadet
-No one can beat Isai
-It doesn't exist (Mainly Melee people who think the first smash game was SSBM)
-If you play it, your controller will instantly break (I hear this alot, not sure about you guys)

Daniel Mears

Smash Rookie
LD is un-edgeguardable.

Game mechanics/controls are wonky and not precise.
N64 controller is wonky and not precise.

Low tier characters are trash.

SSBMagy

Smash Cadet
I think the worst are people who think its less skillful than melee because its not as fast paced.
Yeah, that is pretty annoying. But all melee fans do is talk about how good it is, and how bad everything else is. I'm pretty sure most of them don't even play it.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
I have always tried to spread more love to Smash 64. Since it's the most balanced game of every smash game. Yes. I'm saying this. In this game any character could be extremely good and powerful. Yoshi being a low tier can actually rekt even a Fox or a Pikachu. I have done it many times.

LAS | Wookiee

Smash Uurr Ahhrr Uhrrrr Ahhrrrr Aaaaaargh
I have always tried to spread more love to Smash 64. Since it's the most balanced game of every smash game. Yes. I'm saying this. In this game any character could be extremely good and powerful. Yoshi being a low tier can actually rekt even a Fox or a Pikachu. I have done it many times.
yoshi being a low tier? did you see apex? haha

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
In the current tier list he is. I know he has some amazing combos with Down air and his parry is amazing. And in the game i'm a Yoshi main. So I know how powerful he can be. But other characters have an easier time with Yoshi and doing combos. And yoshi has a bad recovery too.

Sangoku

Smash Master
1) Yoshi's down air isn't good, except on shields.

2) His recovery is great and is one of the reason I play him.

3) He isn't low tier, I think the distinction is made just below him.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
1) Yoshi's down air isn't good, except on shields.

2) His recovery is great and is one of the reason I play him.

3) He isn't low tier, I think the distinction is made just below him.
His recovery is great at low percents. But at higher porcents, his armor can be broken and he will fall to his death.

Down air is really good for racking up damage in the middle of a combo.

I also think that Yoshi is a great character. But he has weaknesses.

Sangoku

Smash Master
1) Yeah at high percent when you would die with any char. At least he doesn't die at low percent from a quick grab&gimp, unlike characters whose recoveries are actually bad.

2) Down air doesn't work against someone who DIs, ie any decent player. It can be usable as a damage rack up move against a defensive Jigglypuff for example, by going far and high before using it, but that's not in a combo.

3) So he went from "low tier" to "great character who has weaknesses"? Any "great characters" has weaknesses too.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
In the current tier list he is. I know he has some amazing combos with Down air and his parry is amazing. And in the game i'm a Yoshi main. So I know how powerful he can be. But other characters have an easier time with Yoshi and doing combos. And yoshi has a bad recovery too.
Any combo with down air is not amazing unless it only hits once or twice.

Yoshi is not low tier

Yoshi has one of the best recoveries in the game. What is your source of information?

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Well yeah. I have been more into Smash 4 competitive scene. But back my Smash 64 group in Facebook I was so active with Yoshi. Doing all kinds of stuff and playing with Yoshi, Kirby, Mario, Luigi and other characters. I was so active in Kaillera. But then I got Smash 4 and I forgot about every other Smash game.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I do not recommend that. Time spent in melee will slow you down or set you back in 64.
In my experience as both a 64 and Melee player, I've found that playing both games has actually helped me improve. However, I play different characters in both games and I know that this may not be true for everyone.

Morin0

Smash Lord
I think THE Z has said before that playing Melee helps his combo game in 64. I think there are some things to be learned from those games that can be applied in 64 or Melee. Generally, the Melee players that I've played in 64 are pretty decent, and I like to attribute that to their experience in Melee. When I play Melee, some people have told me that I play like a 64 player. Is my 64-esque gameplay an advantage? WHO KNOWS.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
"all the smash 64 guys are just like.... so chill and wanna just play the game. They don't care about esports or tournaments they just play for fun"

here's one i hear some much that i throw up in my mouth a little bit when i hear it now. It's actually not that bad of a stereotype but i just hear it regurgitated so much i feel like most people who say it have never met a 64 player

