• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chandy's 2016 Tier List (New Format)

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
Hey all, if you haven't seen me around the character boards here or on the r/SSBM subreddit, I'm Uplift | Chandy. I main DK but I have spent much of my Melee career studying the bottom half of the cast, which has manifested itself in several tutorials and guides (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) but never a formal tier list. I don't think tier lists are a very useful reference tool in general, but on Twitter someone asked me for mine so I thought I'd make one because the exercise is fun and it's not something I think about often.

As opposed to most tier lists where the creator only really thinks about the top 10 or so and then the rest of the list is based solely on what little they know about the uncommon characters, I spent most of my time on the mid and low tiers and have done my best to group them effectively. I also used a new format instead of the standard unlabeled SABC ordering or "top/high/mid/low/bottom", as I think that labels of viability are more informative and meaningful than the alternatives. Some things to keep in mind:
  • While I did order the characters within their tiers, the tiers themselves represent much bigger gaps in viability than the intra-tier order.
  • Intra-tier ordering gave more weight to recent notable results at majors but given that high level representation of some of these characters is so scarce, I made opinion-based exceptions for three characters: Marth, Yoshi and Pichu.
  • Viable characters (top 3 tiers) are those who could believably make top 8 at a major without considerable bracket luck. I consider a "lucky" bracket to be any one in which you are not forced to play your character's worst match-up(s) for more than one set in top 64.
  • Semi-viable and borderline nonviable characters have the attributes to believably place well at a major, but because of certain bad match-ups it is highly unlikely that a solo-main will be able to place top 8 without a lucky bracket or other unusual circumstances.
  • Nonviable characters are those who have enough good attributes to achieve success in local and regional play, but have too many bad match-ups to believably place well at majors with any consistency. Even with a lucky bracket, these characters have such a bad match-up spread against the top 8 that deep runs at majors are rare if not impossible.
  • Bowser is so ****ty that he deserves his own tier of filth to languish in. No one is bad in the same way that Bowser is bad. I think that with the right representation, the top two characters in each tier have potential to move up a tier (e.g. Fox and Falco could move into their own viable++ tier, Yoshi and Luigi could move up into Viable-, etc.). This is true for every tier except Bowser's. I think he'll always be the worst character in the game by a sizable margin.
Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Why is Zelda so high? She only has like three good moves.
Intra-tier ordering is based primarily on results, and Zelda has the best results of her tier because no one is placing well with M2 or Roy right now.

Zelda over M2 was, to be honest, the most questionable decision I had to make. I am certain that Roy is worse than both of these characters given that all but his fastfaller match-ups are practically impossible and he's super susceptible to obvious and simple counterplay, including crouch canceling, dash dance camping, and platform camping. The only thing that saved Roy from being thrown in Nonviable- is his passable neutral and movement and the fact that his spacies match-up is actually probably the best in the Nonviable tier and is considerably better than anyone below him.

Despite having some of the worst attributes in the game AND several completely useless moves including an infamously ****ty grab and a mediocre grab game, Zelda's few good results and relatively large playerbase (compared to others in her tier and below) make her living proof that two stupidly good moves (fair/bair) and a handful of good moves (dash attack, dsmash, usmash, ftilt) are enough to make a serviceably decent character with a simple but annoying spacing-heavy playstyle based around landing fair/bair. Zelda has a way easier time in the floaty match-ups simply because her kicks are such a powerful tool and the generally slower pace of the match keeps her from being overwhelmed or trapped too easily.

As far as spacies and Falcon are concerned, Zelda and M2 both perform considerably worse than Roy despite the fact that all three of them have pretty good punish games on fastfallers. Roy's speed and good hitboxes make neutral in these fast-paced match-ups doable, but Zelda and M2 have a much harder time. I think M2 has more potential against spacies than Zelda but without recent results it's hard to back that up.

Probably invalid but still nontrivial considerations include Zelda's completely tournament legal ability to turn into the fourth best character in the game, which in a way indirectly improves her viability but obviously ought not to be considered in the spirit of the tier list (i.e. that characters should be judged in a vacuum of sorts, on their own merits). Further, she benefits the most from version 1.0 jank in that she gains a few more decent moves (fsmash, neutral B, nair, usmash) based on SDI differences, although this is also obviously not a very valid advantage due to 1.0 set-ups being so scarce these days.

