• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changes for Melee HD?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As much as Melee is worshipped, even the most argent of Melee fanatics can't deny that the game has some problems.

* Game Breaking bugs
* Character Balance issues
* Have to get people in the same room to play it together

If Nintendo announced a Melee HD would you want any changes and if so what ones?

Online play and fixing the worst bugs, I don't think anyone can argue with but would you want them to tweak the characters?

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
Based on the sheer amount of Sakurai controversy I can't help but imagine if the game is altered, he will butcher the game to the point where he takes out everything that makes melee well melee.

But in positive terms I think there could be well needed bug fixes.
(cough):gawmelee: 's shield (cough)

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Based on the sheer amount of Sakurai controversy I can't help but imagine if the game is altered, he will butcher the game to the point where he takes out everything that makes melee well melee.

But in positive terms I think there could be well needed bug fixes.
(cough):gawmelee: 's shield (cough)
And L-cancels. Kirby's throws can stand to be a little harder to break out of as well. I think those are reasonable changes.

If anything gets a major change it should be in attempt to get rid of Wobbling imo. I love the IC's but they shouldn't be able to do that.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Kirby's back throw should cover a lot more distance, for you know, reasons. :troll:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It'd be nice if we can turn off tap jump too.

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Allow the C-stick to be used in Training Mode (without another mod like 20XX), and remove the freeze glitch that ICs can do. Even though it is banned in tournaments it shouldn't exist at all. Perhaps even make it easier to escape wobbling as well.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's a minor couple, add the missing trophies from the Japanese version and enabling picture taking in all modes.

Last edited:

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
It'd be cool the bug with the name tag limit was removed. Instead of just being 4 characters it is the original amount it was suppose to be (8 I think)or just increase it to 6 so people's tags don't distract from the game. Remove some of the details in Fountain of Dreams to help reduce the lag which could make it viable for competitive team battles. I would assume that would happen if Melee HD was made in the first place.

Perhaps even add new character colors and outfits or in the least touch up on some of the already existing costumes to look better. For instance, Peach's Daisy costume looks hideous, especially on the character select screen. Let teams have multiple colors that still represent what side they are on like what MagicScrumpy did in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhGt6NedzUw

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Bit of a minor one but iirc there's glitch where you get Kirby's stock icons on other characters.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pretty sure Melee HD would just be Melee....

In HD.

With no real changes.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

In HD.

With no real changes.
Tbh for the community that's asking for it, that's all they really need. Online would be great too, but it's not like Nintendo ever does that well anyway.

Or just end the throw for both players instead of only the opponent.
Seeing as Kirby is arguably the worst in the game, I say doing both should be fine.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

playablegigabowserkthanksbye

EDIT: But seriously, Sonic the Fighters made Metal Sonic and Eggman (who were NPC bosses) playable, so why not? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Yoshi's Grab needs a fix too.

I think a big question would be: what patch would they go off of? PAL or NTSC? I think PAL is a little more balanced, but I enjoy things in NTSC like Marth and Falco's dairs more, and don't wanna see that change. I think certain games allow multiple patches to be played at any time, I think that'd be good for MHD.

Last edited:
Yoshi's Grab needs a fix too.

I think a big question would be: what patch would they go off of? PAL or NTSC? I think PAL is a little more balanced, but I enjoy things in NTSC like Marth and Falco's dairs more, and don't wanna see that change. I think certain games allow multiple patches to be played at any time, I think that'd be good for MHD.
PAL version has the benefit of being more popular.
US has the benefit of being more popular competitively.

Since Melee HD would most likely come about to cater to competitive players it would be an interesting decision to decide between. Assuming they don't jsut have 2 different balances again,

Verted

Smash Rookie
Give Mario just a bit more strength k. But if they actually made Melee HD all they should do is just add online, and maybe add in extra stages and game modes.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Do what Capcom did with Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD; re-balance the game but leave the option to play the unaltered original.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Though if they did that it's possible that the Melee scene would spit into two camps; those who like the new version, and those who prefer the original. Either way Melee HD needs to happen; those CRT's won't last forever and I doubt every player will be able to afford a 1ms monitor with a top tier upscaler like the XRGB-Mini.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Though if they did that it's possible that the Melee scene would spit into two camps; those who like the new version, and those who prefer the original. Either way Melee HD needs to happen; those CRT's won't last forever and I doubt every player will be able to afford a 1ms monitor with a top tier upscaler like the XRGB-Mini.
In a way, they already have these kind of internal debates. I've seen the NTSC vs PAL, and I have no doubt in my mind a new patch would at least be considered as the standard version, but if they don't like it it won't stick. As long as both versions are available, I don't think the Melee community would have any issues with this.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Exclusive/Additional characters such as Sonic and Pac-Man.

Because honestly, If it's literally just the same game with a few bug fixes here and there with prettier graphics and no new exclusive content like that...? Not worth it.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
If they end up making any new balance changes, I bet that despite what logic would tell us they'd end up buffing Marth all because Nintendo's recently been giving Intelligent Systems huge amounts of promotion and poor Roy getting buffs just wouldn't be enough for them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Exclusive/Additional characters such as Sonic and Pac-Man.

