• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changes that Marth should have for 3.6

jollypong

Smash Cadet
I know that marth is a balanced character that doesn't need any buffs or nerfs but he does need some changes that will make him closer to his melee self. The timing for a ledgedash in PM is noticeably faster than in melee and I found this out when I tried ledgedashing in melee and SD'ed multiple times. I think that the ledgedash timing should be more melee so that marth can be more like melee.

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
Although I'm not sure if it is actually already implemented or not, the Marth ledge attack edge hog needs to be in PM.

Also, can we fix that thing were if you use the c-stick during your jump squat you end up double jumping? Sometimes I mistime the aerial and end up much worse off than I should.

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
It only seems to happen if I use up on the control stick to jump. I think it has something to do with how the game reads inputs, but I'm not sure.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
I know that marth is a balanced character that doesn't need any buffs or nerfs but he does need some changes that will make him closer to his melee self. The timing for a ledgedash in PM is noticeably faster than in melee and I found this out when I tried ledgedashing in melee and SD'ed multiple times. I think that the ledgedash timing should be more melee so that marth can be more like melee.
I'm pretty sure the ledgedash timing is more a product of the physics of the engine. I'm not sure if it really can be changed, and if it could idk if we really need it changed when it's fine as is.

InitialK

I'm that TO Guy
If there is anything I would want to be perfected(correct me if I'm wrong.), its how swiftly you could F.Smash from a Dash Animation (Not while DD'ing > F.Smash but while you're actually Dashing > F.Smash.).

I dont know why but compared to melee it was so much easier to pull that off.
Then again, maybe Im just bad and need more practice :p

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Revert forward throw release point to Melee. Right now it's impossible to escape a regrab or f-smash at low percents, which is stupid.
Down air should also be returned to Melee version.

I hadn't realized it until I played a Marth at Sweet 20 today, but PM Marth is really centralized on forward throw forward smash and randy down air spikes. It's not balanced in the slightest lol

Charby

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you should try to DI next time, cause marth can't convert after 5% if you know how to DI.
Yeah they already revert it , if you were wondering.
And what the **** is a random Dair? Nothing 's random don't go in Marth's Spike range that's all.
The first thing bad player do when they loose is asking for a nerf.
Snake getting spiked by Marth is natural.

The only things i would change on Marth:
  • Slight buff on shield Breaker (The "Sheild Breaking" power)
  • And maybe a new F-Tilt , this move is kinda useless right now.

Last edited:

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
Maybe you should try to DI next time, cause marth can't convert after 5% if you know how to DI.
Yeah they already revert it , if you were wondering.
And what the **** is a random Dair? Nothing 's random don't go in Marth's Spike range that's all.
The first thing bad player do when they loose is asking for a nerf.
Snake getting spiked by Marth is natural.
This is literally what I wanted to write but could not find the words.

I can guarantee you that Snake can get out of regrabs or fthrow -> f smash at around 8% (probably lower, but I'm being safe)

And yes, if you use your extremely slow up-b in Marth's spike range, expect to be spiked. I don't understand why people can't get this. Marth's edgeguards hurt IF you recover in a predictable way. But you know, if you could, say recover high, and then drop onto stage while holding some kind of explosive device like a grenade, Marth can't really do much to you unless he spaces up-airs perfectly. But nah, that requires actually knowing a match up, so I guess Marth's too cheap, pls nerf.

And maybe a new F-Tilt , this move is kinda useless right now.
F tilt has its uses, but they're really situational. I often use it over f smash when the opponent is at high percents because it is faster and if you tip, it sends them far enough. Also, you can use it as a mix up against floatier characters after throws or for edge guarding when people expect the f smash because (1) it's less punishable and (2) if they expect the f smash and try to position to punish your (f smash) lag, you can often get something off it. But if the PMDT (is that what they're calling themselves now, I can't keep up) wants to give me a better / less situational move, I'm not going to argue.

Also, is it too much to ask for Marth's Brawl up smash hitboxes? I mean, he doesn't really need them, but it would make his DACUS so much fun.

Charby

Smash Journeyman
USmash was buffed it's better than melee it has his uses too for example against fast faller in combos for example but it's situational too.

cisyphus

Smash Ace
I never said I was recovering, lol. Y'all need to look a little closer at the frame data and realize Marth gets pushed forward by his forward throw moreso than he did in Melee. The followups ARE easier for no reason. It's like y'all think I don't play Marths on the regular in both games.