It's quite possible that M2 and Roy have potential beyond Zelda and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a breakout performance from an M2 or Roy came long before one from a Zelda. Playing Zelda in the best way possible is probably a lot more intuitive and considerably less technically demanding than playing Roy or M2 in the best way possible, but I wouldn't argue with the sentiment that she clearly has less room to grow than the other two. That being said, I think a tier list should reflect both theoretical potential as well as concrete results, and like most people in the current community, I value the results more than the wistful thinking.

Q: Why is Link above Young Link? Most past tier lists have done the opposite.
After splitting the cast into viable and nonviable, the tiers were made based on my assessment of their match-up coverage, primarily vs the top 8 characters but with limited consideration of intra-tier and lower tier match-ups as well.

The nonviable plus tier is the most crowded of the bottom half because it's right at the fringe of where the data points start to drop off. It's also probably the tier where the order is the most arbitrary for the same reason. I placed Link above Young Link for three reasons:

1) Intra-tier ordering is primarily based off of results, and solo Young Link is almost completely non-existent at the top level of play these days. Taj's pocket Young Link managed to place 49th at Paragon, but conflicting reports say he may have also used Link. By comparison, Link's results are better than everyone else's in his tier in terms of both quantity and quality.

2) Considering Link's match-up spread, his worst match-ups (spacies) are not nearly as bad and exploitable as the worst match-ups of everyone else in his tier. DK gets ****** by Falco AND ICs and has a hard time against Peach and Puff, Gdubs gets obliterated by Peach and has pretty tough spacies match-ups as well. Young Link has decent match-ups against some floaties and can "better character" nearly everyone below him, but his spacie match-ups are both easily the worst out of his tier. Even compared to Link and Gdubs who also get pooped on by Sheik, he still has a pretty hard time. As those are probably the three most common characters at the top level of play these days, you really can't put that much faith in yung $$$ as anything more than a lazy, janky, stop-gap measure floaty counterpick. You can't say much better for anyone else in his tier, though, so it's really not that big of a deal.

3) His intra-tier match-ups are actually pretty good, and because Young Link can "better character" pretty much everyone below him, he gets the edge on Gdubs, who similarly lacks recent results (besides Qerb at 49th at Pound 2016) and cannot claim the same dominant match-ups against the lower half nor the decent match-ups with some of the mid/high tiers that the kid has. However, Link also has pretty good intra-tier match-ups (he may lose to YL) and also invalidates much of the cast below him.

Q: Why is Bowser in his own tier? Is he that much worse than Pichu, Kirby and Ness?
Bowser doesn't have a single winning match-up. He has indisputably the worst overall attributes in the game, with a large hurtbox, bad grounded mobility and aerial mobility, perfect weight and fallspeed to get combo'd by everybody, and terrible frame data. His movement is awful because of his slow dash and super long jumpsquat. His aerials besides fair either have bad hitboxes or too much start-up and end-lag to be effective in most both punish and neutral interactions. His regular throws and command grab throws already have limited combo potential, but are completely ineffective because the animations take so long that it's hard to get the necessary DI mix-ups to convert on anyone who knows the match-up. Aside from utilt, which is fast but has a lot of endlag, and uair, which can combo but also has too much start-up and endlag, Bowser doesn't really have the tools combo anyone. Even fastfallers, who get combo'd by literally everyone in the game, can just double jump out of Bowser's follow-ups like 90% of the time because he's so slow. One stupidly good out of shield option can't save Bowser from being the Melee equivalent of the Hindenberg.

The tier above Bowser is better than him simply because they have at least one winning match-up, which is against Bowser. If you wanted me to quantify just how many times more viable Ness is than Bowser, I literally wouldn't be able to do it, because there is nothing you can multiply zero by to get a nonzero number. In addition to the fact that solo Bowser hasn't had a decent result since the Bush administration, the other characters are also better in that they are real characters, and not some postmodern avant-garde deconstruction of what a Melee character represents, like Bowser. Ness, Kirby, and Pichu all have attributes that allow them to meaningfully interact with the top 8 characters in neutral and punish situations, unlike Bowser, who either hopes that the opponent doesn't know the match-up or loses.

Please let me know what you liked or didn't like. Thanks.