Because honestly, If it's literally just the same game with a few bug fixes here and there with prettier graphics and no new exclusive content like that...? Not worth it.
The Melee scene would say otherwise.
Just being able to play Melee on a more modern setup that doesn't require special accommodations would be enough.

And adding newer characters (as in characters not present in Melee, before you point out Sonic and Pac-Man have been in Smash before) from scratch is unrealistic, especially guest fighters.

Make it like Smash4.
That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and would be an extremely poor decision.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
The Melee scene would say otherwise.
Just being able to play Melee on a more modern setup that doesn't require special accommodations would be enough.

And adding newer characters (as in characters not present in Melee, before you point out Sonic and Pac-Man have been in Smash before) from scratch is unrealistic, especially guest fighters.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and would be an extremely poor decision.
a joke ting that melee players want smash 4 like melee or bye bye.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There's a lot I want, but if I'd have to keep it realistic, let's just say that I would hugely prefer the PAL version to be the standarized version. Not only cause that's the version I had been playing for years, but mostly cause of balance issues. Fox, Falco and Marth are definitely too powerful in NTSC, and even Sheik is a major problem cause of her throws. PAL fixed most issues, yet I still think Fox especially is too powerful.

I wouldn't mind a whole lot of character fixing which they done with a lot of veteran characters over the years.

I can't imagine them being content with releasing characters as badly designed as Melee Kirby, Bowser, Roy or Ness whilst all got major buffs in Smash 4 and even Brawl.

Also wouldn't mind if they say, gave Mewtwo his Smash 4 F Air, F Smash, U Smash and power of the Shadow Ball. Mewtwo with this, and of course Confusion would be fun and has is major issues fixed.

DK with a non stupid hurt box and shield and improved grab range would also be amazing.

Also it'd be cool if they left Samus and Ganondorf exactly unchanged. Or maybe make Ganondorf a bit less cloney.

I'd want some newer characters to. Especially Diddy Kong, Meta Knight and Zero Suit Samus. Not only insanely popular veterans from important popular Nintendo franchises, but also extremely well fitting in Melee's environment and competitive nature. Would certainly add a lot of fun to the game, and it wouldn't be too hard to implement.

Also think some items might be removed, especially those coming from Rare.

And for the love of God, nerf Fox's Up Smash and Up Air.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon

In HD.

With no real changes.
This to be honest. Only difference I can see if they plan on remastering Melee in High Definition is upgraded resolution, enhanced music and less glitches (do HD remasters do that? I'm just guessing that), and huge accessibility for those who want to play Melee.

Though since everyone is asking for changes, I might as well chip in. So I guess balance change, online gameplay, and yeah I guess that's it. That's all I got. Though I guess most or some people would be satisfied with Melee HD being unchanged... or not? I wouldn't mind a Melee HD because well, Adventure Mode for the win!

Edit: Ooh, I got one! Co-op Adventure Mode let's go.

Last edited:

MyNameisHobby

Smash Cadet
NNID
HobbyPlaysGames
A Melee HD remaster really wouldn't work in my eyes. Nintendo would most likely polish a Melee HD remaster for the Switch. The glitches made Melee fun. The patched up Brawl after Melee, so I'm pretty sure Melee would be patched up if given the chance.

However, it IS POSSIBLE for a Melee HD remaster to come for the Switch. If Nintendo were to realize that Melee is in the competitive scene and it going to stay there, just like how Smash 4 is, they could leave it unpolished.

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Let's say Nintendo does make Melee HD, what system would the game be on? I don't think it would be on the Switch, for that there are obviously no GCN ports and I am not sure that the adapter the Wii U had connects to the Switch. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Let's say Nintendo does make Melee HD, what system would the game be on? I don't think it would be on the Switch, for that there are obviously no GCN ports and I am not sure that the adapter the Wii U had connects to the Switch. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Since wii U is dead and switch isnt I would presume it would go on Switch

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Character balance. Main reason I prefer Smash 4 over Melee, more diversity and balance are what sealed the deal for me. Otherwise I would just play both Links and Roy for days in Melee.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
This thread compelled me to play mine old copy of Melee--which, though all these years, is completely unscratched! Marth and Ganondorf are still mine favourites--gameplay wise. I still remember how exited I was when I heard that Ganon would be playable. Despite being a clone, I was still glad he got in.

I'd like to be able to grab the ledge from behind. I dare say, I've always hated that feature.

playablegigabowserkthanksbye

EDIT: But seriously, Sonic the Fighters made Metal Sonic and Eggman (who were NPC bosses) playable, so why not? :p
If memory serves me, there was even an announcer voice clip that said "Giga Koopa", so I could see it happening.

Also, characters whom were considered for Melee but ultimately dropped could be added as well. I'd love to see how Ayumi Tachibana would work.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Kirby's throws should not fail,C-stick smashing for single player modes, freeze glitch/yo-yo glich/ soul stunner removed, occasional glich that causes a player to fall through Pokemon Stadium should be fixed,Event trophies added to the game, Puff's reflection's eyes closed on FoD.

Top of my head, but I know there's more.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I think most top Melee players agree that PAL is better balanced.

Personally, I think reducing ending lag so that L-cancelling isn't necessary would be nice, but some people think that it's an important "skill." There's already been plenty of debate on it, so I won't get into it, and I'd still buy the port if this change weren't made.

Top Bottom