Last edited:

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
I never said I was recovering, lol. Y'all need to look a little closer at the frame data and realize Marth gets pushed forward by his forward throw moreso than he did in Melee. The followups ARE easier for no reason. It's like y'all think I don't play Marths on the regular in both games.
No, we don't think you don't play Marths regularly in both game. We said you don't play well against Marths, at least in PM. I don't do Melee frame data, but here's PM forward throw. If you can tell me how Marth is moving forwards during or after the throw, I'd love to know, because I don't see it.

[collapse="Animation"]

[/collapse]

And here are the still frames of the first and last frames of f throw

[collapse="Still frames"]

[/collapse]

Even if there is a difference between PM and Melee (I don't think there is, but lets roll with it), I can attest by playing against people who know how to DI that any follow up from forward throw above 4-8% (character dependent) requires either reading the DI or mixing up your throws. The only throw combo that is easier is the chaingrab against spacies, and only because you can now grab through shine.

Also, if you are for any reason getting killed by dair outside of recovering or being combo'd into it, you are playing the match up wrong. It means that Marth was above you which is only ever bad if you're offstage.

Literally the only difference in dair between Melee and PM is landing lag. Assuming you L-cancel, you have a whole 4 frames less lag than in Melee. OP.

USmash was buffed it's better than melee it has his uses too for example against fast faller in combos for example but it's situational too.
I know it's improved, and I was being a little tongue in cheek. It just saddens me a little that Marth's DACUS is one of the longest in the game and yet it's basically useless.

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
That's true. The release point is shorter; nobody is claiming otherwise. But unless you're just not DI'ing it, Marth can't get a follow-up grab past low %s; it only chains if you just sit there and let it happen lol.

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Y'all are also assuming I'm talking about Snake when I'm not.

you need the frame before the f-throw to properly compare positional shifts lol. The example is misleading.

&& on the dair: that's all well and good, but Dair has been changed from Melee. Put the active frames of both Melee and PM dairs side by side and you'll note two things:
1. PM dair hits higher on its final frame, meaning that it can clip higher opponents more easily
2. Every PM frame has more range—note the overlap between the sourspot and sweetspots.

You also fail to consider that Brawl's engine changes aerial interruptible frames. You can use special moves during these frames in brawl—that plainly cannot happen in Melee. Dair has 11 frames of IASA—that's huge. That puts the dair in spots that it couldn't be in melee. It's never when I'm "below marth" that I get randomly dair spiked. It's when I'm level with stage and Marth can just jump out, dair, and still get back because of this engine difference.

And do note that I'm talking about "low percents." Regardless, melee f-throw was escapeable at all percents. PM F-throw is not. My point stands.

I was also equating playing against Marths often to "knowing the matchup." Knowing how to DI throws is level 1 matchup knowledge. I shouldn't have to explain that.

Last edited:

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
you need the frame before the f-throw to properly compare positional shifts lol. The example is misleading.

&& on the dair: that's all well and good, but Dair has been changed from Melee. Put the active frames of both Melee and PM dairs side by side and you'll note two things:
1. PM dair hits higher on its final frame, meaning that it can clip higher opponents more easily
2. Every PM frame has more range—note the overlap between the sourspot and sweetspots.

You also fail to consider that Brawl's engine changes aerial interruptible frames. You can use special moves during these frames in brawl—that plainly cannot happen in Melee. That puts the dair in spots that it couldn't be in melee. It's never when I'm "below marth" that I get dair spiked. It's when I'm level with stage and Marth can just jump out, dair, and still get back because of this engine difference.

And do note that I'm talking about "low percents."

I was also equating playing against Marths often to "knowing the matchup." Knowing how to DI throws is level 1 matchup knowledge. I shouldn't have to explain that.
Any positional shift before the f throw is meaningless because the opponent will shift with you. The "catch wait" animation is the animation you are in while holding an opponent. It is 60 frames long, and all frames share the same basic position. There are two images below, the first is a frame of the the "catch wait" animation. As soon as you enter fthrow, you go from the "catch wait" animation to the "ThrowF" animation. The second picture is the first frame of fthrow. Just to be clear, you transition straight from "catch wait" to " ThrowD", there is nothing in between. There is no movement. If you want to be sure, have a look at the position of the front foot on the floor.

[collapse="Frames"]

[/collapse]

As for Dair, where to begin?

Below are the last active frames for Melee and PM, taken from the respective frame data threads

[collapse="Dair frames"]

[/collapse]

They look pretty similar to me. In fact, PM Marth lost some hitboxes on his left arm which were in Melee. I can't say one way or the other about pm dair hitting higher because they look too similar to me, and obviously they were captured by different means and the different animations mean that the "centre" is in different positions. However, even if it is true, the difference is so minimal that it is nearly irrelevant.