-Chandy Chandy Chandy <3 <3 <3

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Falcon and climbers being in the same tier as puff and peach is very generous. Not a bad list though. Falcon is right on the line of viability, with climbers slightly under him. Not to say climbers are completely unviable.

I would honestly say puff is viable+ also.

Last edited:

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
The order of top 8 wasn't tough, but the grouping was. As far as inter-tier viability gaps are concerned, the gap between Sheik and Puff is the smallest of any on the list. I was actually considering moving Puff into viable+ and ICs down into Viable-, but decided against it in the end. I feel that despite Hungrybox having a great year, I agree with his and many other top players' opinion that Puff's overall strength as a character is closer to the second tier than the first. Hbox just happens to be a good enough player to overcome that disparity (which, truth be told, is honestly not that much). When we're debating viable versus viable with a cherry on top, any distinction can seem arbitrary. Semantic distinctions like these are probably why tier lists have little practical value as a reference tool in the first place.

I let Falcon stay in the viable tier because his potential at the top level is just starting to be realized via breakout performances from n0ne, S2J, and Wizzy (to a lesser extent, Gravy too) at larger tournaments this year. I've always felt that he's just a shade worse than Peach, and that can be debatable, but he's more than proven he deserves to be ranked alongside her.

Climbers staying out of Viable- was a tough call, but ICs have had a pretty good year all things considered and it's hard to justify kicking them out of the tier they've always been in when they haven't really been underperforming at majors or dropping off in representation. The "potential" argument that saved Falcon is less potent here, but still a nontrivial consideration. For now I think we should give them benefit of the doubt, but give it a year and I could very well change my mind. While the overall skill of the ICs playerbase seems to be increasing, more and more people seem to be learning the match-up these days so you never know.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ehh, I don't always buy into the player getting all the credit. Hungrybox isn't perfect. He IS showing us what puff is capable of, and that is beating every other character at top level with considerable consistency.

As far as falcon goes, he's always had this potential. People who would claim so we're often criticized, but it's true. It depends on how much super theory bros you're willing to play, because on the theory end, he can easily win a national, and on the IRL end, he hasn't done it yet. I say he's right on the line of viability mostly because of this. I firmly believe he can take a national and that wizzy is the most likely one to do it, but it hasn't happened yet.

I never said climbers should be a tier below falcon, but yes I would definitely say falcon is more viable.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I like how the discussion in a thread about the tier list of somebody who focused mostly on low tiers is mostly on the high tiers ;P

"Q: Why is Zelda so high? She only has like three good moves." - A: They are very good moves though.

I'd mostly ask about the placing of GaW, which seems abnormally high. (Actually I'd also claim that Yoshi is worse. That character is so horrible once you learn how to play against him... but whatever :D)

garotis

Smash Cadet
Finally, a tier list that puts Link above Young Link. I've always felt that way.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah, I guess I should've read everything again. To me viability is centered around the ability to take a national, not just get top 8. To each his own on that.

Squire

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to agree with -ACE- that Falcon and Climbers being up there with Puff and Peach isn't necessarily out of control, but it's sort of a stretch. They do well in tournament, but on a national level, from what I've seen Puff and Peach tend to perform better. But honestly, in the last month or so, I've had... confusing feelings about Falcon. Through recent tournaments he's made me feel feelings I thought I had lost long ago...

--Uhh anyways, as a former YL main (still have a decent YL as secondary, don't test me) I'm actually going to agree with Link above YL. I've always felt his power and slight move variation gives him a bit of an edge over YL, even if he's slower and heavier. Like a less intense Doc vs. Mario comparison, as opposed to Falcon vs. Ganon, where it's sort of the other way around...? (not a perfect analogy, but leave me alone).

Maybe I skipped over this when I skimmed the thread, but G&W being that high? He can't even L-cancel all his aerials and dies at Babby's First Up-Smash percent. Not that the order is necessarily incorrect, but the fact that he's in the Monkey Links tier seems strange. I could be convinced about the Ness placement, but I've always seen him at about the same tier but above Pichu/Kirby. Idk much about those three though, and my argument is entirely based on the fact that my friend is really good with Ness in friendlies, so if you tell me to shut up on that one, I'll just sit here quietly.

Bowser: .... lol rip

Top Bottom