• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changes to PK Flash?

VivaReverie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GreenTL
This has been bugging me for a while, I've been looking up videos and nobody seems to be using this move. How far does it go? Does it charge faster? Does it still do that annoying ground-thing if you charge it up too much?

Ness is one of my favourite characters and it bugs me not knowing the usefulness of this move.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The explosion looks like it might be a little bigger then in Brawl, but otherwise seems unchanged.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
It's functionally similar to Brawl's. It doesn't seem very useful, but I have hope that his Rising PK Flash will be much better.

Tikao

Smash Ace
it is probadly still the flashiest way possible to kill someone ... ok puns aside, it seems to be not 100% useless unlike brawl, simply because you can edgeguard some characters in rare situations, because they will survive longer and can be far away from the ledge because of the new side-blastzones. however, it is still faaar away from being even a decent move, hopefully some of the custom pk-flashes will be good ... atleast it looks good

j3lly

Smash Cadet
Probably because it's slow, predictable and can be easily countered in a competitive setting.

I'm sure I'll rack up kills with it during casual parties tho.

tyrannosaurusrik

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3196-4352-0712
I feel like the blast radius is smaller than in Brawl. I was a beast at PK Flashing people, even my friends that are better than me. Yet in this game it's a little harder for me to land them. I feel like you really have to concentrate the hit to the center of the explosion.

PKIvysaur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1848-2590-1230
It IS bigger. Ive used it a ton and its a great edge guarding move especially for floaty characters like peach and jiggy. Also ppl with fast and hard to control recoveries like marth and lucina are easy to hit if you time it right. I'm In love with this powerhouse of an attack

VivaReverie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GreenTL
Yiss, now that I have the game I have experimented with it quite a bit

...The biggest shame is the fact it still does the ground thing. Oh well, can't win em all.

LemonCola

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3087-6708-0766
I've been playing For Glory a bit today and I have gotten at least 40 PK Flash kills. It's very good for edgeguarding and seems more viable than Brawl. My only complaint is the stiffness of it.

Uffe

Smash Hero
PK Flash isn't as quick as it was in Brawl. It's about in between that and Melee's PK Flash in terms of speed. The blast radius is still big as it was in Brawl. The attack power at max is 37% rather than 39%, which isn't all that much different as it still kills. How practical is PK Flash? Well, that depends. Which opponent are you going up against? If it's Little Mac, then it has potential. If you're fighting an opponent that has superb recovery, then forget it. PK Flash has always been one of those attacks that aren't commonly used, but even then, figuring out how to use it will make your win all the more enjoyable. I certainly wouldn't ignore it.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
PK Flash has a growing hitbox. The longer you hold it, the bigger the area. At max size, the hitbox is about as big as Jigglypuff. This buff alone should earn it more consideration than in previous games. Use it on people trying to recover, or if their shield broke, shorthop it and let it KO at max power for a sweet finish. The 37% damage it does at full charge can be really tempting, but it is more important that you wait for the opponent to airdodge (and finish the airdodge) before releasing. You're more likely to do 27% than 37%, but that's nothing to sneeze at.

I don't know if it is possible to actually succeed in doing this, but I've baited a lot of Villagers into using pocket on PK Flash, but they cannot catch it while charging, so you can just wait for the failed pocket audio cue before releasing. Even if you miss they delay their recovery and you might have enough time to send out a PK Thunder to pop their balloons when they start their recovery.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Actually, PK Flash is SMALLER in this game than it was in Brawl.

It takes longer to get to head level because it travels farther up than in Brawl, and it has less horizontal range.

Gnight

Smash Journeyman
PK flash's hitbox is too damn small. Melee's PK Flash looked epic!

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Actually, PK Flash is SMALLER in this game than it was in Brawl.

It takes longer to get to head level because it travels farther up than in Brawl, and it has less horizontal range.
Do you have a source? It seems that its range has merely been shifted backwards.
Face away from the direction you want to send PK Flash and it may go farther than before, back when it started and ended centered.

PK flash's hitbox is too damn small. Melee's PK Flash looked epic!

Looked epic. Wasn't. See that red dot? That's the damaging area.

Top Bottom