As for the claim of having more range... I don't see it. If someone knows how I can do range comparisons, please let me know and I'll do them. All I can say is that in PM, the hitbox is 5.54 units away from the base of the sword with a size (radius) of 3.52 units, giving it max reach of 9.06 units away from the base of the sword. I have no idea how to calculate this in Melee.

Also, I have literally never heard of aerial interruptible frames, can you point me to somewhere where I can read about it? I searched to no avail. The only thing I know about Marth's dair is it can be interrupted with ANY move on frame 60 in both games. If you can interrupt it earlier, please let me know. However, from my interpretation of your words, this seems universal and intrinsic to the physics engine, not just a Marth thing. I don't see how changing Marth but leaving every other character the same would fix it.

And "low percents", do you mean 0? because you can DI out of the follow up at 4-8% (character dependent) and honestly, that's pretty low. If you get grabbed at 0% you deserve to take more than just the 4% fthrow damage.

As you said, knowing how to DI throws is the most basic of basics. Since you don't seem to know how to do that, it is a fair assumption that you don't know the match up very well.

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
You don't know about IASA? are you kidding me right now? The values are listed in your frame data thread rofl. Nice ad hominem btw. There's multiple confirmations for the data I've given. Just because "you can't see it" doesn't mean it isn't there. lol @ 'lost hitboxes on his arm" which is completely irrelevant to the conversation at hand. If you keep trying to argue through conjecture, this conversation's over.

Last edited:

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
You don't know about IASA? are you kidding me right now? Nice ad hominem btw.
IASA, as I said, is at frame 60 in both Melee and PM. No difference at all. You said "aerial interruptible frames", which is not what IASA stands for (Interruptible As Soon As), or indeed what it is. Non aerial moves have IASA frames.

And yes, there was an ad hominem. Can you disprove it? Can you say that you have sufficient Marth match up knowledge to hold this conversation, despite not knowing how to DI out of throws, which as you say is "level 1 match up knowledge."

Just because its an ad hominem doesn't mean it's not relevant. the knowledge that you have personally is relevant to this conversation, because you are calling for nerfs to a character. If you don't have the requisite knowledge or skill to know if/why those nerfs are required, then that is relevant to the discussion at hand.

cisyphus

Smash Ace
IASA refers to frames in which an action can be interrupted. I.e. Interruptible frames. The Brawl engine changes these frames in the air only therefore "aerial interruptible frames". It's not that hard to understand.

Last edited:

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
I have literally never heard anyone talk about IASA frames being different in the air. Again, can you link me somewhere I can read about it? I'm genuinely curious.

If you keep trying to argue through conjecture, this conversation's over.
Conjecture is opinion. This is not my opinion. Look at his left arm (the one without the sword). The hitboxes are there in melee and not in PM. That is not conjecture. I agree that in hindsight it wasn't totally relevant, but it was something interesting I felt like pointing out. Can you perhaps address any of the other relevant things I said instead of pointing out one line which was not?

EDIT: I see you went back and clarified your point in your post. I think you're confusing Auto-cancel and IASA. IASA (or FAF as they're commonly known now) are frames after which the move can be cancelled by any action. Dair FAF is frame 60.

Auto cancel is the frame at which, when landing, you take normal landing lag instead of the move's landing lag. In both games, Dair auto cancels after frame 48 (and also before frame 5, but that's pretty irrelevant)

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
You don't know about IASA? are you kidding me right now? The values are listed in your frame data thread rofl. Nice ad hominem btw. There's multiple confirmations for the data I've given. Just because "you can't see it" doesn't mean it isn't there. lol @ 'lost hitboxes on his arm" which is completely irrelevant to the conversation at hand. If you keep trying to argue through conjecture, this conversation's over.
Calm down.

I have literally never heard anyone talk about IASA frames being different in the air. Again, can you link me somewhere I can read about it? I'm genuinely curious.
Brawl's engine lets you use specials and airdodges during IASA frames; Melee's does not. You can go a little deeper on rising dj dair as a result, since you can side-b out of IASA and get that slight bit of extra height on your recovery.

Last edited:

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
Revert forward throw release point to Melee. Right now it's impossible to escape a regrab or f-smash at low percents, which is stupid.
Down air should also be returned to Melee version.

