• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changing the melee banner with a custom one?

Gamerlolwind

Smash Rookie
hay everyone,
I'm new to melee hacking and i just started my melee hacking, it's been fun so far.

anyways, my question that i have is:

also, i made my own melee banner to replace the default one, but when i import it, gc rebuilder says Wrong BMP?

why and how can i replace the default banner? if i wanted to?

thanx :)

ShowdownBro721

Smash Rookie
If you are talking about the title screen banner, I found that (through texture-dumping via Dolphin) there are multiple textures for that. Unfortunately, each letter in the name is its own image, possibly so that each letter can have its own "flame" animation within them. I don't know if it is possible to hack to have only one image (i.e. your banner). I don't know much coding myself to tell you for sure, but just what I have discovered so far. Sorry if this wasn't any help... I myself have been trying to implement my own banner in my own hack. :(

danny135

Smash Apprentice
He's talking about the image that shows up in the gamecube menus. I'd also like to know how to replace it.

ShockSlayer

Smash Cadet
I know it's doable, the .bnr filetype is mentioned in YAGCD, and I know emu_kidid has a custom icon for Swiss, so I'll ask around.

SS

Gamerlolwind

Smash Rookie
If you are talking about the title screen banner, I found that (through texture-dumping via Dolphin) there are multiple textures for that. Unfortunately, each letter in the name is its own image, possibly so that each letter can have its own "flame" animation within them. I don't know if it is possible to hack to have only one image (i.e. your banner). I don't know much coding myself to tell you for sure, but just what I have discovered so far. Sorry if this wasn't any help... I myself have been trying to implement my own banner in my own hack. :(
um, not exactly what I'm aiming for here, sorry.

He's talking about the image that shows up in the gamecube menus. I'd also like to know how to replace it.
thanx danny135, that's what i want to replace.

I know it's doable, the .bnr filetype is mentioned in YAGCD, and I know emu_kidid has a custom icon for Swiss, so I'll ask around.

SS
thanx SS! can't wait to see what you find out, thanx for the help, man :) i found a .pdf file for GC tool, so i'll try with one of my gc tool programs to see if i can do something with the .bnr. um, would extracting the .bnr file from a swiss file help?

Gamerlolwind

Smash Rookie
I was linked to this: http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/Building_a_Bootable_Disc#ppm2bnr

For the time being this looks like it's Linux only, so I'm gonna see about setting up a VM with Ubuntu and trying this out. In the meantime, if you guys have your own banners already made, export them in Gimp as a .ppm file and if I can get this to work I'll make up a bunch of banners.
okay, that sounds like a good start, :)
i'll use gimp to export my banner as a .ppm file and then send it to you in a PM to try and make it into a banner?
for making my custom banner, i use the same size as the smash default banner?

Gamerlolwind

Smash Rookie
ha guys, it's been a while, what with the site being down and inaccessible from the DDOS attack in july.

i was working the custom banner thing for my melee hack.

hay guys, i found the gc tool: PNG2CARD.

it can take a .png file and convert it to a gamecube compatible banner for .bnr use.

i tried using the program on my windows 7 laptop, but i can't seem to get it to work properly,

any help on how to make it run properly?

thanx :mrgreen:

PNG2CARD by CrowTRobo
---------------------

This tool will convert a PNG image to an array of data suitable for
being used as a banner or icon on a GameCube memory card. This was
written to be used in conjunction with my memory card code that is
now available as part of GCLIB which can be found at:

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/gclib/

PNG2CARD converts 96x32 and 32x32 images which are the size of the
banner and icons respectively. Three image types are supported:
Palette, RGB and RGB with Alpha channel. These get converted to
the three GC formats that they correspond to:

CI8 (8bit color indexed)
RGB5 (5 bits per color)
RGB4A3 (4 bits per color and 3 bits for alpha)

Usage
-----

PNG2CARD <png file> <output file> <array name>

<png file> is the PNG image you want to convert

<output file> is the file you want the array to be written to. If the
file already exists, the data is appended. This way you can output
multiple images to the same file. For instance, when using animated icons.

<array name> is the name you want for the array of image data.

