• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chance Your Wii Won't Even Run Brawl? Smokers Beware?

Phat Yoshi

Smash Cadet
Sorry If this has already been discussed, things are pretty fast pace now that Brawls out in Japan.

Looks like some Wii units are having a hard time running the dual layered DVD that Brawl comes on. Nintendo seems to be blaming dirt and tobacco build up on the lazer or something to that effect. Seems down right far-fetched to me.

If its true it looks like it could be the start of a "red ring" like problem for the Wii, if its false at least it will be worth a laugh or two.

I think its just a story made up to get people worked up, but oh well, guess I fell for it. :dizzy:

Sources, If you even want to call them that.

http://play.tm/story/15932
http://www.slashgear.com/smoke-filled-wiis-wont-play-super-smash-bros-brawl-0510077.php

Yukichu

Smash Apprentice
So now smokers not only get physically owned, but virtually owned?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nintendo is, after all, the kiddy company out of the Big 3 (Microsoft being the "Manly Man" (a.k.a. Manchauvanistic Macho Pig) company and Sony being the "Bishounen" (a.k.a. Gay/Girly/Metro) company), after all.

It's probably a hidden (built in and intentional) function to subtly wean kids off smoking.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
well, then thankfully, I am not a smoker, nor do I play with my Wii outside in the dirt. Its on a table. Me ftw.

:cool:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
ok seriously wtf. i go home on the weekends from NIU and bring my wii alot. which means i have to carry it outside, right past the door.......where people are smoking outside the dorms.

if my wii wont play brawl and i dont even smoke, somebody's gonna get their sack torn off

Ekul

Smash Journeyman
My friend takes his wii in and out of the library for tourneys, and he has his stand up on its side. His is actually known to freeze occasionally.
My wii, however, has never left its spot, never fallen over, has a taped sensor bar and is inside a cabinet with lots of DVDs around it. My wii has never had a malfunction.

Phat Yoshi

Smash Cadet
Is dust consider dangerous too? :p
Did I type dirt? Sorry thanks for bringing that up... according to the article dust can cause this malfunction.

"Apparently, build ups of dust and tobacco in the disc drive's laser unit could be causing the issues, Super Smash Bros. Brawl coming on a dual-layer DVD which can be more sensitive to such clogs."

The full articles are in the OP.

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
wow, i'm guessing no one had this problem..EXCEPT ME!!!! this is ****ing bul****! I went through all the trouble to import a *** wii and the game and IT WON"T WORK AT ALL. anyone who can help would be appreciated.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
wow, i'm guessing no one had this problem..EXCEPT ME!!!! this is ****ing bul****! I went through all the trouble to import a *** wii and the game and IT WON"T WORK AT ALL. anyone who can help would be appreciated.
stop smoking

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
if the UK they have warnings on cigarette packets like "Smokers die younger" and "Smoking lowers sperm counts and decrease fertility"

Now they'll just have a stick on which says "No brawlz 4 u!1!"

Smoking = bad for you.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
dang if this is true and prevents me from playing Brawl I might go on a rampage :p

Luigi player

Smash Master
oh **** that ****! My mum smocks A LOT and I always smell this ****. I have to have my window open all the time to get rid of it. I really hate that. I can't stand smoke... and now my Wii will suffer too from this :( but I think dust is a bigger problem... >_> I should clean it every now and then I guess...

Phat Yoshi

Smash Cadet
You wouldn't think that dust alone could cause this kind of stuff to happen, but if it does, thats crap.

Either way I'm sure it won't be a major issue. I mean there has to be some easy solution to clean your Wii's laser/lens/whatever other then sending it in to Nintendo.

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
Wow, smoking really is bad for you. Not only do you go to Hell, but you can't even play Brawl. Fancy that.

jk jk

:D

EDIT:

I've started my Wii on the patch. Hopefully by March 9th it will have made a complete recovery.
That made me **** my pants, lol

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
If Nintendo knew about this, they wouldn't be releasing it without fixing it. This stories are for the Japanese or English brawl copies? I'm betting it's just the first few copies (this has happened with games before; the game not working).

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
pretty soon-My wii has the sore throat of death....

i think this is ridiculous...i smoke as do all 4 of my roomates.

We have the xbox360, ps3, and the wii all beside each other...apart form an xbox360 dying (big surprise, replaced it with an elite), ive had no problems at all. The lens in the ps3 is far more sensitive than the wiis and its done fine.

Phat Yoshi

Smash Cadet
If Nintendo knew about this, they wouldn't be releasing it without fixing it. This stories are for the Japanese or English brawl copies? I'm betting it's just the first few copies (this has happened with games before; the game not working).
Just Japanese copies of Brawl, as they are the only copies of Brawl out there, for now anyway. But Nintendo isn't blaming the discs, but dirty/dusty/tobacco covered Wii lens.

According to the articles Nintendo is fixing the effected Wiis free of charge, so thats good news if something really does come of this.

Krell

Smash Journeyman
I keep mine clean and my house is smoke free. ^____^
I just wonder if I will have a problem since I got mine the day Wii came out.

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
stop smoking

**** off **** head i don't smoke, this has nothing to do with ****ing smoking. my *** wii doesn't work with brawl and i'm ****ing pissed right now-probably dust. you don't need to act like a ****head smartass to me.

CreamPuffDoom

Smash Apprentice
Well, I guess I don't smoke and haven't intentionally put any dust in my Wii. But if it doesn't play, I am not going to be happy.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
ok seriously wtf. i go home on the weekends from NIU and bring my wii alot. which means i have to carry it outside, right past the door.......where people are smoking outside the dorms.

if my wii wont play brawl and i dont even smoke, somebody's gonna get their sack torn off
Dude, walking by someone who's smoking won't do ****. Are you that stupid, or was that sarcasm?

EON_MagicMan

Smash Cadet
Drclaw411 said:

I laughed out loud. It's ironic that someone in university would think that walking past people smoking would have an impact. The reason smoking would have an impact is because it would be long term, you dip. It would gunk up the lens the same way it makes walls and that sort of thing smell, after a long term buildup. Just goes to show you don't have to be smart to go to university.

Cheezball

Smash Ace
I keep mine clean and my house is smoke free. ^____^
I just wonder if I will have a problem since I got mine the day Wii came out.
I am worrying about that too. I am afraid that it won't read Brawl because it is the first version which doesn't have a DVD reader/player...

Cheezball

Smash Ace
Okay, keep in mind, tabbaco, except for the smoke, is a solid substance. So unless your shoving tabacco or dirt down your Wii (EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!) you should be fine.
Trying to get your Wii to smoke, I can actually imagine someone doing that. Standing next to their Wii and saying "Hey bro, you want a cig?" and he shoves it in the disk slot and lights the match.

Top Bottom