I hadn't realized it until I played a Marth at Sweet 20 today, but PM Marth is really centralized on forward throw forward smash and randy down air spikes. It's not balanced in the slightest lol
This was your original post that you've seemed to get distracted from. It's pretty obvious from the first post that you are unaware of the proper DI and escape mechanisms for this situation; or you're just bitter about it and wanna complain about it. If you were grabbed at 0% and DI'ed toward him you might get an Fsmash to the face, if you DI out and got grabbed for the second throw you realize you can so easily DI out/down and buffer role to safety. DO you even buffer role? - thats the important question; cause it's a pretty important skill to have honestly.

IASA refers to frames in which an action can be interrupted. I.e. Interruptible frames. The Brawl engine changes these frames in the air only therefore "aerial interruptible frames". It's not that hard to understand.
IASA frames, like they've been mentioned are different than auto-cancelling aerials. I've also never heard of IASA frames in reference to aerial moves. Most common example of IASA i know of is stuff like how if you Dtilt as marth or roy and hold shield, the animation where the sword is pulled back will finish before shield goes out, but because of the IASA frames you can input a run>cancelling the stab animation>shield.

You should probably take a chill pill or something, for real (or just get out of the thread). You're getting real short with this guy when you were clearly in the wrong in the way you were portraying your information. I dont really know why you're so mad about it honestly. Also his mention of hitboxes on dair wasn't irrelevant, you're just irritated.

It's never when I'm "below marth" that I get randomly dair spiked. It's when I'm level with stage and Marth can just jump out, dair, and still get back because of this engine difference.

And do note that I'm talking about "low percents." Regardless, melee f-throw was escapeable at all percents. PM F-throw is not. My point stands.

Having trouble understanding the scenario where you just get randomly dair spiked when you're "level with the stage". If he's jumping offstage to get you and you're level stage maybe you should work on recovery mix ups or something, other than that i dont see a situation outside of marth rising Dair out of shield - which doesn't come out instant, so you could stop it before the Dair comes out .

You again mention this whole PM f-throw being inescapable but even at the 0% throw, the most he can get is a regrab- he shouldn't be able to Fsmash you straight out with correct DI. If he gets the regrab you will be able to DI and quick buffer roll away before theres any Fsmash punish or third grab/throw off stage. There have been a few posts that have clearly indicated this and you're choosing to ignore that. It can be escaped - it's not broken, of all things i think Fthrow is just fine.

lvl 1 MU knowledge that you are basically telling people straight up that you don't do since you apparently still have an issue?

Last edited:

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
Brawl's engine lets you use specials and airdodges during IASA frames; Melee's does not. You can go a little deeper on rising dj dair as a result, since you can side-b out of IASA and get that slight bit of extra height on your recovery.
I see, that's pretty interesting. I knew you couldn't air dodge out of IASA in melee, but I didn't know about being unable to use specials. Thanks for clearing that up.

However, I still don't think that is too relevant here, because marth's dair animation last for 60 frames, and it's first actionable frame (that is, the first frame you can interrupt the move) is 60. This means that in pm, you can use a special on frame 60, whereas in melee it is frame 61. Does marth really get to go that much deeper from 1 frame?

EDIT: Actually I'm slightly wrong. In Melee, Marth's dair had no IASA frames and lasted 59 frames. This means you should have been able to use a special on frame 60, making the moves functionally identical. I assume melee had no problems letting you use a special move on the frame after a move had finished in the absence of IASA frames?

Last edited:

Hctaz

Smash Rookie
One change I've been thinking goes against the "make Marth identical to melee" mentality but here we go anyway. Basically I've seen some complaints about how counter feels too cheap at some points because of how it's literally a get out of combo free card. I hear that it comes out too fast. On the other end it's really really ****. It IS a get out of combo free card but it isn't really much of a counter. It hits like a wet noodle. I think it would be way more interesting if it hard more startup lag and more ending lag but the counter was stronger (more akin to how Roy's and Ike's are). I mean this is straight up opinion here. I'm not a fan of it being a move that you spam when you're being juggled or a better option to spot dodging. I would like it to be the move you use when Bowser forward smashes you in the face and you want a hard punish with a counter or when your Diddy friend likes to run up and down smash you.

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
I quite enjoy Marth's counter right now, purely because it requires a little prediction but gets you positioning. Marth doesn't really care about damage as much as he cares about being in a good position on stage.

I generally use dodges to get out of bad situations rather than counter since they come out faster, but I agree that there are some situations where counter is the optimal way to remove some pressure. The downside is that if you use it every time you want to get out of something, people will learn and just either wait it out and punish or just grab you. At best it's a defensive mix up option, and making it slower would defeat that purpose.