If you get a "libpng warning" about the "iCCP chunk" when using PNG2CARD,
you can just ignore it. The program doesn't use this chunk of the PNG
file so the warning is irrelevant.

Gamerlolwind

Smash Rookie
i messed around with PNG2CARD program a bit and finally got it to work.

anyways after doning that in CMD then i got the smash bros melee opening.bnr file and opened it up in Hexeditor (the program that is used for making he custom .hps file fit porperprly in melee) smash boards guide stuff.

um, for the opening.bnr i found that the description of the banner starts from the offset 01820 to 0149F0 (english text)
and the first letters from offset 00 > 03 are the code for the BNR2 (it contains more than BNR1) Language multi (Europe mostly)

so i took these two bits of offset code from the melee banner and "paste insert" them into my vanguard.bnr (in the same sections as opening.bnr)

then i renamed Vanguard.bnr > opening.bnr and pasted it into melee hack root.

opened it up in GCrebulider and it worked :shock:

but the banner image is messed up, why? and how to fix this?

Gamerlolwind

Smash Rookie
emu_kidid said:
When you paste in the hex editor, make sure it's overwriting and not changing the total size of the file because all the offsets in the file are fixed addresses/size.
so, instead of "paste insert" the codes in, i "paste write'?
also is this process similar to how you made the swiss.bnr for swiss app?
also, when i use PNG2CARD program, it's not that hard to use. when converting the vanguard.png to vanguard.bnr and then opening it in hex editor, the code from 00 > 08? is "unsigned"
unlike the code on a gc .bnr which starts with BNR code. when pasting the code for BNR in the .bnr custom it becomes readable by GC rebulider.
i still can't get the image to appear properly.
the read me of the png2card says that the 96x36 is for the banner and 32x32 is for the icon for the memcard.
images of the hex editing Opening.bnr (melee):
BNR2 code 00 > 03:

offset 01820 > 019F0

this is where im currently at with my banner. the custom text/info etc works, but the image is messed up.
any helpful info on how to fix it?
thanx you guys :) glad Smashboards site is back up again :) i missed this site.

Gamerlolwind

Smash Rookie
yesterday i finally cracked the issue of the custom banner

i thought about using an ancient TGA2BNR app to make the bnr file with the correct image,

and it hit me, the program that can convert easily a TGA file to BNR file is GCbanner 0.3 by looser!

so, i got the .jpeg image i wanted to make as a banner:

steps for making my BNR:

1) i took the vanguard.jpeg image and plugged it into Infranview (i figured since it can convert images to .ppm and etc formats (thanx to Shockslayer for this info on .ppm files) :) , then why not .tga file?)

2) conveted the vanguard image to .tga with resize of 96 x 32 for GC banner requirements.

3) used CMD to launch the GCbanner app and used b command to convert the vanguard.tga -> vanguard.bnr, and it worked!
file size is 7 kb.

4) then i plugged it into the root melee hack, opened the (root)folde in GCrebulider and it shows up perfectly fine! :joyful:

Tsukimaru

Smash Rookie
yesterday i finally cracked the issue of the custom banner

i thought about using an ancient TGA2BNR app to make the bnr file with the correct image,

and it hit me, the program that can convert easily a TGA file to BNR file is GCbanner 0.3 by looser!

so, i got the .jpeg image i wanted to make as a banner:

steps for making my BNR:

1) i took the vanguard.jpeg image and plugged it into Infranview (i figured since it can convert images to .ppm and etc formats (thanx to Shockslayer for this info on .ppm files) :) , then why not .tga file?)

2) conveted the vanguard image to .tga with resize of 96 x 32 for GC banner requirements.

3) used CMD to launch the GCbanner app and used b command to convert the vanguard.tga -> vanguard.bnr, and it worked!
file size is 7 kb.

4) then i plugged it into the root melee hack, opened the (root)folde in GCrebulider and it shows up perfectly fine! :joyful:

....SNAP....:SHOTS......PLEASE.....NEED.....TO....SEE....THIS......WORKING..............Sorry for that, i wast jeezing my pants after reading that it worked :p jk

Top Bottom