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
In my experience as both a 64 and Melee player, I've found that playing both games has actually helped me improve. However, I play different characters in both games and I know that this may not be true for everyone.
I think THE Z has said before that playing Melee helps his combo game in 64. I think there are some things to be learned from those games that can be applied in 64 or Melee. Generally, the Melee players that I've played in 64 are pretty decent, and I like to attribute that to their experience in Melee. When I play Melee, some people have told me that I play like a 64 player. Is my 64-esque gameplay an advantage? WHO KNOWS.
False cause/confirmation bias. Players who have good fundamentals in smash and fighting games will get at least decent in any game they try. If you think playing a different game helped you improve in another, it's because they have a similar focus on the same fundamentals. If you go into these separate games with the mentality of "I'm going to play melee with 64 playstyle" or vice versa, it's ultimately going to hurt you. Melee doesn't benefit a 64 playstyle and 64 does not benefit a melee playstyle. You might think that it won't hurt you even if you play different characters but unless you have a monstrous amount of time to dedicate to both games, you will start messing up stuff in both games like ledge grab distances, platform landings, L/Zcancels and teching, DI, etc.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
False cause/confirmation bias. Players who have good fundamentals in smash and fighting games will get at least decent in any game they try. If you think playing a different game helped you improve in another, it's because they have a similar focus on the same fundamentals. If you go into these separate games with the mentality of "I'm going to play melee with 64 playstyle" or vice versa, it's ultimately going to hurt you. Melee doesn't benefit a 64 playstyle and 64 does not benefit a melee playstyle. You might think that it won't hurt you even if you play different characters but unless you have a monstrous amount of time to dedicate to both games, you will start messing up stuff in both games like ledge grab distances, platform landings, L/Zcancels and teching, DI, etc.
tell that to wizzrobe

Morin0

Smash Lord
Good points, fire-kun. Some adverse affects with me is that after a lot of Melee, I instinctively try to to waveland onto platforms. Even though what you said is true, I still feel like there are tiny aspects that benefit you from playing, or at least knowing how to play, the other smash game. The only legitimate case of this is when Isai knew about the applicability of shield dropping in Melee before anyone knew about it/thought it was good. I am almost positive that Isai's 64 background helped him out in ye olde days of Melee.

EDIT: I once asked s2j how his 64 background has helped him in Melee, if any, and he said Smash DI.

Last edited:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
tell that to wizzrobe
[...] but unless you have a monstrous amount of time to dedicate to both games, you will start messing up [...]
Good points, fire-kun. Some adverse affects with me is that after a lot of Melee, I instinctively try to to waveland onto platforms. Even though what you said is true, I still feel like there are tiny aspects that benefit you from playing, or at least knowing how to play, the other smash game. The only legitimate case of this is when Isai knew about the applicability of shield dropping in Melee before anyone knew about it/thought it was good. I am almost positive that Isai's 64 background helped him out in ye olde days of Melee.

EDIT: I once asked s2j how his 64 background has helped him in Melee, if any, and he said Smash DI.
Yes because each game has their differences, they can refine aspects of your gameplay that were not as focused in other games. Playing street fighter 4 helped improve my timing since that game requires a lot of 1 and 2 frame links. It also taught me to better recognize option selects and vortex setups. Fortunately, street fighter and smash bros are nothing alike so playing one game didn't affect me in the other.

Yeah it's pretty funny that Isai was so good at smash back then that he beat up noobs in melee mostly through fundamentals alone. Smash DI is also so situational in melee that I think it can hurt you if you try to apply it a little bit more than where you're supposed to use it. Besides fox upair and the few multihit moves that people attempt in melee, trying to smash DI in melee would actually hurt you since you're not DIing optimally.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Yes because each game has their differences, they can refine aspects of your gameplay that were not as focused in other games. Playing street fighter 4 helped improve my timing since that game requires a lot of 1 and 2 frame links. It also taught me to better recognize option selects and vortex setups. Fortunately, street fighter and smash bros are nothing alike so playing one game didn't affect me in the other.

Yeah it's pretty funny that Isai was so good at smash back then that he beat up noobs in melee mostly through fundamentals alone. Smash DI is also so situational in melee that I think it can hurt you if you try to apply it a little bit more than where you're supposed to use it. Besides fox upair and the few multihit moves that people attempt in melee, trying to smash DI in melee would actually hurt you since you're not DIing optimally.
wizzy barely ever plays 64. Also there is certainly overlap between the two games that makes it easier to get into one game after you have learned the other. For instance i am ass at melee but the 2 times i played i was able to effectively l cancel and also tech chasing dynamic is very similiar in both games. There is no doubt that i was more capable of playing melee more than someone who had never played a smash game

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
wizzy barely ever plays 64.
And apparently the same for Isai. Something interesting is that at apex wizzrobe started the day not doing so well, almost getting sent to losers 2 - 0 by barely one stock by Ybombb and then beating mariguas at the end of the day. Being a young player and learning and adapting fast and being at a level where he doesn't need to practice that much is a much more likely explanation than "he played so much melee that his melee skills transferred over". Trying to say the latter would be false cause/confirmation bias.

Last edited:

firo

Smash Ace
Playing melee has sped up my tech skill, spacing, and movement in 64, and 64 has helped my tech chasing, DI, and spacing in melee. Saying that the skills don't cross over is whack, especially if you are playing with a gc adapter.

The games are very similar once you adjust for the differences in shields, grabs, l cancelling, and ledges. Don't let fireblaster convince you otherwise with his false trusims.

Last edited:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Playing competitive melee helped my 64 game tremendously. Not quite as much the other way around.

Due to the speed of the game and more defensive options you generally have a much smaller window to read/react in melee. Dealing with so many split second reads in melee really helped me think faster on my feet in 64.

Last edited:

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
But Smash 64 actually runs in 60 FPS. Every Smash game does.

Top Bottom