• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changing Blend Modes for 2.5D textures

Brandondorf9999

Smash Cadet
This is the tutorial I want to share to all you smash hackers. It has come to the point where blend modes should become customized to all models with alpha channel used. The blending entries are like the blend info as in the BMD models, but ends with 0F on the 4 byte entry for most files and next to the entry of 03 07 00 07.

Tools Needed:
  1. Hex Editor
  2. Dolphin Emulator (needed to preview the difference)
  3. GC-Rebuilder (to replace and export dat/usd files)
The entry on dat and usd files follows this:

The first byte is the blend equation, the 2nd is the source blend and the third is the destination (which would provide the transparency).

Here are a list of transparency blending modes for these 3 entries:

Blend Equations:
  1. Add
  2. Subtract
  3. Reverse Subtract
  4. Min
  5. Max
Source & Destination Blend modes:
  1. Zero
  2. One
  3. Source Color
  4. Inverse Source Color
  5. Source Alpha
  6. Inverse Source Alpha
  7. Destination Alpha
  8. Inverse Destination Alpha

Here are 4 example photos of the altered blending for the interfaces in-game:

I have not found the blending for 3D models and effects and is not editable yet at this point.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
I am very curious in how you found that structure. Seems to be that last reference by the material structure

Last edited:

Brandondorf9999

Smash Cadet
Or some of these unknowns in the Texture structure?:

View attachment 97634
That structure on an unknown is just plain transparency. The blend stucture follows in a four byte entry aside from the texture tree like this for example "01 04 05 0F" or "01 04 05 05". The add blend equation for every normal and non-subtractive models are 01, not 03.

Last edited:

Brandondorf9999

Smash Cadet
Oh then maybe you could explain some flags in the material structure I dont understand.
The first flag is the blend equation that does the operations to add, subtract or another type of blend. The 2nd flag is the source blending that handles the transparency on the foreground and the 3rd one blends it through the background. If you're unsatisfied with it, you can google "blend function" on how it works or you could use this tool at Anders Riggelsen's website.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
That structure on an unknown is just plain transparency.
Which "unknown" are you referring to?

I was wondering if you knew what any of the unknowns are in the Texture Structure (the unknowns listed in the image I posted). They can also be seen here.

What zankyou was asking was whether you might know what other unknown values/flags are in the Material Structure. Apparently (or according to zankyou), what you've found is at 0x14 in the Material Structure?

zankyou

Smash Lord
Finally tried incoporating this into my stage imports.
I dont really know anything about this but just going off of pattern recognition, I believe the source and destination blend flags start at 0 and not 1. So subtract one for the values in the OP.
Again I dont really know anything about this but Ive had success with this correction in my model hacks to take with that as you will.

Top Bottom