• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changing character voices...

Controlled_Chaos

Smash Cadet
My friends and I want to voice over our mains and the announcer.

We've had a hard time finding out how. Could anyone please send us a tutorial? (Or be so kind to explain it right here)

Thanks! :)

WalkingAngel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalkingAngel
3DS FC
1289-8866-4008
Wait a moment you guys yourself? And Project M 3.0 and higher already use a replacement sound code so there should be a folder called 'sfx'. If you have any sawnd files rename to the characters soundbank number and place them there. (i.e Marios soundbank number is 8 therefore you would name it 8.sawnd) Sorry I forgot the other characters soundbank numbers. I also don't know about the announcer sorry.

Last edited:

Controlled_Chaos

Smash Cadet
Nope.

I found a program, that changed .brsar, and turned it into sfx. Seemed like what I needed. Only problem is that I cant import my own voices.
It says it accept .wav files, but only if I get some other files, that I cant find. (sndconv.exe, dsptool.dll, soundfile.dll)

If you have any more help to give me, I would be very happy.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
@ Amazerommu Amazerommu

The all knowing SFX guru guy.
Heeheeeee
Nope.

I found a program, that changed .brsar, and turned it into sfx. Seemed like what I needed. Only problem is that I cant import my own voices.
It says it accept .wav files, but only if I get some other files, that I cant find. (sndconv.exe, dsptool.dll, soundfile.dll)

If you have any more help to give me, I would be very happy.
Those thingies you need are included with Super Sawndz in this nifty little pack of mine. Here: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=31507&Vault=audio

Now that is an older version of Super Sawndz, but hey I still use it haha. It'll get the job done for ya though.

Edit:
Were you successful?
Also the badassery of you representing Kill la Kill's Jakuzure Nonon... oh... my... gawd... (just-watched-episode-23-minutes-ago-oh-em-gee-double-you-tee-eff-insanity-overload-can't-contain!)

Last edited:

Controlled_Chaos

Smash Cadet
All hail the SFX guru!

But seriously, this looks like what I need. If I fail again, I'll return here.

Thank you everyoe for your help! My friends and I cant wait to change the voices :3

sushifreAk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cyb3Rnite
3DS FC
4554-0880-9460
I thought sndconv.exe, dsptool.dll and soundfile.dll were part of the Wii SDK and were illegal to distribute?
Eh, whatever. It's not like anyone would care, right? :p

SmashBrosFighter

Smash Rookie
You'll need these 3 files to convert sounds between standard WAV files, and the sound file format used by Wii games. They are sndconv.exe, soundfile.dll, and dsptool.dll. The 2 dll files are just dependencies of the exe file. So you only need to worry about using the EXE file. All 3 of them are part of the Nintendo's Revolution SDK, which has all the tools needed to make games for the Wii (if you know how to use them, which is REALLY complicated, and even I don't know how to use them all, and haven't even made one simple homebrew app with them). But for what you are doing, it is pretty simple to use this one EXE file.
The usage information (as seen when running it with no input parameters) for the exe file is:
SNDCONV <inputfile> [-option]
Where:
<scriptfile>.......Script file (required)

Options are:
-a.................Default output to ADPCM
-w.................Default output to 16bit PCM
-b.................Default output to 8bit PCM
-h.................This help text.

The input file is required, but the extended information calls it a "scriptfile" (not simply "inputfile" which sounds like the input is supposed to be a WAV file or other similar audio input file), and I have no idea what type of script it is expecting. I was lucky enough to find a leaked copy of the SDK, which is where I got the files from, but I don't know what the format of the script file is. Is it more INI like, or more XML like? I can't find any documentation on it. I assume the script probably references the actual audio source file, and also possibly some specs, like clipping times if you don't want to use the full source audio file.

Since it seems like you are in desperate need for a copy of this program, I've uploaded this program (the exe and 2 dlls) to filesharing site filetea.me. Below are the 3 links, one per file, to download this program.
sndconv.exe https://filetea.me/t1s9KNGZrLqQSOyudjc8zjFMA
soundfile.dll https://filetea.me/t1sZNftp9oMQOylrQfmpfqV1Q
dsptool.dll https://filetea.me/t1seUBEd7YISjiAoXg1RrowgA

Note that since this site describes itself as volatile (not permanent) and anonymous (no account required to upload) file sharing, that probably means that they periodically delete their uploads, so you should download these files before they are automatically deleted. I'm not sure how long it is, but maybe the links are only good for a day.

And don't ask me to upload the the RAR files for the entire SDK. That would probably get Nintendo's attention, and they might send their lawyers after me. I doubt they'll worry about the upload of just a single tool that to the average user is only useful for homebrew and mods though. So I feel comfortable uploading what I have, but not the entire SDK.

Last edited:

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
I hope you people don't mind me bumping an answered thread but it is related; Why is it when I make a customized 329.sawnd file, Crazy Hand's file, and use PSA to change my character's SFX ID triggers to the respective IDs via this page, it doesn't work? Only silence ensues in-game and it's somewhat frustrating.

Last edited:

Montimers

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't work because if you just do that you're calling for a sound that wasn't loaded in the memory. You have to change the soundbank loaded for the character to match Crazy Hand's one, either with a gecko code or via brawlEx, if you're using that for your psa.

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't work because if you just do that you're calling for a sound that wasn't loaded in the memory. You have to change the soundbank loaded for the character to match Crazy Hand's one, either with a gecko code or via brawlEx, if you're using that for your psa.
Thanks for the help! Unfortunately I have done this (and yes, it is the correct gecko code), but it still does not work. It seems like everything should work in theory, but it just does not....

Montimers

Smash Apprentice
It also says Crazy Hand's soundbank is 322. I don't have my brawl files now, I can't check this properly. Did you write 329 in your code?

Top Bottom