Although maybe I'm just being a bit biased because I don't want a slower counter because then edge guarding Roy would mean I actually need to commit.

Charby

Smash Journeyman
I have an idea : counter with less lag so you can start a combo with it like a u-air or at least gives you a solid positional advantage, it would be so sweet.
But i doubt it will happen =( .

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
I see, that's pretty interesting. I knew you couldn't air dodge out of IASA in melee, but I didn't know about being unable to use specials. Thanks for clearing that up.

However, I still don't think that is too relevant here, because marth's dair animation last for 60 frames, and it's first active frame (that is, the first frame you can interrupt the move) is 60. This means that in pm, you can use a special on frame 60, whereas in melee it is frame 61. Does marth really get to go that much deeper from 1 frame?

EDIT: Actually I'm slightly wrong. In Melee, Marth's dair had no IASA frames and lasted 59 frames. This means you should have been able to use a special on frame 60, making the moves functionally identical. I assume melee had no problems letting you use a special move on the frame after a move had finished in the absence of IASA frames?
Correct. So given that information, for all intents and purposes the only change to dair in PM is the reduced landing lag. Offstage use wouldn't change at all.

Last edited:

Hctaz

Smash Rookie
Although maybe I'm just being a bit biased because I don't want a slower counter because then edge guarding Roy would mean I actually need to commit.
Edge guarding would work the same you'd just have to use it a little earlier is all I suppose. I guess it would be a little harder -shrug-

D

Deleted member

some consistent ****ing hitboxes would be nice

marths dead space on his attacks is huge compared to the melee version he's based off of. having a character based on tipping that punishes you for tipping "too well" is absolutely brutal to play in such a precise game.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The fsmash hitboxes match; the GFX doesn't, which I guess is pretty frustrating, but the gameplay isn't different. You can see the difference by looking at the sword trails around where the hitbox starts above marth in those pics. Curves upwards in PM pretty significantly, doesn't in Melee.

Last edited:

Hctaz

Smash Rookie
The fsmash hitboxes match; the GFX doesn't, which I guess is pretty frustrating, but the gameplay isn't different. You can see the difference by looking at the sword trails around where the hitbox starts above marth in those pics. Curves upwards in PM pretty significantly, doesn't in Melee.
Is there anything that can be done about that? The gameplay might not be different but it would make figuring out where I need to stand to tip somebody on platforms easier.

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
An interesting idea would be to switch Marth and Roy's counters. Both are situational tools so it wouldn't affect their gameplay much at all, but Roy doesn't really need another kill move, while Marth would benefit more from another kill move, albeit very situational.

D

Deleted member

well i suppose the real issue is the difference between how it looks visually compared to where it actually hits. i whiff moves all the time that pretty clearly "hit" by eyeballing the game. other characters simply do not have this problem.

D

Deleted member

fsmash literally feels the same from melee imo
if you just came in from melee, its fine. if you've been playing PM for a while and got un-adjusted to melee like i did, its visually misleading. i know many people who have said the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

SwonK

Smash Rookie
I feel like the sword can be super misleading too. I'll see my sword literally go right through someone and I'm just sitting there like.... Okay, great. I find it weird that the actual tip of the sword doesn't have a hitbox on it on Down air. The deadzone for F-smash is real. If you are going to be swingin' a sword around and I'm supposed to be super precise with my sword... WHY ARE THERE DEADZONES ON MY SWORD? ESPECIALLY THE TIPPER?

All in all, I like Marth the way he is. His movement feels great, his setups feel great... I just want there to be hitboxes where his sword is at, I guess that could be considered a buff but I see it more as a fix because god damn it, swords don't just randomly go limp.

D

Deleted member

I feel like the sword can be super misleading too. I'll see my sword literally go right through someone and I'm just sitting there like.... Okay, great. I find it weird that the actual tip of the sword doesn't have a hitbox on it on Down air. The deadzone for F-smash is real. If you are going to be swingin' a sword around and I'm supposed to be super precise with my sword... WHY ARE THERE DEADZONES ON MY SWORD? ESPECIALLY THE TIPPER?

All in all, I like Marth the way he is. His movement feels great, his setups feel great... I just want there to be hitboxes where his sword is at, I guess that could be considered a buff but I see it more as a fix because god damn it, swords don't just randomly go limp.

Hctaz

Smash Rookie
I've never been so wrong in my life. Limp swords for days.
Apparently I have a lot more practicing to do to get good with Roy and Marth than I thought.... ;-; Time to go learn every move's deadzone.

Top Bottom