• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chances of 9 in Extreme Judge

Cenizas

The Zelda We Need, But Not the One We Deserve
3DS FC
1032-1809-6196
As unsure as this custom move seems, I thought it would be a good idea to run some tests and clarify the chances of drawing 1 or 9. I measured this by:
  • 5 sets of 100 swings of Extreme Judge
  • A set is defined by each refresh of a match in training mode.
  • Each swing was tallied up under the number drawn.
  • Mr. Game and Watch's percentage was recorded as well to verify the number of times 1 was drawn.
Set 1: "1" was drawn 76 times, "9" was drawn 24 times. G&W has taken 380%.
Set 2: "1" was drawn 75 times, "9" was drawn 25 times. G&W has taken 375%.
Set 3: "1" was drawn 84 times, "9" was drawn 16 times. G&W has taken 420%.
Set 4: "1" was drawn 81 times, "9" was drawn 19 times. G&W has taken 405%.
Set 5: "1" was drawn 84 times, "9" was drawn 16 times. G&W has taken 420%.

By averaging the number of times 9 was drawn, you get 20. Therefore, the chance of drawing 9 with Extreme Judge is about one fifth up from one ninth in other variations. I am by no means a statistics wizard, so any better conclusions others can make is absolutely welcome.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Not so much of a productive comment, but that seems fairly accurate imo.

I believe it's about 1/5, maybe 1/4, but some have said even 1/8. Anything can be right.

At least now almost everyone will know it's certainly not 1/2, and I liked your testing btw.

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
I have done tests personally with 1000 hammers of each custom for a guide I'm working on, and it is indeed ~20% of gaining a 9 in this case. This is good verification. Thanks.

Ultimately it's a bad custom, because the average damage you get for using it compared to regular judge is about two and a half times what you normally get despite the decreased damage per each 1 obtained. Chain Judge, which does no damage to you, has lingering hitboxes, and has probability more preferable for a consistent playstyle, is the best choice.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Extreme Judge is underrated for one reason. Getting a 1 is actually safe on hit. Overall though, I definitely wouldn't use it over Chain Judge in most cases.

Last edited:

GingyCTMF

Smash Rookie
This thread is beautiful. Good work OP :)

I have done tests personally with 1000 hammers of each custom for a guide I'm working on, and it is indeed ~20% of gaining a 9 in this case. This is good verification. Thanks.

Ultimately it's a bad custom, because the average damage you get for using it compared to regular judge is about two and a half times what you normally get despite the decreased damage per each 1 obtained. Chain Judge, which does no damage to you, has lingering hitboxes, and has probability more preferable for a consistent playstyle, is the best choice.
But since 1 has knockback, it makes punishment a lot less likely. That means that you have to factor in the chance of getting hit because of a 1 from chain judge, whereas a 1 with extreme judge is less likely to put you in that situation. Also lingering hitboxes can be a double-edged sword.

Extreme Judge is underrated for one reason. Getting a 1 is actually safe on hit. Overall though, I definitely wouldn't use it over Chain Judge in most cases.
but yeah, chain judge does 14% average, normal judge 11% and extreme judge 8.6% (going by your stats), so if judge is a move you use for damage/spacing, chain judge is a lot better, but if you rely on it for early kills, extreme judge is twice as likely to do that for you and at least a bit less punishable on 1 hit.

But i think we agree that both of them are better than default Judgement. :p

Mr. Odd

Smash Cadet
I actually cannot stand extreme judge. I have not tested chain judge thoroughly, but right now, default judge is best judge in my opinion.

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
I think extreme judge is pretty good but on average you have to cause 20% damage to yourself to get a 9. I'm not 100% sure but i think you can get 2 guranteed dthrow > sideb followups that they can't di out of at all per a stock (assuming you can get the grabs and also assuming that you are using attacks other than grabs). That gives you one stock in a 2 stock best 2 out of 3 set for 30% assuming you aren't (un)lucky. It might be worth it against someone like lucario that you want to ko as fast as possible or really heavy characters but in most cases i think chain judge is the better for the extra damage and less repercussions to yourself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom